• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Elac Debut Reference DBR-62 Speaker Review

Benedium

Forum Donor
^ I am using and recommend: https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/powe...reo-amplifier-ncore-2x250w-4-ohm-p-14278.html

Pair it with a good DAC/Preamp and it doesn't get audibly better.

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/powe...annel-class-d-ncore-4x250w-4-ohm-p-14356.html

Or

3x monobloc:
https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/powe...-mono-class-d-ncore-1x250w-4-ohm-p-14445.html

Which would be best for my 3x dbr62 LCR and denon avr x3600h? Thanks in advance for your advice.

Last edited:

Willem

Major Contributor
Pity, the AS501 is a best buy in the Netherlands, at 359 euro for 2x85 watts rms and phono, optical and coaxial inputs.

Benedium

Forum Donor
I probably won't get a power amp anymore haha. My DBR62s sound very good in my small living room now, especially with my avr's Dyn EQ off.
In my case, i guess any upgrade a good class D power amp brings may not be worth the cost. Maybe I should save for a second subwoofer instead... heheh.

Last edited:

ksulliva01

Finally grabbed a pair of these (used on ebay for $450 "like-new" condition). I have to echo a lot of what's been said already in this thread. These are excellent speakers and a welcome and notable upgrade over the 6.2's. I bought the 6.2's last year after reading all of the rave reviews and from day one I was disappointed with them. I was turned on to Elac by my father who had a pair of the original 6.0's which really surprised us with their strong bass and smooth/warm signature in such an affordable package. So I bought the 6.2's which I soon learned don't have strong bass, or a warm signature and they always felt lean and slightly brittle/bright/harsh. They are neutral and accurate and fine for the price, but I just couldn't understand why so many reviewers claimed massive improvements over the originals. I feel they overly compensated for the negative feedback of the 6.0's in the second generation design. The debut 6.2's actually have a quite similar sonic character to my powered Yamaha HS8 studio monitors - bright and accurate but not "enjoyable." This had me wary to upgrade to the references, as a few of the youtube guys claimed they are more like a 6.2+ and not really worth it. Granted, I prefer a warm presentation with ample bass, but I couldn't disagree more. Here are my subjective impressions of the dbr62.

In comparison to the 6.2's, the dbr62's have a punchier bass response and deeper perceived bass extension, a smoother and less overly-forward midrange, and somehow retain all of the high-end detail while presenting it in a less harsh manner. For me, the high end really hits that difficult balance between resolution and softness, so they never sound "veiled" but also do not sound harsh, grating or sibilant. I always wonder how this is achieved, as it seems more than just recessed highs, because even with heavy dsp EQ on the 6.2's I never got them to show a smooth tonality to the upper frequencies. Imaging is great, and in my room seems to envelope the ears with a more pronounced stereo-ness, vocalists/dialogue in movies is dead center, and panning effects are super accurate. There just really seems to be no gaps in the frequency response - nice and full and balanced all the way through, and I actually enjoy the little hump between 100 - 300 hz which adds a nice meatiness to the presentation without sounding "bloated." I have them paired with the newer Sonos amp and the clarity and slightly clinical nature of the little (yet powerful) Sonos class D seems to pair well with the slightly laid-back nature of these speakers. Overall just a great balance between warm/lush/musical and resolving/accurate/detailed. Amir said it in his review - what a joy!

These are a proven winner on these forums, but I'm not sure why these didn't get more love from the youtube reviewers - the overwhelming consensus is that they are boring, particularly in comparison to the Klipsch RP600M (which measured horribly here) and Triangle Bro3, neither of which I've heard so I can't comment. Does boring just mean not bright or not "U" curved in the response? I don't really find these boring at all - they bump bass nicely without a sub, have a natural mid range and smooth, resolving highs - they make almost anything I throw at them sound great. I think the hype train is just tired of solid, affordable bookshelves from A. Jones that do exactly what they are intended to do - and reviewers are looking for a new narrative. Are these speakers really too polite?

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
Finally grabbed a pair of these (used on ebay for $450 "like-new" condition). I have to echo a lot of what's been said already in this thread. These are excellent speakers and a welcome and notable upgrade over the 6.2's. I bought the 6.2's last year after reading all of the rave reviews and from day one I was disappointed with them. I was turned on to Elac by my father who had a pair of the original 6.0's which really surprised us with their strong bass and smooth/warm signature in such an affordable package. So I bought the 6.2's which I soon learned don't have strong bass, or a warm signature and they always felt lean and slightly brittle/bright/harsh. They are neutral and accurate and fine for the price, but I just couldn't understand why so many reviewers claimed massive improvements over the originals. I feel they overly compensated for the negative feedback of the 6.0's in the second generation design. The debut 6.2's actually have a quite similar sonic character to my powered Yamaha HS8 studio monitors - bright and accurate but not "enjoyable." This had me wary to upgrade to the references, as a few of the youtube guys claimed they are more like a 6.2+ and not really worth it. Granted, I prefer a warm presentation with ample bass, but I couldn't disagree more. Here are my subjective impressions of the dbr62.

