• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Integrated amplifier help Please

OP
G

gopala33

It seems integrated amps have come back in style and there are a lot of them out there. Unfortunately the built in DACs seem to be quite old and not that great. Your budget should do you very well. Do be careful, as there is some real garbage being sold as high end. Nothing new about that though. Many of them have new features I know nothing about. Blue tooth, streaming etc. May need to find a 9 year old to explain them all.

One thing to watch for. A lot of new amps have fans in them. Even if low speed and controlled, not sure I want a fan as in a quiet passage, you may hear it.

I recently discovered two companies, Schiit and JSD. Always been partial to Parasound and Rotel. Never offended by a Cambridge. Never unhappy with NAD. Back in the day, I always put Yamaha just a little "cleaner" than Denon, but was a little more money. Every Sony I ever had failed. Onk was always in the middle and never actually owned one. Now Marantz is no longer a rebadged Denon, looks like they are getting good. Not sure where you are located or what is available to you. Search this forum for integrated amp reviews. Your choice, traditional class AB or newer class D. I still prefer AB, but D is coming.

Many sources allow a free return if you don't like it. Not sure on international sales.

Weight used to be somewhat of an indicator as it implied power supply size. Not sure that is as true as it used to be.

Some members here should apologies for their comments. I bet your English is better than their ability in your language. You might update your profile with at least your country and maybe some would be more respectful.

sorry cannot free return if i don't like many sells not allow return

i did many search integrated amp but hard choose and unable to found about

i wanted onkyo a 9070 replace similar new integrated amp and i still prefer class AB only not class D

which i must take integrated amp recommend me choose please

front must be display and volume master must be dB like volume turn up -20dB -15dB i like but i don't like volume turn up 30 40 50 60 i don't like I Prefer dB only
my previous ONKYO A-9070 also show volume knob volume turn up display will show -20dB -15dB
my previous ONKYO A-9070 first time use i did volume turn up i see 30 40 50 60 so i setting my remote setup i already set dB then i volume turn up -20dB -15dB -10dB that i prefer

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
If your priority is irrelevant meaningless numbers on a dial, then you are on your own. Maybe you need to look for a used one of the same or have yours fixed. Most of us buy amplifiers for the sound quality and features.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Mind you, I would prefer volume display in dB over some arbitrary scale, too. Yes, you can always calibrate it, but that's not too convenient. Really not too much to ask for in this day and age - dBs as a unit have become way less exotic overall. A dealbreaker, perhaps not.

+1 for looking at repair options. The A-9070 wasn't that cheap, I wouldn't just give up on it after only 4 years.

Last edited:

UCrazyKid

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If I were shopping Integrateds right now I would give a really hard look at the Kinki Studio amps. They got a fantastic review on 6 Moons. https://www.kinki-studio.com/ex-m1-plus
That appears to be a fine amp although the OP requested line outs and a dB scale on the volume control. I'm not sure if a dB scale is shown.
amp china.png

amp volume.png

OP
G

gopala33

If your priority is irrelevant meaningless numbers on a dial, then you are on your own. Maybe you need to look for a used one of the same or have yours fixed. Most of us buy amplifiers for the sound quality and features.
I still prefer new set only not used

OP
G

gopala33

Mind you, I would prefer volume display in dB over some arbitrary scale, too. Yes, you can always calibrate it, but that's not too convenient. Really not too much to ask for in this day and age - dBs as a unit have become way less exotic overall. A dealbreaker, perhaps not.

+1 for looking at repair options. The A-9070 wasn't that cheap, I wouldn't just give up on it after only 4 years.
9070 cannot repair due parts stop production
Sad

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
9070 cannot repair due parts stop production
Sad

How do you know what is wrong is a part that is no longer in production? Again, we do not know where you are located so don't know what you have access to. It could just be a dirty connection, bad relay, or connector not seated. Or it could be some fancy surface mount chip that is not economical to replace. You don't know.

Units with remote controls may have a display in dB. But whatever numbers they put on a dial or screen are arbitrary anyway. It is not a measure of sound level. No more meaningful than 1 to 10, My Anthem AVR numbers read from 0 being full volume to -99 being nothing. If it was actual gain, it would read from -something to +26 with 1 being a gain of zero. Do you actually know what these numbers mean? Sorry but I have to ask.

As you have been advised, there are numerous DAC's that have a volume control with a display. Some even have a second input. Then you just need an amplifier, not an integrated. You may find a preamp only with a digital display in dB.

If you want a specific feature, you may have to pay for it. The following have digital displays in dB but are not cheap.
Rotel A-11, Audiolab 6000, NAD C338 , Iota SA-3, Hegl H200, AARON XX, Leema Pulse
Teac AI-101 printed dB numbers, but class D. Actually may be a very nice desktop amp. There are numerous cheap Chinese mail-order amps with digital displays in dB. Class D though.

