• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Art is dead...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
The first Star Wars wasn't too bad.

At least it was fresh.

I liked Spaceballs.

The rest of them, I haven't been able to sit through even one.

May the Schwarz be with you.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Mandalorian is a lot better, but if they get woke in it too then goodbye.

Robin L

Master Contributor
If you know art, you know art is frequently trans-gender:

I'd hesitate calling "Star Wars" art. Comic book myth is more like it.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

Robin L

Master Contributor
Nothing wrong with art and comic books in the same sentence, it's a broad art form. SW is more a marketing opportunity with a film tie in as a disguise, I still watch them though.
I get the feeling the first Star Wars started out as a movie. And yeah, I guess Comic Books can be art, "Into The Spiderverse" certainly was. And then there's "Fun Home", right? But I think Star Wars "A New Hope" wasn't as much about art as myth, Joseph Campbell style. Star Wars, the ongoing marketing oppo, seems like it's more 'bout the money than anything else these days.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not that I care, I've lost interest in SW once George Lucas abandoned the franchise, but this is getting ridiculous...

https://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/ent/star-wars-transgender-jedi.html

So a tiny green Muppet/CGI Yoda jumping around Count Dooku is badass sci-fi art, and a conehead Jedi with a Fu-Manchu beard is okay, as is the woman with the giant blue dreadlock hair/head projections, and the green dude with the six squid arm things coming out of his head, and the world's stiffest swordfight (Kenobi vs Vader in the original movie)? That's all okay and part of the beloved artistic canon - but a regular old human Jedi who happens to be transgender is "ridiculous" and means "art is dead"?

Please. Star Wars isn't the problem here.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And yeah, I guess Comic Books can be art, "Into The Spiderverse" certainly was. And then there's "Fun Home", right?
Not read either of those, but works from people like Alan Moore and the Hernandez bothers easily qualifies as art to me.

StefaanE

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I guess the problem is that most people watch SciFi movies for the adventures, the anticipation of the future, the special effects, etc., not the knee jerk concessions of minor Hollywood stars to current societal concerns. There is a place and maybe a need for exploration of the evolution of social mores in movies, and thoughtful, watchable films have been made about these subjects. But mostly not in Hollywood, and certainly not within SciFi and superhero franchises. Frankly, if one has superpowers like a Jedi or Captain Marvel, agonising over one’s sexuality or love life seems so far out of character it could as well be happing in another galaxy.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Not read either of those, but works from people like Alan Moore and the Hernandez bothers easily qualifies as art to me.
"Into The Spiderverse" is an animated film, with mind-blowing graphics and that classic "Marvel" sense of humor:

"Fun Home" is the most "Literary" Graphic Novel of all, also famously gender-bent:

bechdel1.jpg

Also a smash Broadway musical.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I guess the problem is that most people watch SciFi movies for the adventures, the anticipation of the future, the special effects, etc., not the knee jerk concessions of minor Hollywood stars to current societal concerns. There is a place and maybe a need for exploration of the evolution of social mores in movies, and thoughtful, watchable films have been made about these subjects. But mostly not in Hollywood, and certainly not within SciFi and superhero franchises. Frankly, if one has superpowers like a Jedi or Captain Marvel, agonising over one’s sexuality or love life seems so far out of character it could as well be happing in another galaxy.

Ok, but who says this character is going to be "agonising" over their love life or sexuality?

It seems to me that you may be assuming that any trans character must be a tortured soul whose story arc is all about coming to terms with their sexuality or gender. That assumption seems unjustified to me. Trans people have hopes, passions, values, beliefs and interests like anyone else. Surely trans characters can, too?

More importantly, taking your line of reasoning to its logical conclusion leads only to one place: no trans character is acceptable in any Hollywood film.

That seems quite an extreme exclusion, wouldn't you agree?

Robin L

Master Contributor
Ok, but who says this character is going to be "agonising" over their love life or sexuality?

It seems to me that you may be assuming that any trans character must be a tortured soul whose story arc is all about coming to terms with their sexuality or gender. That assumption seems unjustified to me.

More importantly, taking your line of reasoning to its logical conclusion leads only to one place: no trans character is acceptable in any Hollywood film.

That seems quite an extreme exclusion, don't you agree?
Exhibit A:

Not "trans" here, but I can't help but think of this:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom