• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Raspberry pi streamer

Charles_b

Hi guys,

Perhaps there has been a post on this (although I couldn't find it?)- I know I can set up a raspberry pi as a streamer, I wanted to plug the USB from a RPI into my d90 DAC. However, a lot of the rapberry pi streaming solutions require a server or pc that has to be turned on (e.g ropieee + roon).

So my ideal setup would look like this:
raspberry pi>topping d90>pre/power amps.

I was hoping to control raspberry pi from my android phone, without the need for roon/server.

Is there any raspberry pi software that can do that? I'm also using tidal so integration with that would be nice.

many thanks,
Charles

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi guys,

Perhaps there has been a post on this (although I couldn't find it?)- I know I can set up a raspberry pi as a streamer, I wanted to plug the USB from a RPI into my d90 DAC. However, a lot of the rapberry pi streaming solutions require a server or pc that has to be turned on (e.g ropieee + roon).

So my ideal setup would look like this:
raspberry pi>topping d90>pre/power amps.

I was hoping to control raspberry pi from my android phone, without the need for roon/server.

Is there any raspberry pi software that can do that? I'm also using tidal so integration with that would be nice.

many thanks,
Charles
There most definitely is. Quick questions first - do you have the MQA D90 or the standard one and are you wanting to stream Tidal as MQA or CD resolution?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If you’re a streaming person only (no digital files).

I would install RoopieXL and enable airplay and DLNA.

then use mconnect (on your phone) to stream Tidal Tracks over DLNA, the app has great Tidal integration.

if you do occasionally have digital files on board i would look into volumio.

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I absolutely love the RPi 4 with RoPieeeXL...mainly b/c it actually does auto-update. The developer is very active on the Roon Forum too https://community.roonlabs.com/c/audio-products/ropieee/56

Capture.JPG

OP
C

Charles_b

There most definitely is. Quick questions first - do you have the MQA D90 or the standard one and are you wanting to stream Tidal as MQA or CD resolution?
I have the mqa version-i would like to start stream it mqa resolution. I know there is a lot of debate about MQA but tidal is the only hi Res streaming platform in my country of residence (no qobuz) and being as I have already spent the money on an mqa DAC, I wanted to get some use out of it. The only alternative would be to drop £500/€500 on a bluesound node 2i but I don't have the funds for that right now.
Currently, I plug my laptop (with tidal on) into usb in on d90 mqa DAC. I wanted a way to browse/change track or album all from the comfort of my chair (preferably using an android phone) whilst at the same time getting considerably fatter!

Many thanks,
Charles

OP
C

Charles_b

If you’re a streaming person only (no digital files).

I would install RoopieXL and enable airplay and DLNA.

then use mconnect (on your phone) to stream Tidal Tracks over DLNA, the app has great Tidal integration.

if you do occasionally have digital files on board i would look into volumio.
Excuse my ignorance but what is DLNA? Would it be able to do that at MQA quality?

Many thanks

OP
C

Charles_b

Or picoreplayer, which can run a local server and library as well as integrate streaming services.
With picoreplayer, do you need a server with all your tracks on? I only want to stream from tidal, could it do just this? Would i get mqa quality if I plugged the RPI into my mqa DAC?

Many thanks

OP
C

Charles_b

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I like the look of rune but it's the thought of having to have a dedicated server and the additional monthly cost. Am I right or is there a way to run it without a server/pc running constantly in the background?

Many thanks
To use Roon, you must have a the Core running on a computer of some sorts. Some use the NUC, some use the Nucleus and some like myself use a W10 machine or other computer.

https://roonlabs.com/howroonworks

https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/roon-optimized-core-kit

Personally, I did the lifetime contract years ago so there is no monthly cost. :)

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Excuse my ignorance but what is DLNA? Would it be able to do that at MQA quality?

Many thanks

DLNA is kind of like file sharing but for music.

a DLNA renderer can play any file that you’re forwarding to it (cross platform-ly) unlike solutions like google chormcast or airplay which are limited by the eco system you’re in.

using mconnect i can play MQA tracks (unfolded) and my DAC can do a complete unfold via USB.

OP
C

Charles_b

To use Roon, you must have a the Core running on a computer of some sorts. Some use the NUC, some use the Nucleus and some like myself use a W10 machine or other computer.

https://roonlabs.com/howroonworks

https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/roon-optimized-core-kit

Personally, I did the lifetime contract years ago so there is no monthly cost. :)
I've just had a look at the nucleus-its a bit pricey. An NUC unit looks quite affordable, small and cute-could be a possible option.
I guess when I thought of a dedicated roon server, I thought of having to have my laptop constantly on 24/7 which I wasn't too keen on. Also, there are the monthly roon subscription fees

Many thanks,
Charles

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've just had a look at the nucleus-its a bit pricey. An NUC unit looks quite affordable, small and cute-could be a possible option.
I guess when I thought of a dedicated roon server, I thought of having to have my laptop constantly on 24/7 which I wasn't too keen on. Also, there are the monthly roon subscription fees

Many thanks,
Charles
You can do it either way. The NUC is the most cost effective by far. There are not monthly Roon fees if you buy the lifetime subscription.

https://roonlabs.com/pricing

roon.JPG

OP
C

Charles_b

DLNA is kind of like file sharing but for music.

a DLNA renderer can play any file that you’re forwarding to it (cross platform-ly) unlike solutions like google chormcast or airplay which are limited by the eco system you’re in.

using mconnect i can play MQA tracks (unfolded) and my DAC can do a complete unfold via USB.
Now this sounds promising. Do you have to pay any monthly subscription fees for any of the software that you mentioned? Do I need a pc/server to be running in the background constantly (like roon requires)?
Can I sit in the comfort of my chair, use the app on my phone and get fatter?

Many thanks

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Now this sounds promising. Do you have to pay any monthly subscription fees for any of the software that you mentioned? Do I need a pc/server to be running in the background constantly (like roon requires)?
Can I sit in the comfort of my chair, use the app on my phone and get fatter?

Many thanks

i think i payed 7 euros for mconnect on the app store, but mainly due to its excellent Tidal integration.

very recommended, effortless use.

Sukie

Forum Donor
I have the mqa version-i would like to start stream it mqa resolution. I know there is a lot of debate about MQA but tidal is the only hi Res streaming platform in my country of residence (no qobuz) and being as I have already spent the money on an mqa DAC, I wanted to get some use out of it. The only alternative would be to drop £500/€500 on a bluesound node 2i but I don't have the funds for that right now.
Currently, I plug my laptop (with tidal on) into usb in on d90 mqa DAC. I wanted a way to browse/change track or album all from the comfort of my chair (preferably using an android phone) whilst at the same time getting considerably fatter!

Many thanks,
Charles
No problem on the MQA front. I don't use MQA but I'm more than happy to help. I also agree with the "I've paid for it so I'll use it" approach.

What you'll need is software for the RPi that's "imaged" on to the micro SD card - really easy to do and lots of info online about it. You'll then need some way of controlling this from your phone. I'll tell you how I do it.

Set up 1
RPi running Moode Audio, controlled by Bubble UPnP app on android phone
Moode can't handle Tidal (or Qobuz, which is what I use) on its own. This means that I set Moode as a UPnP renderer. I then control this with the Bubble UpnP app. All sounds complicated but it's not.

Set up 2
RPi running Volumio, controlled by MyVolumio user interface
Volumio can handle Tidal (see EDIT2), and Qobuz, but there is a small charge for this (I pay £2.78 GBP a month)

Obviously set up 1 is cheapest (there's no additional cost other than the Qobuz subscription). Neither option requires a Roon-type Core and both options allow streaming of locally stored files from an attached USB flash drive.

Here's the key issue and one where I can't speak from personal experience. As far as I'm aware, to play an MQA file as an MQA file, your D90 needs to get a bitpefect MQA file from the RPi.

