• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2 Pro Has Arrived

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
This is the first USB DAC/ADC I’ve seen that competes well against the Lynx Hilo. In my book, the Hilo is the Holy Grail for folks who use DSP in multi channel setups.

So, I have questions I hope someone here can answer:

1. Is the RME USB multi client capable? For example, will I be able to use ASIO output in Jriver and ASIO input in REW at the same time? Very few are true multi client.

2. Can the RME route digital from an output back to an input without a cable? IOW, does it have full internal routing capabilities like the Lynx Hilo?

3. Has totalmix gotten any easier to use? I’ve used it years ago and it was like learning a foreign language.

4. The website says it is 4 in/8 out. On the back I see four analog outs. Can four channels be routed to the XLR and TRS outputs at the same time? IOW, can one use this for a four channel setup?

Thanks,
Michael.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
This is the first USB DAC/ADC I’ve seen that competes well against the Lynx Hilo. In my book, the Hilo is the Holy Grail for folks who use DSP in multi channel setups.

So, I have questions I hope someone here can answer:

1. Is the RME USB multi client capable? For example, will I be able to use ASIO output in Jriver and ASIO input in REW at the same time? Very few are true multi client.

2. Can the RME route digital from an output back to an input without a cable? IOW, does it have full internal routing capabilities like the Lynx Hilo?

3. Has totalmix gotten any easier to use? I’ve used it years ago and it was like learning a foreign language.

4. The website says it is 4 in/8 out. On the back I see four analog outs. Can four channels be routed to the XLR and TRS outputs at the same time? IOW, can one use this for a four channel setup?

Thanks,
Michael.

I'll try to answer based on my experiences using the ADI-2 Pro on a Mac:

1. At least on a Mac, yes, I can select it for input and output

2. Yes

3. Dunno -- It doesn't come with Totalmix

4. Don't quite get the configuration -- can you draw a little picture?

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
I read the manual. It looks like channels 1,2 are the analog outs on back and 3,4 are the phone outs. If configured in USB mode you can have 6 in 8 out. In that setup, it has only 4 analog out and the remaining digital out.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I read the manual. It looks like channels 1,2 are the analog outs on back and 3,4 are the phone outs. If configured in USB mode you can have 6 in 8 out. In that setup, it has only 4 analog out and the remaining digital out.

Yes, at the OS level, Mac OS thinks it is capable of 6 channels in, 8 channels out via USB. Not sure how that compares to Windows. Screenshots below:

Screen Shot 2017-12-29 at 18.40.08.png
Screen Shot 2017-12-29 at 18.40.24.png

Top Bottom