• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Patreon Donations for Audio Hardware Review and Measurements

Wombat

Master Contributor
Shitter rhymes with Twitter - tweet, tweet, twiddly tweet.

CSRB8vrWwAAdS_g.jpg

+1. PayPal for when I feel benevolent.
(I don't need no more passwords to remember in writing).

Last edited:

c1ferrari

Forum Donor
I would contribute and prefer the idea of using PayPal gift/send to friend/family or simply issuing a check.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Asking for Donations:

1. You need a good story with which the potential donors can identify.

upload_2017-12-17_18-11-9.png

2. Don't let the potential donors know you drive a Mercedes.

Pregnant%2Bbeggar%2Bwith%2Bboy%2Bdrives%2Boff%2Bin%2Ba%2BMercedes-Benz.jpg

3. There could be more suggestions, but I don't want to further besmirch what is left of any good name I have here.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Training video:

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
2. Don't let the potential donors know you drive a Mercedes.
Reminds of this investigative report of Las Vegas housing where people break into the countless empty homes and make it their own. The sheriff went into one and told them to leave. They had children and all. Just when you were shedding a tear after them saying they are homeless, they all got into a Mercedes car and drove away!!!

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Worse are the ones who move in while the owner is away then claim squatters rights forcing the owners to go to court to get their house back. A local family came home from an overseas tour to find their house occupied and it took months and thousands of dollars to get their own house back! Which was trashed, natch.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
America has really gone down the shitter since you kicked us out..
Not to worry, we went on a path to correct things last November,
Making America Great Again. ;)

Wombat

Master Contributor
Not to worry, we went on a path to correct things last November,
Making America Great Again. ;)

I recently heard a political commentator say that the term United States Of America has become an oxymoron. Obviously 'fake news'. :confused:

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Any update on the PayPal option?
Yes. I just created it. But have not tested it since I hate paying myself. :D

To donate, click on your alias on top right of the forum. In the drop down select "Account Upgrades."

upload_2017-12-22_20-37-39.png

Once you click that, you are presented with three options. I have set them to $25, $50 and $100 per year. There is no auto-renewal. It just expires then and you can choose to donate or not.

When you click on the option you like, you are taken to Paypal. You can use your paypal account if you have one. If you don't, just tell it so and you can enter any credit card you like.

Please let me know if you see any issues. I went as far as going to paypal.

Thank you advance for your donation. :)

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
OK, I gave it a shot. Let me know if it went through. Only second level; cheap, been an expensive year, and still saving to pay the tax bill after my Dad's passing. I suggest making it accessible after the first time in case folk want to contribute later (the option to give seems to have vanished after I gave once?)

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
OK, I gave it a shot. Let me know if it went through. Only second level; cheap, been an expensive year, and still saving to pay the tax bill after my Dad's passing. I suggesting making it accessible after the first time in case folk want to contribute later (the option to give seems to have vanished after I gave once?)
Thanks a lot Don. It did indeed work! It is much appreciated regardless of amount.

The donation is good for a year after which you get a notice that you have already done so. Did you think you would want to donate again during that time?

Also, what do we want to the title to be? For now I gave you the Patreon Donor title but that doesn't fit anymore. And for paypal I created three levels so what do do about that?

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Thanks a lot Don. It did indeed work! It is much appreciated regardless of amount.

The donation is good for a year after which you get a notice that you have already done so. Did you think you would want to donate again during that time?

Also, what do we want to the title to be? For now I gave you the Patreon Donor title but that doesn't fit anymore. And for paypal I created three levels so what do do about that?

No worries. And yes, my thought was I (and others) might give more later, like after getting through the holiday and tax season. I have been subject to enough ID attacks and unexpected expenses that I am hesitant to give monthly, but am quite willing to contribute as I can (like after my next round of RSUs vest in April). And if something comes up during the year, like a rash of new projects you want to do, then I'd like to help out if I can.

Another forum I help moderate went the advert route earlier this year and I do NOT like it. Some of the adverts are very annoying, like pop-up videos (I use an ad blocker), and there has been a lot of pushback. Of course, the folk complaining loudest about the ads, are usually the ones not interested in donating to support the site (isn't the Internet free? :rolleyes:).

I don't actually care about the title, nor really wish to distinguish by level (a college kid giving $50 is in reality donating far more than I at the same level). If you add titles, I would simply call it "Donor" or maybe "ASR Donor" and leave it at that. It might be nice to recognize donors, but whether they gave $1 or $1000 I figure is their business, and don't care to know. If folk feel they need special recognition for higher levels, fine, but that is not why most of us are here IMO. Frankly, I am amazed at the amount of time and money you've poured into this place, and am glad to help as I can.

Last edited:

Wombat

Master Contributor
No worries. And yes, my thought was I (and others) might give more later, like after getting through the holiday and tax season. I have been subject to enough ID attacks and unexpected expenses that I am hesitant to give monthly, but am quite willing to contribute as I can (like after my next round of RSUs vest in April). And if something comes up during the year, like a rash of new projects you want to do, then I'd like to help out if I can.

Another forum I help moderate went the advert route earlier this year and I do NOT like it. Some of the adverts are very annoying, like pop-up videos (I use an ad blocker), and there has been a lot of pushback. Of course, the folk complaining loudest about the ads, are usually the ones not interested in donating to support the site (isn't the Internet free? :rolleyes:).

I don't actually care about the title, nor really wish to distinguish by level (a college kid giving $50 is in reality donating far more than I at the same level). If you add titles, I would simply call it "Donor" or maybe "ASR Donor" and leave it at that. It might be nice to recognize donors, but whether they gave $1 or $1000 I figure is their business, and don't care to know. If folk feel they need special recognition for higher levels, fine, but that is not why most of us are here IMO. Frankly, I am amazed at the amount of time and money you've poured into this place, and am glad to help as I can.

I participate in another no-advertising forum. Donations are selectable from $5 to $100 in $5 increments. Pay at will. Donors are not identified. (Forum members are not equal in their capacity to donate so individual ratings seems unfair to me).

A progressive amount for the month is shown in the banner-head area of the forum.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Iv sent you some cash, now I want a red banner saying “ ASR doughnut “ ...
Thank you Thomas. As to doughnut, that is an American thing and it is against the law to export it.

Top Bottom