• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monoprice Monolith 10, 12 and 15-inch Subwoofer Review

CrustyToad

Forum Donor
Awesome review, much appreciated!
Currently in Europe there is even a 15% discount on these but sadly they are out of stock...
Amazing value, especially in the European market where subs tend to be more expensive

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
There's only a single XLR passthrough, what are you suposed to do with the other channel?

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
There's only a single XLR passthrough, what are you suposed to do with the other channel?

giphy.gif

'tis the season...

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Just an FYI, these are all on sale for about 10-15% off. If you were on the fence, now might be a good time.

I also have wrapped up testing on the SVS PB-2000 Pro and hope to have that posted this weekend.

Gatordaddy

Forum Donor
@hardisj Thanks for picking up the mantle of testing subs. Do you think you'll be reviewing Monoprice's new midrange (budget) offerings?

Colonel7

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If I do, it’ll be quite a while.

I’ve currently got the SVS SB2000 Pro and the SB3000 on hand but will have to wait for warm weather. Currently snowing here in Alabama. :eek:

Aside from those, I have the Kef R3 and DD8c to test.
If I were D&D, I'd start to get a little suspicious next week if it is still snowing in Alabama...

Prolix

Forum Donor
I'm just a random guy, but from the numbers I'm seeing I don't understand why these subs aren't more popular. The 12" distortion and group delay seems unreal for the price. Am I missing something?

Last edited:

Enchy

I'm just a random guy, but from the numbers I'm seeing I don't understand why these subs aren't more popular. The 12" distortion and group delay seems unreal. Am I missing something?
Not offering free returns is probably one of the reasons. However, if you buy through Target you can return their subs (or speakers or whatever) to a Target store for free.

I have the 10" sub. I compared it directly to the RSL Speedwoofer 10s and the SVS PB1000 and the Monolith blew them both out of the water.

Last edited:

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
giphy.gif

'tis the season...

That was a genuine question, I take it these subs cannot accept a L+R channel with a pass-through for the monitors, while L+R are summed internally to mono for the subwoofer, as some other subs do, for example:

1615649753025.png

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
That was a genuine question

Whoops. My bad.

I assume the purpose of the single is to just route the existing signal to another subwoofer. But of course, the idea would be that you’re playing the same signal (other than what DSP is available on the other subwoofer).

Ericglo

Not offering free returns is probably one of the reasons. However, if you buy through Target you can return their subs (or speakers or whatever) to a Target store for free.

I have the 10" sub. I compared it directly to the RSL Speedwoofer 10s and the SVS PB1000 and the Monolith blew them both out of the water.

Wow, that is an awesome option.

Filio45

Noticed in the Monolith manual it says 'the least desirable' connection type is to connect to the stereo preamplifier output on an amplifier or receiver. And 'the best possible connection, with the least amount of noise or distortion, is connecting using an XLR cable to a balanced XLR output to a receiver or mixer'.

What would be the best connection method direct from a Topping E50 (using its volume control), which has balanced Jack and unbalanced RCA outputs?

Last edited:

bigguyca

Nope. Went straight from my warehouse to Erin. I'm sure he can vouch they had never been opened before.

Congratulations on a great job!

I own several of these subs and frankly I could buy any sub I wanted.

Top Bottom