• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard X16 Balanced MQA DAC Review

xup

I can also use a Raspi4 if it ist better.
I believe they are referring to the fact that the rpi3 has a shared bus for the USB and the network. If you use your rpi3 over wifi it should be ok. If you're using with ethernet, you might want to use rpi4 if you have one available (or if you're buying new anyway)

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I believe they are referring to the fact that the rpi3 has a shared bus for the USB and the network. If you use your rpi3 over wifi it should be ok. If you're using with ethernet, you might want to use rpi4 if you have one available (or if you're buying new anyway)

I don’t have a pi3 but i heard the issue is still there even if you don’t use LAN.

xup

I don’t have a pi3 but i heard the issue is still there even if you don’t use LAN.
That I can't comment on, just explaining what the known issue is. It was fixed with rpi4, so would be better anyway

witchdoctor

Impressive. My worry about Gustard is product support. Last time I checked, they didn’t have a website and were only sold through eBay. I guess they are sold some other places now but I’d still like to know a little more about the company.
On Apos website they offer a 2 year warranty on product sales.

Fjfjsh

Well unfortunately I received this email today, so it seems we are back right where we started .
20201209_000232.jpg

yep the USB on the pi4 is perfect, you can use it. But i would try it with the pi3 it might work. But yeah 100% okay on pi4 with USB

I use a HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro with my Pi4 (running PiCorePlayer) to feed my SMSL M500 DAC via SPDIF. Do you think the sound quality, in theory at least, could be better if connected the Pi directly to the DAC with a USB cable instead?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I use a HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro with my Pi4 (running PiCorePlayer) to feed my SMSL M500 DAC via SPDIF. Do you think the sound quality, in theory at least, could be better if connected the Pi directly to the DAC with a USB cable instead?

I'm currently using the Digi+ Pro too till the X16 arrives. Theoritically, USB should be better, (the blocks are synced to the DAC's master clock, aka Asynchronous USB). But honestly it's DAC dependent. check Amir's review for your DAC, usually he shows best case scenario for the very first score.

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor

Usually there is less jitter from USB. And I understand SPDIF signal is got directly from a pin from the processor (or from the GPIO, it's the same) so, If I was in the same case, I would prefer to use USB.

And for those we are afraid of the Rasp, there is plenty of NUC computer sometimes as low as 100€, with Intel processor. Or Atomic Pi, or Radxa Pi X...

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Usually there is less jitter from USB. And I understand SPDIF signal is got directly from a pin from the processor (or from the GPIO, it's the same) so, If I was in the same case, I would prefer to use USB.

And for those we are afraid of the Rasp, there is plenty of NUC computer sometimes as low as 100€, with Intel processor. Or Atomic Pi, or Radxa Pi X...

Can you install shairport on an X86 system? Spotify Connect?

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
Can you install shairport on an X86 system? Spotify Connect?
Do not know exactly, but I am pretty sur you can use Spotify with Logitech Media Player and Daphile. Shairport it's for Apple and I am more in the side of Open Source so for me Apple is the devil. Sorry. And know after to use my keyboard for typing the name of this brand I have to wash my hands.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Do not know exactly, but I am pretty sur you can use Spotify with Logitech Media Player and Daphile. Shairport it's for Apple and I am more in the side of Open Source so for me Apple is the devil. Sorry.

Well Google's Chromcast sourcecode hasn't leaked yet so if Apple is a devil then Google is Satan. lmao

Fjfjsh

Pfff, Isn't it rather a a legal/licence issue ?
Well it seems Gustard is telling their suppliers that they will have the license issue soon resolved. Either they are just stringing them along or they are really close to resolving the licence issue.

Top Bottom