• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Elac Uni-fi 2.0 announced

HooStat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Sounds like you could be describing surround upmixing artifacts.
or downmixing artifacts if it is from a multichannel movie/tv show being turned into 2 channel? Maybe it is doing something strange with the rear channels in the mix? I know nothing about this, but it does sound like an issue with the soundtrack mix and not the speakers.

teej

or downmixing artifacts if it is from a multichannel movie/tv show being turned into 2 channel? Maybe it is doing something strange with the rear channels in the mix? I know nothing about this, but it does sound like an issue with the soundtrack mix and not the speakers.
The more I think about it the more that makes sense. I will try a few things, starting with playing that same bit of movie in 2-channel stereo mode. Tomorrow I'll also try running it through the new amp. I'm excited to have an solution...

teej

Last night I listened to the Neverending Story opening credits again, and they still sounded a little strange, but not as bad as I remembered. I switched to the actual song via Spotify and it sounded significantly better. There is still something fishy going on with the AVR. I haven't tried the DAC route yet.

I also listened to some SNARKY Puppy (not SKINNY as I wrote before - yikes), and I get the sense that this is really where these are going to shine, even with their impressive vocal presentation.

Then I had a whole night of Beatles listening with Abbey Road, Let It Be Naked, and Sgt. Pepper. The new ultimate editions sounded like brand-new recordings (in a good way). I couldn't possibly pick which one sounded the best, but Let It Be Naked in all it's raw glory was a delight. And Abbey Road, which I've heard a thousand times, was offering details I've never consciously picked up on, even with these speakers in a less-than-ideal position. Maybe it was just me listening extra-hard, I may never know.

I still plan on driving these with the new amp (arrives today!). Excited to see if it will be an improvement. If that's the case I may have to accelerate my new amp schedule, whether my wife likes it or not.

Last edited:
OP
sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Posted 4hrs ago
Q/A with Andrew Jones
1hr10min in length

Interesting sections:
- Between 28min-35min, someone asked "Debut Reference or Uni-Fi 2.0?" and Andrew answered.
- Between 1hr06min-1hr07min, someone asked "Upcoming powered speakers?" and ELAC answered "Yes, more powered speakers on the way".

Last edited:

BN1

Looks like a review with lots of measurements. https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/speaker/elac-uni-fi-2-0-loudspeaker-system-review/

If anyone has more insight into the center channel measurements, it would be good to hear.

Yes, my compliments to the author for giving a lot of time to the center channel. Too many overlook the center and for HT it is a key speaker. These measurements can be manipulated by the scale applied to look different but the reviewer did a good job with these. Hopefully they show up in an ASR evaluation soon.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor

BN1

Interesting measurements. Looks like the old "dip and sizzle" we see so often.

I am continually confounded as to why Audyssey insists on dipping that region even more with the default Midrange Compensation.

I'm a rookie here but I assume that the "dip/sizzle" is something similar to the "BBC Dip". Here is a pretty decent explanation from Paul McGowan:
https://www.psaudio.com/askpaul/is-the-bbc-dip-still-used-in-speakers/

At least he addresses the dip logic ...

Interesting ...

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
I'm a rookie here but I assume that the "dip/sizzle" is something similar to the "BBC Dip". Here is a pretty decent explanation from Paul McGowan:
https://www.psaudio.com/askpaul/is-the-bbc-dip-still-used-in-speakers/

At least he addresses the dip logic ...

Interesting ...

It is just a generic reference to a broad dip centered around 2K followed by a narrower peak at 5K. It is sometimes dictated by budget and sometimes by Marketing.

Paul sells too much snake oil ('audiophile' electrical outlets, noise harvesters, etc.) for me to value his opinion on much of anything.

BN1

It is just a generic reference to a broad dip centered around 2K followed by a narrower peak at 5K. It is sometimes dictated by budget and sometimes by Marketing.

