• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amir's TODO thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Wombat

Master Contributor
So far, I hate, hate, hate the minidsp! No software came with it. Went looking for it and it demanded some kind of "coupon!" Coupon??? Went to look in the papers that came with it, there was a coupon. I put in the coupon and then it asks me what I want to download and warns me that it only allows one download and that is it!!! What the heck??? I select one and installed it. It is now configured under Windows but it plays nothing over USB. After spending an hour with it, I threw it to the side. Sitting here, I still don't know how to use it.

I feel the same way when Microsoft says I have a PC problem and offers fault-finding which eventually states it can't find a problem.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It's currently at US$299 for Thanksgiving/Black Friday.
OK, I bought it. It says it is coming from China though and may arrive after Christmas!

BTW, at this rate I will be in negative deficit with Santa and have to pay him for Christmas rather than him bringing me gifts!!! :D

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I think you should send me the 2x4HD since it annoys you.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
[miniDSP 2x4HD] I put in the coupon and then it asks me what I want to download and warns me that it only allows one download and that is it!!! What the heck??? .

Are you sure your plugin is not just tied to one user account? I have a miniDSP 2x4HD as well, used the coupon for the plugin. The plugin remains available on my user downloads page at miniDSP in case my computer and remote backup both die or are destroyed.

Think of it like this: you wouldn't be able to use a BSS box with London Architect or Audio Architect. For consumer stereo system use the miniDSP 2x4HD is a lot like a BSS BLU-50, except with slightly different input options and an 80% discount.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Are you sure your plugin is not just tied to one user account? I have a miniDSP 2x4HD as well, used the coupon for the plugin. The plugin remains available on my user downloads page at miniDSP in case my computer and remote backup both die or are destroyed.
There was an ominous warning saying the coupon can only be redeemed once. I think I went there a second time and it still let me download it.

Eric Auer

So what should I test next? I am thinking of a battle between headphone amps.

Affordable Tube ones or...?

Eric

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
So what should I test next? I am thinking of a battle between headphone amps.

Let's see...

What's been on the list the longest time?

volume

Oh, I would love to see the Sabre 9018 USB DAC reviewed. I have no idea if it's worth the price and am torn between it and importing the Topping D30.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Oh, I would love to see the Sabre 9018 USB DAC reviewed. I have no idea if it's worth the price and am torn between it and importing the Topping D30.
Welcome to the forum. I will go ahead and dig through the pile to find it and review.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Welcome to the forum. I will go ahead and dig through the pile to find it and review.
You have piles now? I told you this site would bring you pain. :D

Welcome @volume

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My Berkeley has broken unfortunately so I can only do the comparison against Audiophilleo.

Amir, where is the Gustard U12 in your queue? I've been using one every day for the last 20 months or so (I like its stable drivers, and it's a very cheap way to go from USB to AES), so I'm eager to find out if it's contributing horrific levels of jitter or other noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom