• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Streaming audio with room correction

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
ok, I have a dac with usb input (amongst others) I want to use a streaming service and apply room correction (Dirac live take measurements with a mic and it then automatically does everything) what do I need?

A fanless pc , but what kind of spec to get the job done and as it’s in my listening room can I operate it all from a tablet as I don’t want a monitor.

Il be wanting it to be WiFi rather than wired to my home network too.

What’s involved?

I know a few of you use tidal but what about the other music streaming services ?

Will it sound the same as spinning CD’s? I mean exactly the same other than better because of the room correction.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Roon has built in EQ, so does JRiver, Tidal and ROOn both offer free trials.
also Roon are about to launch their plug and play ‘Nucleus’ computer, that is what I am going to use here just a Nucleus and IPad to control it.
Keith

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you sold on Dirac specifically, or just as an example? Dirac will narrow your options a lot.
There are lots of silent options at https://www.quietpc.com/systems, at a range of prices. You probably want I5 or better.

I am personally sold on the Roon approach, where you put a PC on your network (this is the roon core), somewhere other than your listening room, and it sends data to some small bridge device that squirts UBS wonder into your dac. It all gets controlled by phone, or tablet, or laptop, or the core PC.

I don't like wifi for music delivery, it's never 100% stable, but it's a good starting point before you work out how to route a cable later.

Sound quality should be bit perfect into the dac, and using async usb there is nothing else to worry about.

Deciding what sort of interface you want to your music is personal, and nothing other than a trail of software will decide for you, people have strong opinions, I know I do.

Burning Sounds

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have a Qobuz Sublime subscription (up front annual payment) which works out cheaper than their standard monthly 16/44 subscription. It also enables me to purchase hi-rez downloads at lower cost than 16/44 downloads.

My PC is a low power fanless i7 which copes with JRiver's 8 channel output as I have an active system, Qobuz and Acourate room correction without any problems - including at 24/192. I can also use my turntable through JRiver (at 24/192) again applying room correction.

Although I do have a monitor I generally have it turned off and play Qobuz through JRiver (with room correction) with an Android tablet using BubbleUPnP.

For my local music collection I use an app called Eos but you could also use JRiver's JRemote app.

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
I do not do any streaming, but JRiver seems from the above posts to handle Qobuz or Tidal, at least on the Windows version. Not sure about the Mac or Linux versions. I use JRiver in Windows for audio playback in 5.1 at up to DSD256 or PCM384k, all converted to 176/192k PCM for use with Dirac Live. I also have used it for 7.1 BD audio at up to 192k. I even use it for compressed Mch TV audio, which sounds much better via JRiver/Dirac.

Dirac Live integrates easily and well with JRiver applied to all source material.There is an optional Beta version of Dirac, available by request, using a VST software plugin, which integrates with JRiver even better. Announcements say the next Dirac standard release early next year will incorporate the VST, as well as other improvements.

I am quite satisfied with Dirac on all accounts, especially superior ease of learning/ease of use, as well as sonics. JRiver is very powerful and extensive in capabilities and features. As a result of feature bloat, however, JRiver has become a bit of a bitch to learn for first-timers. But, I am well over that hump, and I like it. It allowed me to jettison a preamp or HT processor from my system completely with audio straight to the DAC. And, I love the JRemote iPad app.

Other possible choices are out there. But, none seem better, easier or more comprehensive for my needs. I feel confident that I could add streaming with room EQ to my repertoire whenever I choose.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Will it sound the same as spinning CD’s? I mean exactly the same other than better because of the room correction.
This depends on streaming service. Are you looking at one that serves up lossless? If so, other than a rare report I have heard that the masters may have been different, I find it completely the same as CD. I use Tidal but Qobuz also gets good marks as Burning Sounds notes.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Il be wanting it to be WiFi rather than wired to my home network too.
This should be fine and if it is not, the fix is to get better Wifi access point. Yes, you may get a pause from time to time but I get that too over my Ethernet connection. So don't let that be a barrier.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
A fanless pc , but what kind of spec to get the job done and as it’s in my listening room can I operate it all from a tablet as I don’t want a monitor.
Do you have an old laptop? If so, you can start with that. My Core i5 system barely registers a load with Roon and Dirac Live running so I would not sweat this too much.

Wombat

Master Contributor
I am going to get into casual music streaming in a very simple way using a laptop into my analogue stereo system via wifi using a Google Chromecast Audio. Room EQ via existing Behringer DEQ2496.

I am following this thread with interest as a primer.

A test of the Chromecast Audio would be of interest to me - CA about $35 RRP.

OP
Thomas savage

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I am going to get into casual music streaming in a very simple way using a laptop into my analogue stereo system via wifi using a Google Chromecast Audio. Room EQ via existing Behringer DEQ2496.

I am following this thread with interest as a primer.

A test of the Chromecast Audio would be of interest to me - CA about $35 RRP.
How’s this going?

I’m currently looking into @Purité Audio suggestion, I really want to stream hi Rez not because I’m convinced it sounds better but I want to be in a position to stream audio in the format (bit rate etc) in was mastered in..., with both that and intergrated digital room correction PEQ etc it would motivate me enough to ditch my CD’s.

I was never going to bother ripping as I can’t be arsed, but streaming files in original format seems a worthy goal and room correction ( sub 200hz) is imo vital for anything that claims to be high fidelity play back.

Wombat

Master Contributor
How’s this going?

I’m currently looking into @Purité Audio suggestion, I really want to stream hi Rez not because I’m convinced it sounds better but I want to be in a position to stream audio in the format (bit rate etc) in was mastered in..., with both that and intergrated digital room correction PEQ etc it would motivate me enough to ditch my CD’s.

I was never going to bother ripping as I can’t be arsed, but streaming files in original format seems a worthy goal and room correction ( sub 200hz) is imo vital for anything that claims to be high fidelity play back.

At present using Mobile wireless WiFi(12GB data) for my PC. About to sign-up(January) for our new national fibre-based broadband(unlimited). Until then, nothing to report.

Chuck Gerlach

If one is not hung-up on great sound = many $$, then consider the Bluesound Node 2 ($499) for streaming or the Bluesound Vault 2 ($1199) for streaming and as a server. I wanted to add Tidal streaming to my system using the Node 2 but found the Vault 2 which also works as a server and I use SP/DIF out to my processor running Dirac. I moved my music files (about 1300 albums) from my dedicated PC server to the Vault 2, and with a friend did some blind comparisons of Tidal vs shiny disc and the Vault 2 server function vs my dedicated server. No difference. Highly recommended .......and I am a HUGE Tidal fan - hope they survive!!

Top Bottom