• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Townsend Isolda cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Max Townshend

Audio Company
Thanks, so like in my sim of an average cable, 60db down. Which corresponds to a .05db freq response variation from 20 to 20k. Inaudible. Still dont get how you used a short to get a baseline voltage. (0db)
The "short" is relative, but there are real wires and switches in the tester and it is the voltage across those components that are shown.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I thought for a minute that you were a bit open-minded, but If you don't care about flat strips, then your mind is made up and it is a waste of time.
What? I thought you were selling cables with clear audible improvements. I want to hear those improvements and measure them against ordinary speaker cables. I will attempt to duplicate your measurements.

I have no need or desire to test wire strips and not sure who on earth would care either. Or are you saying your advantage is over strips of wire no one uses???

Speedskater

Major Contributor
It really only matters between 5kHz and 20kHz, where all the fine details lie. You have chosen mid Zo cables. What about Silversmith? https://silversmithaudio.com/ Zo 1000 ohms? Or Isolda Zo 18 ohms?
The fine details are right there! 5k, 10k 20k.
Sadly the author is no longer with us.
The first thing that you should have done was measure the cables, Duh.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Yes, the differences are minuscule, but real. You can ignore them if you want low-fi, but not if you want hi-fi.

So with a 7 meter cable and 0.1dB less '20kHz' you consider this 'low-fi' ?
A difference of -0.1dB @ 20kHz between thicker lampcord and really expensive wire is really the difference between low-fi and hi-fi ?
That would mean a DAC that is -0.2dB at 20kHz and another at -0.1dB at 20kHz is the difference between low-fi and hi-fi ?

Yes, geometry does make an inaudible difference. regardless what the cause of it is. No-one considers 0.1dB drop at 20kHz 'low-fi'

Max Townshend

Audio Company
So with a 7 meter cable and 0.1dB less '20kHz' you consider this 'low-fi' ?
A difference of -0.1dB @ 20kHz between thicker lampcord and really expensive wire is really the difference between low-fi and hi-fi ?
That would mean a DAC that is -0.2dB at 20kHz and another at -0.1dB at 20kHz is the difference between low-fi and hi-fi ?

Yes, geometry does make a nearly inaudible difference. regardless of what the cause of it is. Noone considers 0.1dB drop at 20kHz 'low-fi'
Yes, -0.1db loss at 20kHz is inaudible, but here is more going on than that and the is why there is a speaker sound debate in the first place and that is what this is all about.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
What else is (electrically) going on that IS audible and not caused by the 0.1dB drop ?

Last edited:

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
1606251860231.png

Addams' Family Train Wreck

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Brain waves are electrical.

And the price, looks and story of the cable will most certainly alter brainwaves when listening to music.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom