• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Google Pixel 2 has the best camera of any smartphone

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
https://www.dxomark.com/google-pixel-2-reviewed-sets-new-record-smartphone-camera-quality/

Conclusion: Smartphone camera on a new level
We’re in danger of running out of superlatives when describing the major image quality attributes of the Google Pixel 2. That makes sense for a device that tops our scoring charts —up from the 94 of the Apple iPhone 8 Plus and Samsung Galaxy Note 8 to a record-setting 98. So for just about any Photo or Video use case, it recommends itself as the phone camera with the best image quality. A notable exception to that assessment centers around the added performance in Zoom and Bokeh (including Depth and Portrait) that dual-camera smartphones such as the Apple iPhone 8 Plus and Galaxy Note 8 can provide. This said, the Pixel 2 is especially well-suited to videographers, as it achieves the highest Video score for any device we’ve tested — a 96.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
Interesting; I thought the iPhone 8 and Galaxy Note 8 were the best, camera wise.

These guys reviewing those camera phones must be professional experts, yes?
It wouldn't be biased business driven, no?
We can trust those articles, yes?

If it isn't agenda driven or fake news...good for the Google Pixel 2 camera smartphone. It should help in sales, and it's a great camera phone for audio show visitors who like to share pictures of audio gear...all that jazz. ...Cool.

Vincent Kars

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Would be nice if someone did this kind of reviews audio quality wise :)

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
I think the portrait depth of field is significant. I’m waiting for the iPhone x. I tested the iPhone 8 plus at the store. I like how the dual camera does portraits. It’s impressive.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/7/16439510/google-pixel-2-xl-features-specs-best-worst
https://www.tomsguide.com/us/pictures-story/1310-google-pixel-2-reasons-to-buy-and-skip.html

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordon...e-difference-should-you-upgrade/#3a254d6a1c70
_____

The 2x optical zoom of the new iPhone 8 and Galaxy S8 is cooler from their dual lens cameras. But other than that the Pixel 2's camera is impressive, very.

LG is coming up with their new models too, with positive rumors.
_____

Those new smart phones pack a lot of cool technologies, very advanced.
And they have strong processors, more than most laptops and tablets, even some PCs.

• Pixel 2, Pixel 2 XL - Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 octa-core chipset (4x 2.35GHz and 4x 1.9GHz Kryo CPUs), Adreno 540 GPU; 4GB of RAM
Wow!

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
These guys reviewing those camera phones must be professional experts, yes?
DXOMark has been around for 10 to 15 years and is a respected organization. They use a set of objective measures to determine image quality. There are disputes -- although much less severely -- on how relevant their measurements are vs reality. But not enough to dismiss them out of hand in reports like this.

Their claim to fame was image correction for lenses and cameras which then got adopted by other companies like Adobe and pulled the rug from under them.

I seem to recall they were were a French company. When I was at Microsoft we were approached to acquire them but I didn't think there was enough there, there to do that.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Thanks Amir; they seem to fit the criteria of professionalism in their domain:
https://www.dxomark.com/about-us/
https://www.dxomark.com/editorial-team/
https://www.dxomark.com/work-for-us/

"At DxOMark, we’re always looking for talented and passionate professionals to join our Paris-based team. We’re especially interested in Image Science or Camera Engineers and Researchers, as well as in Software Programmers and Lab Technicians (a passion for digital and/or smartphone photography is a plus)."

Paris is French indeed.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
DXO are a great innovative company IMO.
OTOH I only use my phone for pictures in an emergency, always too wide an angle for my taste. I normally have a camera with me.
I didn't like the Android defaults when I tried one so sold it. I have always bought for software not hardware.
Back when I started (1970) one had to write all the software oneself though.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Yes, it set new record for still photography at DXOMark too: https://www.dxomark.com/apple-iphone-x-top-performer-stills/

"
Test summary
With a Photo score of 101, the Apple iPhone X achieves the best results so far for still images, edging out the Huawei Mate 10 Pro and the Samsung Galaxy Note 8, the previous joint leaders in the Photo ranking, by one point. Compared to its cousin iPhone 8 Plus, the X improves noticeably on Zoom performance, but also does better in terms of Exposure, Color, Texture, Noise and Artifacts. Other key strengths in still image mode include very good exposures and HDR images, accurate color rendering, good detail with low noise, as well as a natural-looking bokeh effect in Portrait mode.

For video, the X doesn’t quite rise to the same high-water mark, achieving a video sub-score of 89 points. With its key strengths good exposure with fast convergence during lighting changes, accurate color rendering as well as fast and accurate autofocus and effective video stabilization, the X’s scores are almost identical to the iPhone 8 Plus’s. Its overall score of 97 puts the iPhone X into joint second place with the Huawei Mate 10 in the current DxOMark Mobile overall rankings, just behind the Google Pixel 2 with 98 points."

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
I'm pretty happy with my X. I upgrade my phone every two years. I think the improvements have slowed down and are more subtle than they used to be. The X is more of a subtle improvement over past iphones, IMO. I use it for work and for play, so its very important to me.