Paul sells too much snake oil ('audiophile' electrical outlets, noise harvesters, etc.) for me to value his opinion on much of anything.

That dip sure seems to be centered close to the cross-over between the tweeter and woofer around 2k, do you think that the peak around 5k might be too high (ie "sizzle") ?

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
That dip sure seems to be centered close to the cross-over between the tweeter and woofer around 2k, do you think that the peak around 5k might be too high (ie "sizzle") ?

Yes. Sometimes budget limits the complexity of the crossover, sometimes the extension of 1 or more drivers, etc. It is also common to find a directivity error near the crossover due to lack of effective waveguide.

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert

Most of what he says is just wrong. The BBC dip really doesn't have anything to do with phase bug-a-boos at the crossover point. If the crossover is properly designed, the phase relationships between the two drivers can be whatever is required to get them to sum as intended. The issue is, how do you want them to sum? The most sensitive range of our hearing is between 2k and 4k. Many recordings are very closely mic'd, and that can make for a harsh sound if the speakers are voiced flat. Also, if the tweeter has much broader dispersion than the woofer (or midrange) in the crossover region, the overall response can flare up off axis. One approach to mitigate these issues is to voice the speake's on-axis response down somewhat in the critical area. Another is to use a wave guide on the tweeter, which can solve the off axis flare issue, but also introduce coloration and/or a restricted sound stage if not implemented correctly. Another is to choose drivers and crossover points that achieve fairly uniform directivity. In either of those instances, closely mic'd recordings and other recording engineer sins can still sound harsh, but the speakers will sound more detailed and realistic on properly recorded selections.

Last edited:

BN1

Thanks DM, excellent explanation. So it is just coincidence that A. Jones is British ?

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
Thanks DM, excellent explanation. So it is just coincidence that A. Jones is British ?

I believe he's from down under. Which might explain why his designs are a little erratic.

honn

Ok... they arrived a day early. After a couple hours tonight my initial response. First the cons: less bass
How much less? My listening room is just 12x10. In that room a sub was not needed with the DBR62. (Rotel 200x2 watt amp) I would need one with the uni-fi. It’s a small difference but just at that point where one will miss the sub. Heavy bass electronic Music caused the front round port to chuff, to make a loud distinct flutter noise. I could feel the air from the port 8 ft away! Seriously, not exaggerating. The front port on the DBR62 did not make any noise in spite of the extreme driver travel.
Now the pro’s:
As I had hoped the midrange no longer has that slight coloration from the cabinet and/or expecting the 6.5” driver to produce the 1k to 2.2k Range. It’s amazing how good a job it does do but it’s bested by wide margin on some recordings by the Uni-fi 2.0. The voice range sounds much closer to the Martin Logan electrostatic speakers I use to own, but Proved to be too large for the listening room in my new home. Voices have a lot more space surrounding the singer and its noticeably tighter, with a more focus location in space. If you listen to a lot of vocals like jazz, or Nora Jones, Dylan or Leonard Cohen I.e. stuff not over produced, these are a much better choice than the DBR62. Just add a sub. If you don’t use a sub or want more rock or pop type music, definitely go with the DBR62.
how about for operas and classical, the Uni-Fi 2.0 or DBR62? I have the latter but might exchange them.

Reactions: BN1

BN1

how about for operas and classical, the Uni-Fi 2.0 or DBR62? I have the latter but might exchange them.
I expected something to be sacrificed for that 6 ohm rating (BTW - kudos to Elac for honestly rating their speakers, hear that Klipsch ?).

Shazb0t

We need to see the Uni-Fi 2.0 get measured on the Klippel to give you an informed response.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
We need to see the Uni-Fi 2.0 get measured on the Klippel to give you an informed response.
You may not have to wait long for that! ;) :)

HooStat

I really hope they measure well. I still cant buy them even if they do... gosh they are so ugly and cheap looking for $600
I think that is the point. They put all the money inside the speaker and did as little as possible with the cosmetics.

Top Bottom