• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

After Neumann KH 310A Review: What to buy?

ichonderoga

Forum Donor
I pose you this (not so simple/straitforward) question: Benchmark AHB2 + Graham LS5/9 or a pair of Neumann KH 310A?

BACKSTORY: I have loooong been looking at a Benchmark AHB2 + Graham LS5/9 combo, but now I'm reconsidering. I'm a big believer in the numbers and measurements this site is bringing to the table as part of the what-to-buy process. Not to mention there's cash left on the table when going the Neumann route. I also really like the thougt of active speakers where everything is made to fit eachother. I know the Grahams are made for the BBC sound and the Neumanns are as flat as possible...

I'm hooking everything up to my newly purchased (and much loved) Topping D90 via XLR.

UPDATE: I now realize that I started a new hifi journey, which began with the Sanskrit 10th MKII/V2 AK4493 edition, then the Topping D90 (non-MQA version) and then the Topping L30. A journey that is leading me on the path that all my equipment might very well be replaced with ASR measured equipment in the years to come :)

UPDATE #2 - TLDR (~85 post on this thread):
Speakers suggested: Genelec 8340 or 8350 or 8331 or 8341A SAM, Neumann KH-420 & KH-870 combo, Neumann KH310 & KH750 DSP combo, Grahams LS5/8, Harbeth H30.1 or Super HL5 plus, KRK ROKIT G4 and GGNTKT Model M1.
"Today I learned"...
- The "BBC sound" - some measurements suggest a dip after 5khz and non-existent after 15khz - this due to (among other things) bbc radio broadcasts were hardwalled above this. This is a summary read through the many posts for the complete story - I suggest @ctrl post, @DSJR post, @tuga post & post, ...
- Speaker cabinet materials, stiffening and the resonances this inccurs. I suggest @richard12511 post and @Frank Dernie post.
- The Genelec SAM EQ'ing isn't really my cup of tea.
- I'm going the active speakers route (after being a pwr-amp guy for 10+ yrs). It's just a question of when and what product I end up buying (I'm still eyeing the KH310).

Last edited:

detlev24

Undoubtedly, people would push you towards the KH 310A on ASR. :D

Although more expensive but with comparable performance and arguably a nicer finish, the GGNTKT M1 could be an option [to the KH 310D - with additional digital inputs].

dfuller

Major Contributor
If it was me, I'd go for the KH310s - not only because I generally like how they sound (and man do they sound good), but also because it's fewer cables to buy and one less piece of gear I have to deal with. Plus, with the KH310s, they have each driver separately amplified - which is good, because it means they can take advantage of the fact that the low driver inevitably needs considerably more power than the mid or tweeter. Also, a sealed cabinet means no weird resonance problems from a bass reflex design.

F1308

Major Contributor
May I recommend a last effort in a further step, and make it two KH-420 placed over two KH-870 ?
Both from Newmann...
Around 14700€ without grills...

Last edited:

okok

Bruno the hypex guy from molamola making speakers too, what's the model name..

OP
ichonderoga

ichonderoga

Forum Donor
May I recommend a last effort in a further step, and make it two KH-420 placed over two KH-870 ?
Both from Newman...
Around 14700€ without grills...
Wow! That's expensive.

OP
ichonderoga

ichonderoga

Forum Donor
To all, thanks for the great suggestions - I'm really leaning towards the KH310s

OP
ichonderoga

ichonderoga

Forum Donor
If it was me, I'd go for the KH310s - not only because I generally like how they sound (and man do they sound good), but also because it's fewer cables to buy and one less piece of gear I have to deal with. Plus, with the KH310s, they have each driver separately amplified - which is good, because it means they can take advantage of the fact that the low driver inevitably needs considerably more power than the mid or tweeter. Also, a sealed cabinet means no weird resonance problems from a bass reflex design.
A lot of very good points that really hit home with me :)

OP
ichonderoga

ichonderoga

Forum Donor
Undoubtedly, people would push you towards the KH 310A on ASR. :D

Although more expensive but with comparable performance and arguably a nicer finish, the GGNTKT M1 could be an option [to the KH 310D - with additional digital inputs].
Yeah but these are for the man-cave so waf isn't that important ;-)

ps. I'm not (currently) replacing my D90 with any other DAC.

Last edited:

detlev24

Yeah but these are for the man-cave so waf isn't that important ;-)
I understand. :D

The remaining main differences would be that the M1 has the electronics outsourced, which might be beneficial in some installations and depending on your room acoustics, the cardioid radiation pattern [via selectable mode] above ~250 Hz might come in handy, as well; especially for close-to-rear-wall placements.

Furthermore, the M1 has a HF compression driver which performs exceptionally good - as expected (see distortion measurements here and here).

The rest is pretty comparable to the KH 310_s, including the closed cabinet design philosophy. But yes, the KH 310 would save some bucks. Anyways, both are great choices - and really not comparable to the LS5/9_s... ;)

Last edited:

F1308

Major Contributor

Attachments

• KH870+KH310.jpg
    KH870+KH310.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 344
  • KH310.jpg
    KH310.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 337

F1308

Major Contributor
@F1308, maybe the following would be a better fit for the KH 310_s [price/performance]:

KH 750 DSP

:)
I am not an expert, just following pairing by Newmann itself....
Probably my next setting for my Fantom 8.
YUPIIII.

By the way,: it looks huge in your pictures !!!!

F1308

Major Contributor
Yeah, this being ASR the answer you'll get is going to be the latter. You don't 'need' a Benchmark, BTW. Even the DACs from Neumann's 'D' line of monitors aren't that special.
Anyway, regardless of what is inside (check Genelec's:"Main interest in testing this unit is the use of the TPA3118 class D amplifier which is used in all kinds of other devices including Genelec 8030c powered monitor!" : https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/sabaj-a1-desktop-amplifier-review.17357/ ), the sound is great, so thanking the maker for helping my search come to a halt.

Last edited:
Top Bottom