OP
G

gopala33

How do you know what is wrong is a part that is no longer in production? Again, we do not know where you are located so don't know what you have access to. It could just be a dirty connection, bad relay, or connector not seated. Or it could be some fancy surface mount chip that is not economical to replace. You don't know.

Units with remote controls may have a display in dB. But whatever numbers they put on a dial or screen are arbitrary anyway. It is not a measure of sound level. No more meaningful than 1 to 10, My Anthem AVR numbers read from 0 being full volume to -99 being nothing. If it was actual gain, it would read from -something to +26 with 1 being a gain of zero. Do you actually know what these numbers mean? Sorry but I have to ask.

As you have been advised, there are numerous DAC's that have a volume control with a display. Some even have a second input. Then you just need an amplifier, not an integrated. You may find a preamp only with a digital display in dB.

If you want a specific feature, you may have to pay for it. The following have digital displays in dB but are not cheap.
Rotel A-11, Audiolab 6000, NAD C338 , Iota SA-3, Hegl H200, AARON XX, Leema Pulse
Teac AI-101 printed dB numbers, but class D. Actually may be a very nice desktop amp. There are numerous cheap Chinese mail-order amps with digital displays in dB. Class D though.

i hate Class D i don't like i prefer Class A/B
Audiolab 6000 bad due Rec out port don't have Line out fixed Port don't have
NAD C338 nice i saw -dB but missing Line out fixed also don't have disappointed
Hegl H200 this is don't have -dB but just number 0 to 99

DAC is for PC USB we will set Max 100% for volume PC
but amp set level speaker -dB

i do buy Pre amp with must be -dB level master volume and Line out port or Rec out Port or Tape out Port must be have it
then i can buy Power Amp 2 channel no problem

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
You may have to re-assess your priorities as what you are looking for may not exist and you do not seem to take any advice.

You did not answer my basic questions, like why do you believe your Onk is not repairable or why you think some arbitrary number with the letters dB after them mean anything to you.

I too have hated the class-D amps I have heard, but I have not heard the newer ones. Specifications are now very very good. About to buy a Loyjle for my desktop and see if that changes my mind.

FWIW, I use an Schiit Asgard DAC/pre and it has NO numbers or dots on the volume control. I have ears and that is all I need. Come to think of it, neither did my Nakamichi, Hafller, Rotel, Denon, or SMSLs I had. Can't really see what use they would be other than some advertising manager thinking they look cool.

OP
G

gopala33

You may have to re-assess your priorities as what you are looking for may not exist and you do not seem to take any advice.

You did not answer my basic questions, like why do you believe your Onk is not repairable or why you think some arbitrary number with the letters dB after them mean anything to you.

I too have hated the class-D amps I have heard, but I have not heard the newer ones. Specifications are now very very good. About to buy a Loyjle for my desktop and see if that changes my mind.

FWIW, I use an Schiit Asgard DAC/pre and it has NO numbers or dots on the volume control. I have ears and that is all I need. Come to think of it, neither did my Nakamichi, Hafller, Rotel, Denon, or SMSLs I had. Can't really see what use they would be other than some advertising manager thinking they look cool.

ok why i still like letters dB because i still like it

explain if number 0 to 99 suppose i volume set 65 or 75 look like over and scared will distortion speaker that why i still prefer -dB without Clip sound
i always set -25dB and -20dB and -15dB and max -10dB that safety

but i don't know why i still hate number volume 0 to 99

UCrazyKid

ok why i still like letters dB because i still like it

explain if number 0 to 99 suppose i volume set 65 or 75 look like over and scared will distortion speaker that why i still prefer -dB without Clip sound
i always set -25dB and -20dB and -15dB and max -10dB that safety

but i don't know why i still hate number volume 0 to 99
You don’t seem to understand that the number assigned to “db” in those receivers is arbitrary. They do not know the strength of your input signal or the efficiency of your speakers. You could easily get used to someone else’s scale for their volume controller be it numbers on a display or position on a dial (like telling time on a clock). Clipping and distortion has nothing to do with the db shown on the display and everything to do with the power of your amplifier and how difficult the speakers are to drive.
You are missing a fundamental understanding of how audio amplification works and you are placing necessity of inconsequential features over sound quality or performance.

Last edited:

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
You clearly have ZERO idea what you are talking about. Any numbers on the faceplate have NOTHING to do with if your speakers are over driven.

And still have not said why you think your Onk is unrepairable. Too expensive? You live on Unalaska Island and there is no repair shop?

" My amp is louder because it goes to 11" This is Spinal Tap

Here is an amp with as accurate of a volume control labeling as there is. You turn it up until it is loud enough.
Capture.JPG

steve59

Major Contributor
Now I know I need a life.

Spinitch

Beyond economic repair, often implied when people say un-repairable. For a pretty penny fairly confident that Onk consumer electronic device could be repaired. However, probably more sensible to buy something newer. A bespoke amp company could add some +dB indicators to many Amps but would be costly. It would be nice if older amps could be repaired less than buying new but spare parts often expensive and hard to get.

Top Bottom