If I was going down the RPi route I'd experiment with the following set up:

RPi running Moode Audio, configured as a UPnP renderer and with volume control disabled. I'd then use Mconnect Android app as the UPnP controller, sign in with Tidal and that should do everything that you need.

Instead of Moode you could use Volumio. You could either use this a UPnP renderer or (as in set up 2 above) you could pay the MyVolumio subscription. If you pay for MyVolumio you wouldn't need Mconnect Android app as MyVolumio allows you to sign in to Tidal on the MyVolumio User Interface. (See EDIT 2)

Again, all of this sounds complicated, but it's not. People are here on this forum to help.

HOWEVER!!!! There is a much easier alternative, but this only works if you're happy to physically plug your phone into your DAC using a USB cable. You could then use USB Audio Player Pro Android app. This handles MQA and no additional hardware is needed. I used to use this in my main set up, but now prefer an RPi as it doesn't physically tie me (well, the phone) to the DAC.

EDIT: @abdo123 might be able to answer whether or not the bitperfect UPnP streaming option works as he's in on this discussion and uses MQA

EDIT2: It sounds like the UPnP option will work, but don't use MyVolumio for Tidal due to poor integration (alright for Qobuz though)

Last edited:

GDK

Forum Donor
You don't need a new computer to do this. If you want to save money, pick up a used one to use as a dedicated Roon server. I am using a 2009 Mac Mini that I paid C$200 for and it works perfectly.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No problem on the MQA front. I don't use MQA but I'm more than happy to help. I also agree with the "I've paid for it so I'll use it" approach.

What you'll need is software for the RPi that's "imaged" on to the micro SD card - really easy to do and lots of info online about it. You'll then need some way of controlling this from your phone. I'll tell you how I do it.

Set up 1
RPi running Moode Audio, controlled by Bubble UPnP app on android phone
Moode can't handle Tidal (or Qobuz, which is what I use) on its own. This means that I set Moode as a UPnP renderer. I then control this with the Bubble UpnP app. All sounds complicated but it's not.

Set up 2
RPi running Volumio, controlled by MyVolumio user interface
Volumio can handle Tidal (and Qobuz) but there is a small charge for this (I pay £2.78 GBP a month)

Obviously set up 1 is cheapest (there's no additional cost other than the Qobuz subscription). Neither option requires a Roon-type Core and both options allow streaming of locally stored files from an attached USB flash drive.

Here's the key issue and one where I can't speak from personal experience. As far as I'm aware, to play an MQA file as an MQA file, your D90 needs to get a bitpefect MQA file from the RPi.

If I was going down the RPi route I'd experiment with the following set up:

RPi running Moode Audio, configured as a UPnP renderer and with volume control disabled. I'd then use Mconnect Android app as the UPnP controller, sign in with Tidal and that should do everything that you need.

Instead of Moode you could use Volumio. You could either use this a UPnP renderer or (as in set up 2 above) you could pay the MyVolumio subscription. If you pay for MyVolumio you wouldn't need Mconnect Android app as MyVolumio allows you to sign in to Tidal on the MyVolumio User Interface.

Again, all of this sounds complicated, but it's not. People are here on this forum to help.

HOWEVER!!!! There is a much easier alternative, but this only works if you're happy to physically plug your phone into your DAC using a USB cable. You could then use USB Audio Player Pro Android app. This handles MQA and no additional hardware is needed. I used to use this in my main set up, but now prefer an RPi as it doesn't physically tie me (well, the phone) to the DAC.

The volumio Tidal integration is pure garbage (even the new one)

Volumio is great for old school audio listening (CD rips) but they migrated poorly into the streaming world.

Sukie

Forum Donor
The volumio Tidal integration is pure garbage (even the new one)

Volumio is great for old school audio listening (CD rips) but they migrated poorly into the streaming world.
What about the UPnP option? That doesn't require Tidal integration as you would use it with Mconnect. I'm assuming that this would be okay as that's what you've suggested in one of your earlier posts in this thread.

Interestingly enough the Qobuz integration on MyVolumio is pretty good, but I do prefer using a 3rd party app (and I do prefer Moode)

Top Bottom