• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH 310A Review (Powered Monitor)

ehabheikal

This is a review and detailed measurements of the Neumann KH 310A active monitor (speaker). It was kindly sent to me by the company for testing. I see it discounted to US $2,200 (each) as of this writing.

This is one dense and heavy 3-way speaker:

View attachment 94736

I was relieved to find "rack mount" ears to grab onto for lifting it:

View attachment 94737

Nice to see big heatsinks in the back indicating good amount of power on tap. Testing was performed with all the switches as you see.

What you don't see is a port.

Measurements that you are about to see were performed using the Klippel Near-field Scanner (NFS). This is a robotic measurement system that analyzes the speaker all around and is able (using advanced mathematics and dual scan) to subtract room reflections (so where I measure it doesn't matter). It also measures the speaker at close distance ("near-field") which sharply reduces the impact of room noise. Both of these factors enable testing in ordinary rooms yet results that can be more accurate than an anechoic chamber. In a nutshell, the measurements show the actual sound coming out of the speaker independent of the room.

The system performed over 1000 measurement which resulted in error rate of more or less 1%.

Temperature was 58 degrees F initially. Past experience indicates that there may be some impact on bass response of Neumann speakers so a second measurement was performed after heating up the room to 68 degrees (it dropped back to 64 at the end of testing).

Measurements are compliant with latest speaker research into what can predict the speaker preference and is standardized in CEA/CTA-2034 ANSI specifications. Likewise listening tests are performed per research that shows mono listening is much more revealing of differences between speakers than stereo or multichannel.

Reference axis was the border between tweeter and midrange.

I consulted with Neumann on the results you see here.

Neumann KH 310A Measurements
Acoustic measurements can be grouped in a way that can be perceptually analyzed to determine how good a speaker is and how it can be used in a room. This so called spinorama shows us just about everything we need to know about the speaker with respect to tonality and some flaws:

View attachment 94739

Response basically matches Neumann's published anechoic results, sans the slight shelving in low frequencies and that one dip. Their measurements also shows a dip but it is above 100 Hz. Cause of the dip is unknown and Neumann is investigating. It is not material though as the room impact will be massive in this region but it is nice to know where it is coming from.

Even with a little shelving which Neumann thinks is still related to temperature, response is quite flan on axis. There is as much as 0.7 dB error in my microphone by 20 kHz so with that taken into account, agreement with Neumann data is excellent.

Directivity is very good as seen by how closely the upper lines mirror each other and their difference as plotted down below.

Early window reflections are as a result very good:

View attachment 94740

While not the target for this speaker, if you were to use the speaker in far-field, domestic listening space, this would be the potential response:

View attachment 94764

I have not looked to see why it became more uneven than I expected. Still, we are talking speakers here and this is a very good response.
EDIT: I had the scales wrong. It was too zoomed in. Corrected.

Interpreting near-field response of the sound producing elements is always complicated by the port. Without it, we have rather textbook responses in KH 310A:

View attachment 94742

Notice that the dip around 80 Hz is still there so that is not an artifact of the complex process Klippel NFS uses to generate its anechoic response.

Distortion is kept well under control even at the higher 96 dBSPL@1 meter:

View attachment 94743

Very low bass creates a bit of issue with distortion exceeding 100%:
View attachment 94744

Beam width control is excellent but naturally a bit asymmetrical:

View attachment 94745

Here is the same as a contour:

View attachment 94746

Vertical directivity is very good due to use of mid-range and careful design:

View attachment 94747

Neuman KH 310A Near-field Speaker Listening Tests
I know many of you think that looking at the measurements biases you in listening tests. But I must say, the very first impression of what hits my face and ears is often a surprise. I figured the KH 310A would sound good but not this good! I always start with female vocals to see if their brilliance is reproduced without harshness. The KH 310A blew me away with how it managed this careful trick! I could not believe the level of clarity, balance, yet detailed sound with zero harshness or lispiness.

Best of all, I could turn up the level as high as I wanted. This created nothing but delight as I played some of my tracks with dynamic high frequency tones such as Gruzzo by Daniele Di Bonaventura and Alfredo Laviano:

The bass was absolutely clean. It was a delight to listen to what Neumann calls "DRY BASS." It was a relief to not hear bloated bass that would all of a sudden fall of a cliff when turned up.

To make sure there was enough of it though, I queued up the track Bad News by Melody Gardot:

Wow, wow, wow! This is some impressive bass coming out of this speaker! It was resonating not only my desk and chair but my entire loft! I cranked it way up and then I could detect a bit of distortion but if you were not looking for it, you would be plenty satisfied.

I wish I had a second one and time to sit back and listen for hours and hours. Nothing has sounded this impressive and dynamic on my workstation desk. I simply put the speaker on half inch of padding with no messing with alignment and any reason to reach for EQ. And received total, absolute pleasure.

Conclusions
Neumann KH 310A shows the dedication of the design team to absolute objective perfection. Somehow the recipe here goes even beyond that producing a combine sound that delighted me and glued a smile on my face that has yet to disappear. Yes, $4,400 for a pair of these speakers is a lot of money. What you get though is design engineers perfecting the sound reproduction and not leaving you with the job of EQ to get there. Elimination of bass port (I think) has resulted in very clean low frequency response.

