• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best Tools for Hobby and Work

Cosmik

Major Contributor
Nice....

I've had good luck using a hammer on the bolt head to send a shock wave down the shank.

Apply torque and smack it.
I'm always squeamish about 'collateral damage'. When they had to smash off the security bolts from one of my car wheels (because the previous owner didn't give us the key) I didn't enjoy it...

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Saw this being used on a car restoration show.
Damn, how cool is that! I could have used one of them about a million times when I was working.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Saw this being used on a car restoration show.
Wow, I have to get me one of those! :D It seems to have incredible amount of power to heat up even that cylinder block.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Here's a man-sized version:

csm_20.05.2015AJAX_9df255b96d.jpg

"The TOCCOtron AC has a solid-state inverter design which provides significantly
improved efficiency and reliability over the old SCR/Thyristor based induction heaters
previously used in this application. The air-cooled design of the induction power
supply greatly reduced the water cooling requirements on the job site. In addition,
the 35 kW TOCCOtron AC carries both CSA and CE certifications and utilizes a one-world
voltage standard allowing it to be powered from a 380-600 Vac 50/60 Hz input."

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Here's a man-sized version:

csm_20.05.2015AJAX_9df255b96d.jpg

"The TOCCOtron AC has a solid-state inverter design which provides significantly
improved efficiency and reliability over the old SCR/Thyristor based induction heaters
previously used in this application. The air-cooled design of the induction power
supply greatly reduced the water cooling requirements on the job site. In addition,
the 35 kW TOCCOtron AC carries both CSA and CE certifications and utilizes a one-world
voltage standard allowing it to be powered from a 380-600 Vac 50/60 Hz input."
Will this help me get the lid off the honey jar??

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Better use hot water. This one is not for people with delicate hands! :D
Looks like it would be handy for Thomas to make his afternoon cup of tea.
We just need to send him a tin cup to use with it. :p

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Look at this other neat trick for removing a stuck bolt that doesn't require induction tool:
Whatever you say Amir,
Ain't no one waxing my nuts. :eek:

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
When I work on the RV or boat I crimp everything as I do for some electronic work. I use Ancor ratcheting crimper but they are a pain to use with heavier wire. With yellow connectors it is all but impossible to use even with two hands. Here comes a power version which is on my to buy list. Greenlee in US has branded it now: https://www.amazon.com/Greenlee-EK50ML13811-Micro-Crimping-13-8mm/dp/B00M94YZGA

At over $500 it is quite steep in pricing but hey, you only live once. :)

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
"Don't get your finger in it" he says.

Ronm1

NIce tool but $$
Fade to crimp

Ronm1

Ship a few to Gitmo

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Am in the market for a hammer drill for major rewiring of the woodshop. Did a bit of searching and found this most excellent comparison of battery operated ones and I thought I share it:

c1ferrari

Forum Donor
Some heavy hitters, there! :D
Uncertain, but I've heard some Hilti tools stop operation for scheduled service,
i.e., unit must be returned to Hilti.
o_O

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
We were talking about screwdrivers on another thread and I thought to add this here.
Super valuable for just about anything is a good gunsmith screwdriver set. With sizes in all widths and thicknesses you can get a perfect grip on just about any size screw without damaging either the screw or surrounding areas.
93447_ts.jpg

Top Bottom