• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why Audiophiles Are Shopping for Vintage Turntables

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Here is Yang Mi, color coordinated and posing with a 'modern' but retro styled record player console. I'm sure vinyl-philes wouldn't mind taking her it for a spin. A hands on demo/review is not planned, but if it happens, measurements to follow...

View attachment 95937
They must have invested a lot of Photoshop to pull these legs.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Since everyone probably desires another photo of this turntable (in order to zoom in on all its features), and because it is Thanksgiving (and we should all be thankful for something), I'm going to post one more of this decidedly high quality unit. With it in mind, I look forward to the 'vinyl' revival.

mi2.jpg

Robin L

Master Contributor
Since everyone probably desires another photo of this turntable (in order to zoom in on all its features), and because it is Thanksgiving (and we should all be thankful for something), I'm going to post one more of this decidedly high quality unit. With it in mind, I look forward to the 'vinyl' revival.

View attachment 95989

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm concerned that by holding on to the lid of the turntable, the delightful young woman may be causing a disturbance to the playback. This was the case in both photographs.

She should be encouraged not to hold onto the lid whilst the record is playing.

S.

Robin L

Master Contributor
I'm concerned that by holding on to the lid of the turntable, the delightful young woman may be causing a disturbance to the playback. This was the case in both photographs.

S.
I think she might be using it as a whammy bar.

hmscott

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Here is Yang Mi, color coordinated and posing with a 'modern' but retro styled record player console. I'm sure vinyl-philes wouldn't mind taking her it for a spin. A hands on demo/review is not planned, but if it happens, measurements to follow...
I did an image search, hoping to find out more info on the turntable console - Crosley Dansette? - and what I found was most disturbing, Yang Mi is in a new movie releasing on New Years Day 2021, titled: “Assassination of Novelists”

"-“Assassinated Novelist” released a character poster

The movie “Assassination of Novelists” directed by Lu Yang and produced by Ning Hao released character posters, featuring six starring actors Lei Jiayin, Yang Mi, Dong Zijian, Yu Hewei, Guo Jingfei, and Tong Liya. In addition to the actors, the posters also show bizarre scenes of different worlds, solemn idols, colorful peacock lamps, and candle dragons in the sky.

The film will be released on New Year’s Day in 2021."

Perhaps it is simply a matter of a translational shift of true meaning, but I really hope the title of the movie isn't as it appears in the English Translation.

Original Chinese Advertisement - Google Translate

Crosley Bermuda Turntable - $249

Yeah, not quite that either... I'll keep looking :)

Last edited:

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

S.

she is doing active dampening

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I did an image search, hoping to find out more info on the turntable console - Crosley Dansette? - and what I found was most disturbing, Yang Mi is in a new movie releasing on New Years Day 2021, titled: “Assassination of Novelists”

The movie “Assassination of Novelists” directed by Lu Yang and produced by Ning Hao released character posters, featuring six starring actors Lei Jiayin, Yang Mi, Dong Zijian, Yu Hewei, Guo Jingfei, and Tong Liya. In addition to the actors, the posters also show bizarre scenes of different worlds, solemn idols, colorful peacock lamps, and candle dragons in the sky.

Perhaps it is simply a matter of a translational shift of true meaning, but I really hope the title of the movie isn't as it appears in the English Translation.

Google Translate

What a crappy, poorly done advert.

First, the sound mix is awful, her voice swallowed by the music.

Second: you never even see the full device including the stand. Even when she talks about how you can use it with the stand, it cuts to an image close up cutting out the stand! Yeesh.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

View attachment 95989

This post has been approved.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The movie is taken from a short story by Shuang Xuetao. A fantasy about a link between this world and an alternate reality. Evidently the 'novelist' in this world has to be taken out in order to prevent problems in the other world. I guess sort of a Terminator 2 kind of plot.

Thanks for catching that about the Crosley. Those retro record players were similar to my first. As a kid we had a suitcase like turntable--the record player part folded down, and the speakers could be detached. Ceramic flip over cartridge. Four speed!

hmscott

The movie is taken from a short story by Shuang Xuetao. A fantasy about a link between this world and an alternate reality. Evidently the 'novelist' in this world has to be taken out in order to prevent problems in the other world. I guess sort of a Terminator 2 kind of plot.

