• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Searching Dt770 PRO 80ohm amp with a Panasonic micro hifi cdplayer as source

Phlebas

Hi there,

this is my first post on this forum, that's why I think some words about me can be good before asking your help.

I literally love music since more than 20 years but only in recent times I started to consider more refined ways of listening.

My very first steps were the purchase of a good entry level DAP: a Cayn N3 combined with a pair of Sony MDR-EX45; not an exciting combo but miles better than my previous old companion of many running sessions, the sansa clipzip. An honest and durable player,excellent budget solution for the time.

Unable to buy a real and complete HiFi, two years ago I bought a micro hifi system, a Panasonic SA-PMX80 I bought it mainly to listen my hundreds of CD album.

Six months ago I bought my first serious headphones: DT770 PRO 80 ohms. Highest impedence ever experienced. Closed ones with very good bass response and very good for the music listen to: from Steven Wilson to death metal: from Exodus to Pink Floyd (mainly rock and metal).

Asked Panasonic about the headphones output of my receiver but they give me an hilarious reply ("you have to connect headphones with 3.5 mm jack").
So I did the experiment by directly testing them.
They work decently with the Panasonic, but to have a decent volume, I am forced to keep it on 40/50 or 50/50.

That's why I am considering the purchase of an headphones amp (or amp/dac in a future perspective) and bring the DT770 to real life.
My main purpose is listening my cd music collection.

Need a confirmation: can I use an headphones amp to pilot my DT770 80 ohm using as source the rca aux in entry of my Panasonic
receiver?
I'm not sure if it is a good source. This is probably a stupid question, but I am here to learn.
Immagine 2020-11-30 140318.JPG

If yes I was considering several amps or amp/ dac.

Cheaper ones:

Nobsound FX-Audio DAC-X6 audio DAC and headphone amplifier

Nobsound ESS9018 USB DAC OPT/COAX Digital to Analog Converter Headphone Amp 24Bit/192kHz (looks like a new product, no reviews out there)

Great ones:

Topping L30

JDS Labs ATOM (sadly no more available on amazon for me)

These last two ones exceed my starting budget but I would consider them if the cheaper ones at last could not bring a decisive improvemente of my listening-experience.I could also pay more if one of these two amp can be a good starting point for a future upgrade.

I have other doubts and questions but I stay with these ones I wrote here for now as I won't overclock you all (and myself).

That's the first time I write in an audiophile forum so please be patient with my noob question and lack of good technical inputs.

Thank you in advance.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The panasonic has a line INPUT and is not an output.
You can used the headphone output of the Panasonic and connect that to the L30 or any other amp when you use a 3.5mmTRS to 2x RCA cable.
Some headphone amps have a 3.5mm TRS jack input, in that case you can connect the 2 devices using a TRS 3.5mm jack to 3.5mm TRS jack cable.

OP
Phlebas

Phlebas

The panasonic has a line INPUT and is not an output.
You can used the headphone output of the Panasonic and connect that to the L30 or any other amp when you use a 3.5mmTRS to 2x RCA cable.
Some headphone amps have a 3.5mm TRS jack input, in that case you can connect the 2 devices using a TRS 3.5mm jack to 3.5mm TRS jack cable.

Thanks for your reply! That was my fear. Is there any noticeable quality difference between using an RCA/3.5mm cable instead of an RCA one?

None of the models I evaluated has a TRS cable option sadly and only the Topping and the Atom have an RCA line INPUT. So I assume I must choice between these two ones.

Do you think an high tier amp like Topping L30 can be suitable with a poor source like my panasonic?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Is there any noticeable quality difference between using an RCA/3.5mm cable instead of an RCA one?

No, the 3.5mm TRS contacts are a bit more finnicky and could make poor contact when they haven't been used for years.
Plugging the connector in and out a few times should work.

None of the models I evaluated has a TRS cable option sadly and only the Topping and the Atom have an RCA line INPUT. So I assume I must choice between these two ones.

You just have to buy a suitable cable. Don't buy the expensive ones.

Do you think an high tier amp like Topping L30 can be suitable with a poor source like my panasonic?

Is no problem. The headphone out of the Panasonic will not be loaded by the amp behind it so will perform optimally (read better than driving a headphone directly).
The amp is better than the Panasonic so there will be no additional loss of signal quality.

OP
Phlebas

Phlebas

No, the 3.5mm TRS contacts are a bit more finnicky and could make poor contact when they haven't been used for years.
Plugging the connector in and out a few times should work.

Thanks mate, you`re giving a way to many hours I spent reading reviews, forums and products specs.
About trs contacts well, mine should work as I use it frequently. What do you mean with "finicky", it's a matter of aesthetics or a matter of "sound" I will hear?

You just have to buy a suitable cable. Don't buy the expensive ones.

I`ve found some good not expensive cables on amazon (less than 10 euros) by a german brand, Sebson.

Is no problem. The headphone out of the Panasonic will not be loaded by the amp behind it so will perform optimally (read better than driving a headphone directly).
The amp is better than the Panasonic so there will be no additional loss of signal quality.

About the amp, would you recommend the L30? if you would suggest different others from the enlisted ones (especially with the dt770) I will happily check them.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
What do you mean with "finicky", it's a matter of aesthetics or a matter of "sound" I will hear?

It isn't the most mechanically rigid construction.
Not sound or aesthetics related.

About the amp, would you recommend the L30? if you would suggest different others from the enlisted ones (especially with the dt770) I will happily check them.

Schitt Heresy, L30, Atom, Liquid Spark will all be fine.

OP
Phlebas

Phlebas

It isn't the most mechanically rigid construction.
Not sound or aesthetics related..

I've read L30 is aluminium solid case, perhaps a bit better than the rigid plastic of the Atom. I would place it over the receiver with a 0.5 meters cable (shorter is better, isn't?). I've read that after some hours it can be heat, maybe it can need some space in-between for the airflow.:confused:

panasonic.jpg

Schitt Heresy, L30, Atom, Liquid Spark will all be fine.

Of course all these brands are new for me. Sadly no way to find quickly the other two ones. I will remember them for future upgrades.
Schiit captured immediately my empathy because of its amazing and aventurous debut.
Monolith Liquid Spark looks much more sturdy.

I must go with Topping for a quick solution.

Thanks a lot for your help in solving my doubts :D

Top Bottom