At the risk of stating the obvious, I am going to strongly recommend the Neumann KH 310A Active Monitor. I live for days like this when a company cares to give us the best sound reproduction we can get.

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Appreciate any donations using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Am i missing something or is the distortion for the KH 80 DSP lower?
BTW i bought the KH 80 DSP based on your reviews, and it kicks ass for a speaker that small ( OMG it is small ) and that price and sound

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Which really shows the limitations of the Harman model when it comes to highest standard comparisons as like written by other posters already in this topic only accounts for FR.
Sorry if I bust your illusion but I own myself the JBL LSRs and I have had the KH 310 for testing for some weeks and the sound quality is really on a different league, which is of course not a bad result for the JBL as they cost only a fraction.
JBL LSR is the previous gen, this gen is 308p Mkii, so you're not comparing apples to apples. If you look at the measurements I would wager the only significant difference between the 308p Mkii and this Neumann is the higher distortion on the 308p, (and I'm talking with the HF Trim Switch at -2dB which helps fix the frequency response some more)......I'm thinking if you don't listen at loud volumes then perhaps it would be difficult to give a preference to one or the other in blind testing. But I suppose I'd expect the Neumann's to be better given that they cost over 10 times more than the JBL's! ;)

monkeyboy

I have a pair of these with the KH 750 sub, I love them. Being commercial gear you can yolk mount them on PA stands.

1605975608579.jpeg

tuga

Major Contributor
From the point of view of consumers who aren't able to interpret measurements, a poor Olive score can be used to rule a speaker out, so it can be useful in that respect. But it can't be used to do the inverse.

The problem with not being able to interpret measurements and relying on Olive's score is that the consumer may end up ruling out a speaker which he might have liked.

Last edited:

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The problem with not able to interpret measurements and relying on Olive's score is that the consumer may end up ruling out a speaker which I might have liked.
Perhaps a preference score chart with golfballs, soccerballs, and disembodied panther heads in place of dots as icons is in order. That would be busy, but could convey another layer of information. No good way to do it on my phone though.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The problem with not able to interpret measurements and relying on Olive's score is that the consumer may end up ruling out a speaker which I might have liked.

That's interesting. Could you give an example?

tuga

Major Contributor
That's interesting. Could you give an example?

We've been through this often enough.
Just go to any non measurement-centric forum, lots of people there buy the speakers they like the sound/presentation of.

tuga

Major Contributor
Perhaps a preference score chart with golfballs, soccerballs, and disembodied panther heads in place of dots as icons is in order. That would be busy, but could convey another layer of information. No good way to do it on my phone though.

Most magazines are already doing star-ratings and the like, golden-ear awards, editors' choices, recommended components lists.

This is no different, except that it is based on measurements and (as far as I know) the opinions of a small listening panel from a single study with some very budgety low-performance speakers.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
We've been through this often enough.
Just go to any non measurement-centric forum, lots of people there buy the speakers they like the sound/presentation of.

I know we've been through it in general. I was interested in speakers that you like specifically that would do poorly under the Olive model?

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Most magazines are already doing star-ratings and the like, golden-ear awards, editors' choices, recommended components lists.

This is no different, except that it is based on measurements and (as far as I know) the opinions of a small listening panel from a single study with some very budgety low-performance speakers.
I mean a chart with olive score on one axis, price on one axis, and icons representing the panther ratings Amir gave the speaker when he reviewed it... not sure if that was clear. Amir's rating takes measurements, and his expert analysis into consideration, so such a chart could summarize much more information... it just might be visually busy with different icons on it.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a chart labeled “Amir‘s Rating”, where I plot all those that got a lounging (3) or a golf/soccer (4) panther.

Here it is currently:
Amir's Rating.png

So, the outdoor Revel speaker is the only real anomaly. Though the Wharfedale 220 getting a 4/4 was surprising seeing the Spin, but Amir did state it could get very loud, something the better measuring Andrew Jones Pioneer bookshelf (3/4) could not for instance.

As for the F328Be, don’t forget that Amir is going to remeasure as he has since further fine tuned the NFS.

Last edited:

tuga

Major Contributor
I know we've been through it in general. I was interested in speakers that you like specifically that would do poorly under the Olive model?

I have corrected my post: I meant to write "the consumer may end up ruling out a speaker which he might have liked"

In response to your question, my last four speakers were: Spendor SP9/1s (loved them, would probably rate poorly), B&W 802 S3s (ear-piercing hated them, would probably rate very high), PSB T2s (liked them but "sparkly" treble and "constrained" bass at normal/high levels, would probably top passive), Stirling LS3/6s (really like them but rather "loose" sub-bass and limited extension and a bit "forward-sounding" in my current small and narrow room with untreated walls, would probably rate poorly).

A70zcn5.png

Vintage57

Forum Donor
above kh310 you got kh420

but kh420 got high distortion than the last gen o410

o410 is the king among their whole line

nuemann used to publish ALL measurement datas for their speakers

Can you share where the distortion difference takes place. Maybe you could post data.

StefaanE

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I guess these have absolutely no tweeter hiss?

Top Bottom