• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Headphone Amplifier Testing and Measurements

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Only 15 days instead of 30 and 15% restocking fee? They don't seem to be very confident of their product to have shrunk that from 30 days and no restocking fee from a few years back if I remember correctly.
Emotiva has a 30 day no hassle return policy and a 5 year transferable warranty.
I like this kind of bank end support, todays modern gear should give a long service life.

Wombat

Master Contributor
It's easy to diss Beats for their popularity and their garish color schemes, but wouldn't it be fun to measure a pair?

What if Beats are the Behringers of the headphone world? ;)

That could be an insult to Behringer. ;)

beeface

What other headphones are common and don't cost a fortune? My limit is low hundreds of dollars.

As mentioned previously, Beats would appear to be the best selling brand. The most oft recommended headphones on online forums however would probably be the Audio Technica ATH-M50X. They might be an interesting reference point. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HVLUR8...bW&pd_rd_r=5D289CQS7FBQ2GYGK96W&pd_rd_w=PaBgA

On amps, what are the common choices? Are they popular or are people strictly opting for DACs with headphone amps?
Thinking about it, DAC/Headphone amp combos do seem like the most popular choice these days (from Schiit, Fiio, Audioquest etc). The Objective 2 previously mentioned is a good choice. In honour of your DAC measurements, maybe an entry-level Behringer product would be a worthwhile reference point? https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-MA400-BEHRINGER-MICROMON/dp/B000KUCQXY

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thanks for the suggestion. I ordered the Behringer. Incredible how cheap that is. If it performs well, it will be quite an upset!

On the AT headphone, I am going to wait a bit until I get my headphone measurement system. For now, how easy is it to drive?

beeface

The ATH-M50X is very easy to drive, which is probably a big factor in why they're so popular - they work just fine from phone or a laptop. In retrospect, maybe not the most interesting suggestion.

As I was thinking of affordable higher impedance headphones, Beyerdynamic came to mind. There is a comparison between the 32ohm, 250ohm and 600ohm versions of their DT 880 on InnerFidelity:

https://www.innerfidelity.com/conte...-dt-880-250-ohm-and-dt-880-600-ohm-headphones

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I am actually looking for a high-efficiency popular headphone to test channel balance at low amplitude. Any suggestions there?
I'm not sure how high you refer to but the low cost Grados like the SR80 or 60s are very sensitive. SPL 1mW: 99.8 dB

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Those Grado phones might be a good choice for that purpose.

The best I think are some on-ear, in-ear phones. Some of those run on nearly nothing. I have some Creative Aurvana's that aren't available anymore, and those babies biggest problem is sometimes you can't get them quiet enough without really dropping volume.

https://www.amazon.com/Creative-Ult...00U0WUI1O/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

These are similar to what I have, but not the same thing. They claim these are 110db/mw. I think the ones I have claim 114 db/mw. The ones I have sound pretty good, not great, a bit lightweight. But they are very comfortable, screen out lots of exterior noise, and being so easy to drive work great with a cell phone source.

There well may be better ones out there for around this price, but I think these types are going to be more efficient for low signal levels.

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thanks guys. What is a more common scenario for usage of a headphone, an IEM or over the ear in desktop applications? I have this picture of many people using traditional headphones as opposed to in-ear monitors for home use.

danadam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I've made a mistake of buying Shure SE535, they have 119 dB SPL/mW. If I converted that correctly, that is whooping 133 dB SPL/1Vrms. I could hear the noise of my player very clearly then, I've always dreamed of that ;-)

I replaced them with Ultrasone IQ, 104 dB SPL/mW (121 dB SPL/1Vrms) and it is much better now.

(Shure SE315 is a cheaper but similarly very sensitive option)

tr1ple6

Thanks guys. What is a more common scenario for usage of a headphone, an IEM or over the ear in desktop applications? I have this picture of many people using traditional headphones as opposed to in-ear monitors for home use.
I use over the ear open back headphones, Sennheiser HD800 with a SDR mod. It psychologically freaks me out having something in my ear. Even on ear headphones are uncomfortable for me. Perhaps you can do a poll?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I use only traditional cans. I get enough of having plugs in my ears at the range every week, as I'm anal about noise protection and wear ear plugs and also muffs at the same time. But after a few hours those plugs drive me nuts, don't need to endure that torture to listen to music.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

I think it depends on who you ask. Younger folks aren't going to listen with a desktop. Those who do probably use over the ear. I use and much prefer over the ear (circumaural) phones. On the other hand they just aren't handy for use out and about with a cell phone or portable player.

I also do a weird thing sometimes when recording if I don't have an isolating room to monitor in. I use some IEMs, high efficiency. Then put a very isolating pair of noise blocking earmuffs over them. I block out the music around me so I can clearly hear the capture going on from the microphones. Not the most transparent musically, but lets me hear any 'issues' with background things in the recording.

Top Bottom