• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Qobuz/Audirvana/ASIO/USB 2.0??

el_micko

Hi guys,

Just after some advice as the internet is awash with forums saying different things regarding my below query. Most things below have been discussed individually on here but mine is specific to my machine and setup. Hoping someone can advise.

I've just bought a Supra 2.0 USB (A-B) cable which I'm running out the back of my ifi Zen DAC/Amp straight into a USB 2.0 port on my laptop. Should I be running this into a 3.0 port or doesn't it matter. Also would it matter if I ran it into a USB hub which is also 3.0?

Then, my laptop is 16gb of ram and 250gb ssd and the chip is an ok one, so I'm ok on that front. On the software side, I'm running Qobuz through Audirvana. I'm upsampling by the power of 2 in Audirvana, do I need to? Also which is best for my setup, ASIO, Direct Sound, WASAPI or WASAPI Exclusive? I'm currently upsampling with ASIO but I've not even got into latency settings? I'm also running a modded pair of balanced DT770 Pro 250ohm.

Can you advise on any of this? I also know a lot of it comes down to the original recording, master as well as what my ears can actually hear plus my personal taste but just wondered what your thoughts were?

Thanks in advance

E M

tw99

My first comment is you've probably wasted a load of money by buying a more expensive cable than is needed to get the bits from your computer to your DAC. Can't comment on the rest of it.

OP
E

el_micko

My first comment is you've probably wasted a load of money by buying a more expensive cable than is needed to get the bits from your computer to your DAC. Can't comment on the rest of it.
ok can't do any harm though, right?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Can you advise on any of this?

First question is whether you can still send back that cable. Digital Cables especially, but cables in general are threshold competency items... Beyond Amazon basics, or Blue Jean cables if you want a little nicer presentation is not going to get you better result.

For the rest, upsampling isn't going to make anything sound better.

Are you having any specific issues you are trying to solve, or just trying to maximize your setup for potential SQ?

OP
E

el_micko

First question is whether you can still send back that cable. Digital Cables especially, but cables in general are threshold competency items... Beyond Amazon basics, or Blue Jean cables if you want a little nicer presentation is not going to get you better result.

For the rest, upsampling isn't going to make anything sound better.

Are you having any specific issues you are trying to solve, or just trying to maximize your setup for potential SQ?

Should I just use the stock cable that came with the DAC/amp then and send the Supra back?

No issues just trying to maximise SQ

Also does it matter if I'm using USB 2.0 or 3.0 and should the USB hub make any difference..... and how about ASIO or WASAPI Exclusive?

Thanks

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I've just bought a Supra 2.0 USB (A-B) cable which I'm running out the back of my ifi Zen DAC/Amp straight into a USB 2.0 port on my laptop. Should I be running this into a 3.0 port or doesn't it matter. Also would it matter if I ran it into a USB hub which is also 3.0?

If you are powereing the iFi via USB, maybe a difference:

"In the USB 1.0 and 2.0 specs, a standard downstream port is capable of delivering up to 500mA (0.5A); with USB 3.0, it moves up to 900mA (0.9A)."

The iFi has a 3.0 USB port.

The Supracable (I assume) is wired for USB 2.0, so the higher speed isn't available (I assume again)

1605351509971.png

Either USB 2.0 or 3.0 will support all the data rates the DAC will accept (from what I can read)

---

Hubs:

I use a couple of powered 3.0 hubs here. One around the PC, and the other at the rack (with a 2.0 cable in-between them)

PC -> USB 3.0 -> 3.0 cable -> Hub -> 2.0 cable -> 3.0 Hub -> Focusrite, DAC, and two miniDSP, and other stuff when needed.

Beyond that, haven't thought about it.

Should I just use the stock cable that came with the DAC/amp then and served the Supra back?

Is the stock cable a 3.0 cable?

1605352399997.png

I'd return the Supra unless you really think it does something the stock cable can't (unlikely).

Last edited:

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Should I just use the stock cable that came with the DAC/amp then and send the Supra back
Don't beat yourself up about the cable. As you said, the internet is awash with (dodgy) advice.

By the way, welcome to ASR. Stick with this site and you'll safe loads of money whilst still getting top performance!

I agree that you should return the cable, if possible. However it's not like you've wasted vast amounts of money. You'll be able to chalk it up to experience without weeping into your wallet. If truth be told, we've all made purchases that we now regret (particularly when it comes to cables!).

OP
E

el_micko

If you are powereing the iFi via USB, maybe a difference:

"In the USB 1.0 and 2.0 specs, a standard downstream port is capable of delivering up to 500mA (0.5A); with USB 3.0, it moves up to 900mA (0.9A)."

The iFi has a 3.0 USB port.

The Supracable (I assume) is wired for USB 2.0, so the higher speed isn't available (I assume again)

View attachment 93477

Either USB 2.0 or 3.0 will support all the data rates the DAC will accept (from what I can read)

---

Hubs:

I use a couple of powered 3.0 hubs here. One around the PC, and the other at the rack (with a 2.0 cable in-between them)

PC -> USB 3.0 -> 3.0 cable -> Hub -> 2.0 cable -> 3.0 Hub -> Focusrite, DAC, and two miniDSP, and other stuff when needed.

Beyond that, haven't thought about it.

Is the stock cable a 3.0 cable?

View attachment 93478

I'd return the Supra unless you really think it does something the stock cable can't (unlikely).

I'll return the Supra as the stock is indeed a 3.0 B. Any advice on the ASIO/Wasapi front?

Thank you for the detailed reply btw

OP
E

el_micko

Don't beat yourself up about the cable. As you said, the internet is awash with (dodgy) advice.

By the way, welcome to ASR. Stick with this site and you'll safe loads of money whilst still getting top performance!

I agree that you should return the cable, if possible. However it's not like you've wasted vast amounts of money. You'll be able to chalk it up to experience without weeping into your wallet. If truth be told, we've all made purchases that we now regret (particularly when it comes to cables!).

Glad to be here. As you can tell I'm just starting out. I'm returning the Supra cable. Do you think running it through a USB 3.0 hub would matter and do you have any experience of what is better with ASIO or WASAPI?

Thanks for you time

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Glad to be here. As you can tell I'm just starting out. I'm returning the Supra cable. Do you think running it through a USB 3.0 hub would matter and do you have any experience of what is better with ASIO or WASAPI?

Thanks for you time
@RayDunzl's post suggests that the USB A to B connection (PC to DAC) can be either 2.0 or 3.0 cable and can use either a 2.0 or 3.0 connection at the A end (whether that's directly into the PC or into a hub). That sounds correct to me.

As to ASIO or WASAPI, I now only use Raspberry Pi's for my streaming, but when I used a PC I tended to use WASAPI in exclusive mode. Having said that I have used ASIO and didn't notice any increase or decrease in SQ.

If you set it up in a "wrong" way you'll know about it. Apart from that, just enjoy the music!

OP
E

el_micko

@RayDunzl's post suggests that the USB A to B connection (PC to DAC) can be either 2.0 or 3.0 cable and can use either a 2.0 or 3.0 connection at the A end (whether that's directly into the PC or into a hub). That sounds correct to me.

As to ASIO or WASAPI, I now only use Raspberry Pi's for my streaming, but when I used a PC I tended to use WASAPI in exclusive mode. Having said that I have used ASIO and didn't notice any increase or decrease in SQ.

If you set it up in a "wrong" way you'll know about it. Apart from that, just enjoy the music!

All great points. Thank you

Top Bottom