• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Art is dead...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fregly

Strange how this neo marxism has so pervaded the culture. I cannot imagine contradicting the idea of Privilege or the postmodern nebulous "gender identity" in mixed company. They are both rather radical ideas.

OP
EB1000

EB1000

What are you talking about?

The vast majority of humans in "nature" are most certainly not White (as opposed to the ~75% of characters in top-grossing films).

Barely even 75% of the population of the United States is White, let alone the rest of the planet.

View attachment 94422
1. https://www.france24.com/en/20200909-oscars-unveil-minimum-diversity-rules-for-best-picture-prize

2. 70% of the US population identifies as white... No reason for movies to reflect otherwise...

BTW. I'm not old and not exactly white, but I am a proud conservative. Many like me are not comfortable with this new woke craziness, and we will simply ban those movies and companies. At some point Hollywood will wake up when they realize that their policies are hurting their pockets. Remember that 49% of the US population have voted for the guy who doesn't have a cognitive deficiency, nor a running mate who wants to bail out rapist and murderers out of jail...

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Strange how this neo marxism has so pervaded the culture. I cannot imagine contradicting the idea of Privilege or the postmodern nebulous "gender identity" in mixed company. They are both rather radical ideas.

Just to clarify, Marx was a political economist who wrote primarily about the economic relations between capitalists and wage labourers. Concepts of "privilege" (in the sense it is being used here) and "gender identity" were entirely alien to Marx.

Also, what do you mean by "mixed company"? I'm not familiar with this term except in the context of race.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Now a prerequisite for getting an academy nomination is to have at least 50% people of color as characters.

From that link:

"Under the new rules, films vying for best picture will need to comply with at least two of four criteria designed to improve hiring practices and representation on and off screen.

The first criteria requires the movie to feature either a prominent actor from an underrepresented group, 30 percent of its smaller roles from minorities, or to address issues surrounding these communities as its main theme.

The second stipulates that behind-the-scenes senior leadership or technical crew members must be drawn from historically disadvantaged groups, which also include women, LGBT and disabled communities.

The final two measures concern offering internships and training to underrepresented workers, and diversity in the movie's marketing and distribution teams."

2. 70% of the US population identifies as white... No reason for movies to reflect otherwise...

Yes, which is lower than the percentage of White characters in top-grossing Hollywood films. The discrepancy is at best not there, and at worst the opposite of the way you claim it is.

NTomokawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
a large swath of popular fiction contains allegories or stand-ins for exploring modern issues
Correct, but there shouldn't be.

If I want to watch a movie about people fighting each other with laser swords, give me a movie where people fighting each other with laser swords. Leave "social commentary" out of it.

If I want to watch a movie about people fighting each other with laser swords, give me a movie where people fighting each other with laser swords. Leave "social commentary" out of it.
It's impossible to create such media. Every story will invariably produce some reflection of the creator's upbringing or culture that is a commentary on something. Even the original movie with people fighting each other with laser swords can have some social commentary pulled out of it.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

But what if I want to watch a movie about a trans person fighting with a laser sword?

I don't care what kind of laser sword film you want to watch.

Fregly

Just to clarify, Marx was a political economist who wrote primarily about the economic relations between capitalists and wage labourers. Concepts of "privilege" (in the sense it is being used here) and "gender identity" were entirely alien to Marx.

Also, what do you mean by "mixed company"? I'm not familiar with this term except in the context of race.
Neo Marxist. Most of this stuff is Marxist informed. I suspect you know the argument, though. And your last sentence is a bait.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Which is precisely as far-fetched as non-trans people in a galaxy far, far away.
Or Binary and fixed gender assignment in a galaxy far far away. Not that it's any business of mine how these [probably illegal] aliens choose to live out their lives. Nonetheless---What about the children? What about property values? And won't they scare the horses?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom