• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

cheap Android tablet + Gustard X16 + dedicated speaker amp = streaming possible?

Hi guys,

I am new to hifi and I was wondering if it's possible to use a cheap android tablet as a streamer (connected to wifi) which would pass digital signal to the DAC via USB and the DAC would serve as a preamp for volume control in the whole chain.

I am specifically keen to know if Amazon Fire HD 8 could pass on MQAs and work with Roon and then pass the data to the DAC.

Thanks a lot for your insights.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi guys,

I am new to hifi and I was wondering if it's possible to use a cheap android tablet as a streamer (connected to wifi) which would pass digital signal to the DAC via USB and the DAC would serve as a preamp for volume control in the whole chain.

I am specifically keen to know if Amazon Fire HD 8 could pass on MQAs and work with Roon and then pass the data to the DAC.

Yeah if the Gustard has Android support it should work.

if you want it to be a roon endpoint then just get a raspberry pi 4 and install roopie on it for ~60$ and use the tablet for something else.

Last edited:

lizhuoyin

Forum Donor
Hi guys,

Currently I have a Samsung Tab S4 connected to an external DAC thru USB interface. Amazon Music HD app can output to the external DAC so I think Fire HD 8 should do that too.

Top Bottom