I have to say that my apple watch 3 is a real game changer compared with the apple watch 2. I workout and run a lot and I make good use of different workout apps and metrics on the apple watch. I also track my sleep. However, the watch 3 allows me to leave the iphone behind in many situations. I especially enjoy leaving it behind when I workout in the gym or I'm outside running/hiking. It's nice because I'm not ever tempted to surf the web or check social meida, but I'm still in contact (text, email, or phone calls) to the extent I want to be. The watch 3 coupled with nice bluetooth earbuds is so sweet because i can also stream apple music while I'm active. I really think the apple watch 3 is a much bigger story than the iphone x.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Yeh, I think their past failure with the previous versions of the watch has dampened the enthusiasm of the press to write anything about it. Classic example of releasing something before technology could catch up to it. Something Jobs always said he would not do. Then again them doing the watch may have advanced the technology.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm pretty happy with my X. I upgrade my phone every two years. I think the improvements have slowed down and are more subtle than they used to be. The X is more of a subtle improvement over past iphones, IMO. I use it for work and for play, so its very important to me.

I have to say that my apple watch 3 is a real game changer compared with the apple watch 2. I workout and run a lot and I make good use of different workout apps and metrics on the apple watch. I also track my sleep. However, the watch 3 allows me to leave the iphone behind in many situations. I especially enjoy leaving it behind when I workout in the gym or I'm outside running/hiking. It's nice because I'm not ever tempted to surf the web or check social meida, but I'm still in contact (text, email, or phone calls) to the extent I want to be. The watch 3 coupled with nice bluetooth earbuds is so sweet because i can also stream apple music while I'm active. I really think the apple watch 3 is a much bigger story than the iphone x.
I have gone from a 6+ to a X recently and I like it, otoh I don't like being a phone-slave, so all push notifications are off and I don't do emails on phones.
I don't often engage mobile data either so I am not interrupted when out, or only by texts and calls. I probably have mobile data on for about 2 or 3 hours a month, I mainly rely on wifi.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I wish Android would get the update situation fixed. With most vendors you'll get maybe one or maybe zero updates to the basic Android OS. You'll have to buy a Google phone to get continued updates to the OS itself (and in a timely manor), and even those aren't done as long as Apple does for IOS. And please stop making phones thinner with less battery plus a battery you can't replace. I wish Motorola would release a THICK phone with massive battery capacity. A way to differentiate themselves from the crowd and have their own niche.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Samsung is very good with updates. I am still getting updates to my 4 year old tablets to the latest Android OS. Ditto for the phone.

On battery, the Samsung s8+ is superb. The larger screen allows larger battery. Even with heavy usage I can't get it below 50 to 60% per day.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Samsung is very good with updates. I am still getting updates to my 4 year old tablets to the latest Android OS. Ditto for the phone.

On battery, the Samsung s8+ is superb. The larger screen allows larger battery. Even with heavy usage I can't get it below 50 to 60% per day.

Maybe that is better then. I have a functional SIII Galaxy which only received one real Android update (unless some have come out in the last 18 months. I have a Nexus 6p which is now 2 years old. The battery seems to be fading some now. Was okay for the first 20 months. It did get extremely heavy usage for the first year.

I keep meaning to try the Lineage OS on the SIII.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
My Motorola Android phone has no battery removal for replacement.
I had only one upgrade to its operating system, and what it gained in operational efficiency it lost in camera performance.

My Samsung tablet had two upgrades in OS. What I gained on battery lasting longer I lost on battery charging time. The tablet can last 12 hours no sweat, even with YouTube videos, but it takes much longer now to charge it; say from 20% to 100% it takes now roughly six hours...before it took only three hours.

You win some, you lose some.

If you buy a premium phone or tablet...iPhone or iPad (Apple), you get all the upgrades. Lol, Apple is not number one for nothing.
I had LG, have Motorola, Samsung and Sony, and my friends and family have Apple products and others Microsoft products, Google...my smartest friends and family members are the ones between and above.
The best looking people, the youngest use Apple, the elders use Microsoft, and the brightest use both. ...From my own entourage, but if I move to the next street corner it could be the total opposite.

It is extraordinary today the reliance we have with our electronic devices.
We live artificially with intelligent access to the world in the palm of our hand. When we were kids we were relating to our parents and teachers knowledge, plus what we heard on the AM radio and what we saw on our cathode black and white tube TVs.

Today we have the world encyclopedia not in libraries but inside our phones.
The phones we had when we were kids were with coiled wires and huge bricks, with an analog round dialing ring. Lol

Fifty years from now, when we're all gone, unless some of you are under fifty and with a steel health that makes you almost immortal...till age 100 or so, can you imagine...
They will use only their mind to communicate and get all answers to all questions. No more prehistoric devices like iPhones and Samsung androids.

They will live in the new age of flying cars and rockets. ...And only from mind energy operated. The human race in 200 years from now will be so advanced that they won't need Twitter and Facebook any more. That, is progress.

Top Bottom