In comparison to the 6.2's, the dbr62's have a punchier bass response and deeper perceived bass extension, a smoother and less overly-forward midrange, and somehow retain all of the high-end detail while presenting it in a less harsh manner. For me, the high end really hits that difficult balance between resolution and softness, so they never sound "veiled" but also do not sound harsh, grating or sibilant. I always wonder how this is achieved, as it seems more than just recessed highs, because even with heavy dsp EQ on the 6.2's I never got them to show a smooth tonality to the upper frequencies. Imaging is great, and in my room seems to envelope the ears with a more pronounced stereo-ness, vocalists/dialogue in movies is dead center, and panning effects are super accurate. There just really seems to be no gaps in the frequency response - nice and full and balanced all the way through, and I actually enjoy the little hump between 100 - 300 hz which adds a nice meatiness to the presentation without sounding "bloated." I have them paired with the newer Sonos amp and the clarity and slightly clinical nature of the little (yet powerful) Sonos class D seems to pair well with the slightly laid-back nature of these speakers. Overall just a great balance between warm/lush/musical and resolving/accurate/detailed. Amir said it in his review - what a joy!

These are a proven winner on these forums, but I'm not sure why these didn't get more love from the youtube reviewers - the overwhelming consensus is that they are boring, particularly in comparison to the Klipsch RP600M (which measured horribly here) and Triangle Bro3, neither of which I've heard so I can't comment. Does boring just mean not bright or not "U" curved in the response? I don't really find these boring at all - they bump bass nicely without a sub, have a natural mid range and smooth, resolving highs - they make almost anything I throw at them sound great. I think the hype train is just tired of solid, affordable bookshelves from A. Jones that do exactly what they are intended to do - and reviewers are looking for a new narrative. Are these speakers really too polite?

Maybe too polite. This is like salt in your soup. Maybe you prefer to feel the taste of each vegetable, maybe you are among the ones who salt before to taste.

When there is no salt, it's possible to EQ, when there is already some salt, you cannot remove it. But some prefer salty.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm fine with that.

Dynamic EQ gives me just the right amount of salt and pepper when things are quiet (background music). Without it the DBR/DFR are dull - but most neutral speakers are, including most of the good speakers tested here. That's because their frequency response is designed for a target average listening level. If you diverge from that, YMMV. This need for a response that adjusts based on volume applies to all speakers; I just want to point out that V-shaped speakers have it built in. The downside to such a design is that they get tiring when you turn them up.

marcom22

I'm fine with that.

Dynamic EQ gives me just the right amount of salt and pepper when things are quiet (background music). Without it the DBR/DFR are dull - but most neutral speakers are, including most of the good speakers tested here. That's because their frequency response is designed for a target average listening level. If you diverge from that, YMMV. This need for a response that adjusts based on volume applies to all speakers; I just want to point out that V-shaped speakers have it built in. The downside to such a design is that they get tiring when you turn them up.

I'm totally agree with you. It's the same situation that I feel with my Elac DBR-62

ksulliva01

I'm not afraid of some seasoning as long as it enhances what's already there rather than covering it up. I use the loudness feature on my amp at lower volumes. I believe that Sonos automatically flattens the loudness curve as volume increases but I often just turn it off at higher volumes.

Benedium

Forum Donor
I'm fine with that.

Which reference level offset setting do you use? Or do you change it depending on source and content?

Benedium

Forum Donor
There's probably a chance my subwoofer bass together with room modes or whatever are causing dyn EQ to destroy details and the speaker's 3D soundstage (especially the depth and localisation of sounds). Maybe I should try moving the subwoofer around again.

Last edited:

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Which reference level offset setting do you use? Or do you change it depending on source and content?
I set my sub levels such that I can leave it at zero for music. I rarely need to change it.
There's probably a chance my subwoofer bass together with room modes or whatever are causing dyn EQ to destroy details and the speaker's soundstage. Maybe I should try moving the subwoofer around again.
It's possible. If you don't have a flat bass response, if you don't have a well optimized crossover point, sub and speaker locations, all of that can affect clarity. I tend to find a lower crossover improves clarity. I stay between 60-80 Hz.

Vyacheslav

Good afternoon! In Russia, you can order speaker systems Elac Debut Reference DBR62. But the seller says that Dali Oberon 3 is available for order. Tell me, what is the difference in the sound of the DBR62 and Oberon 3 acoustics?

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Good afternoon! In Russia, you can order speaker systems Elac Debut Reference DBR62. But the seller says that Dali Oberon 3 is available for order. Tell me, what is the difference in the sound of the DBR62 and Oberon 3 acoustics?
Privet comrade...
Dali Oberon 3 was measured by i-fidelity.net
It looks a bit bright, but if you're listening off-axis, at about 30deg, it should be more neutral.
Elac DBR62 is proven to sound good without EQ needed, while Dali Oberon 3 would likely need EQ if you're listening on-axis.

Vyacheslav

Privet comrade...
Dali Oberon 3 was measured by i-fidelity.net
It looks a bit bright, but if you're listening off-axis, at about 30deg, it should be more neutral.
Elac DBR62 is proven to sound good without EQ needed, while Dali Oberon 3 would likely need EQ if you're listening on-axis.
Thank you for the answer! I don't use an equalizer when listening to music. Usually I listen to vocal jazz, instrumental music. Now I have a Fyne Audio F300, this acoustics with a narrow direction, if I move around the room (18 square meters) the sound changes. If I understood you correctly, the sound of Elac Debut Reference DBR-62 is natural and does not require a filter in comparison with Dali Oberon 3. Sorry, I speak Russian and write to you with the help of a google translator.

Top Bottom