Thanks for catching that about the Crosley. Those retro record players were similar to my first. As a kid we had a suitcase like turntable--the record player part folded down, and the speakers could be detached. Ceramic flip over cartridge. Four speed!
Ah, kind of like those dream sequences where the "Dreamer" needs to be woken up to stop the "monster" or "bad thing" from happening. Or, more like the "magical typewriter" that will make whatever is typed on it come true - so whoever is the "novelist" is writing the stories needs to be "stopped". Very interesting.

I really enjoyed "The Wandering Earth" from 2019 translated for the English speaking audiences, perhaps this movie will be translated too? :)

killdozzer

Major Contributor
This lady is beautiful

killdozzer

Major Contributor

Original Chinese Advertisement - Google Translate

While this one looks quite frustrated.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I really enjoyed "The Wandering Earth" from 2019 translated for the English speaking audiences, perhaps this movie will be translated too? :)
Most foreign films seem to be released with a multi-language soundtrack. As long hard media is sold, and as long as the translation is done by a human, and not a machine, Chinese to English translation can be done pretty well.

Idiomatic expressions take a bit of creativity to translate. For instance the literal phrase "kill a chicken to scare a monkey" might not be intuitive to an English speaker. Or, for instance, n English we might say, "That song is so cool", which literally translated might wind up as "That song is frozen."

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

earlevel

The last regular-use turntable I had was a B&O in the ‘80s (PS Audio PS-IVH preamp, Perreaux 2150B amp, Canton CT-1000 speakers). I’d already switched CDs by the time I took a look and saw that the kids had apparently mangled the stylus, so it just went to junk.

Years ago, I bought a Pro-ject 1.2 turntable, just to have around and to digitize a ’79 LP of my band for which the master tapes whereabouts are unknown. I bought a cheap phono pre from Guitar Center, for convenience. It died before I used it (turned into an oscillator), but just outside the 30 day return—wasn’t worth paying shipping to have it repaired. I had an old NAD 3020, so I used that to digitized the album. I never got to cleaning up the audio files before my office/studio was burglarized, all the computers and backup storage stolen, among other things.

So more years go by and thoughts return to the digitization project. I made a pass at it, the NAD was in such need of maintenance it was adding noise (noisy volume pots, switches…) intermittently. I remembered the PS-IVH. But it was dead, obviously needed a recap. So I recapped it. By this time, I decide to upgrade the cartridge, because I wasn’t all that impressed (stock was Sumiko Oyster—old style—bought a Nagaoka MP-110).

I have three pressings of the album plus a test pressing, tried to find the best—crappy vinyl, lots of embedded ticks. I got down to cleaning, and there is hum. WTF, it wasn’t humming before. Takes me a bit to figure it out, since it’s intermittent, but ultimately it’s not grounding or the pre, it’s the motor. (I tested this morning, just leaving the motor on, no audio—dead quiet for about 40 minutes, buzzed constantly thereafter.) But Izotope RX7 (and 8—the upgrade came along mid-project) handled that pretty well, and I finished the album cleanup with impressive results.

But ultimately it bugged me having a useless turntable with a new cartridge, even if I didn’t have much use for a turntable. I still have a few hundred albums, some never made it to digital, just not a “pressing” need to listen to them when I have Apple Music and pretty decent pro audio gear to listen through.

So, yeah, I wouldn’t be adding to this thread if I hadn’t ordered a Panasonic PLX1000 this morning. I almost bought a Rega during Cyber week, but the similarly fragile nature of it and its peers like the Pro-ject was a little unappealing. I don’t mind fixing stuff (besides the PS-IVH, I recapped my Lexicon PCM70 and Oberheim OB8 also in the past year), but reading of tinkering (new belt etc.) on brand-new Regas to get the speed right, gymnastics of dismantling the tonearm and reseating the magnet to put in my MP-110…a bit more of a "tank" build was appealing.

More in keeping with the thread: My buddy offered me the KM Audio Linear turntable in his closet, but I decided that could be another restoration project. It’s a Transcriptor clone, he put a nice tonearm on it, but I don’t see much about it on the net, don’t know the quality level. I may give it a whirl, and compare to the PLX if I have time. Anyone know anything about the KM?

PS—Reloop 7000 MK2 is pretty much the same thing as the PLX—has reverse, bypass-able pre, but lacks headshell, lid—for $200 less. Ultimately, I wanted the headshell and lid, didn’t care about the others, and the 20% coupon Guitar Center sent me worked for Panasonic but Reloop was excluded—guess there is a substantial margin difference. So basiclly a wash if I had to buy a headshell and lid with the Reloop.

Top Bottom