• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Marantz PM8006 volume control?

SineWave

Can anyone please tell me how man steps this volume control has? And is the volume knob motorized when using the remote control? Also wondering how well the volume can be fined tuned with the remote.

Final question. Anyone using it as a pre-amp with another amp?

ClzWti8PVWbPBek6BSidu-PwQKDZf43G-ELOLQbliYzqOCAfOPDCcxL46M3g56rKoJ682wl-ZYPOZ1m4lQ

jjk1

The PM8006 uses position driven an electronic volume control, set by the position of the control knob. It’s not precisely set in DB steps like some that have a digital volume display but it can be very granular with a light and quick touch on the remote. Better then most motor driven remote analog volume controls I’ve used that swing too much at low volume.

For very low volume sessions I tend to use the source for volume control of the last few db, I’m using an NAD c510 DAC (same DAC as the M51) to control between 0 and -10db or so after setting the PM8006 to a low initial volume.

I’ve not used the PM8006 as a preamp with an external power amp, but I have used its power amp direct feature when testing the c510, and Oppo ha-1 as preamps and will likely use this feature if I get around to trying an RME DAC which has the preamp functions I need like balance and tone controls.
The PM8006 has a very good volume control IMO, but it has no digital readout like some,
jjk

OP
SineWave

SineWave

The PM8006 uses position driven an electronic volume control, set by the position of the control knob. It’s not precisely set in DB steps like some that have a digital volume display but it can be very granular with a light and quick touch on the remote. Better then most motor driven remote analog volume controls I’ve used that swing too much at low volume.

For very low volume sessions I tend to use the source for volume control of the last few db, I’m using an NAD c510 DAC (same DAC as the M51) to control between 0 and -10db or so after setting the PM8006 to a low initial volume.

I’ve not used the PM8006 as a preamp with an external power amp, but I have used its power amp direct feature when testing the c510, and Oppo ha-1 as preamps and will likely use this feature if I get around to trying an RME DAC which has the preamp functions I need like balance and tone controls.
The PM8006 has a very good volume control IMO, but it has no digital readout like some,
jjk

Thanks! I appreciate your reply!

Since you own it, can you please tell me if the the curved part (the left and right side) of the front face plate is metal or not? (not that it really matters, but just curious)

jjk1

Thanks! I appreciate your reply!

Since you own it, can you please tell me if the the curved part (the left and right side) of the front face plate is metal or not? (not that it really matters, but just curious)
The flat part of the front is metal, the curved end caps appear to be plastic but I haven’t opened it to exam the backside of the end caps to verify. I don’t think you would be disappointed in the build quality. The internal pictures Ive looked at online look good.
I bought the amp to replace a similarly specked NAD c356 that I used for about 5 years. That amp still works fine, but has some seriously burnt looking components (it always ran very hot) and the volume control was pretty terrible via the remote.
the Marantz runs cool, and “seems“ to have more power, sounds better (subjectively) at low volume. I like, and use the extra tone control for the mids. It’s a nice amp.

sniegs

It is difficult to adjust the volume with the remote control. The volume control is strange because sometimes when you press the volume button on the remote control, it slams hard forward, but sometimes it behaves normally, relatively chaotic and unpredictable. If you press the volume on the remote control with microscopic touches, then the volume of the first 9 positions does not change, then the tenth is like 2, then 11-13 is empty again and 14 is the next level 3.
Marantz had such a problem with the volume controls that they even tried to fix. I don't know if this is my case, but I have encountered such a disease with both Denon and Marantz.

The preamplifier is good, I get a good sound when using it directly. If I use it only as an amplifier, then nothing special.

Top Bottom