• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AV Processor Recommendation

Vivek

Forum Donor
Have been following this forum religiously for months now :)
Have had some Hifi equipment for a while but not an expert 2007- KEF IQ50 with Denon 1908. 2010 - B&W CM7 with Marantz AV 5014 followed by Sony AV STR 1050 (2015) and BlueSound Powernode 2i (2019). Had used Wharfedale for surround speakers and a Wharfedale center during the time I had the Sony and Marantz av receiver.

Am based in Denmark (last 6 years) Last week I upgraded to B&W 702 S2 and intend to buy the Center and a pair of SVS 2000 Subwoofers. Will use the old Wharefadale surrounds (need to find them in storage!).

Write to this forums seeking suggestion on AV receiver or AV processor. I am inclined to do the below based on all a lot of reading primarily on this forum:
1. Buy the Denon X6700H ( Anthem AV 60 is the Second Choice)
2. Buy a 3 channel Purify (Danish) board based Class D amplifier.
3. Use the Denon as a Pre Amplifier for the front stage and power the rears with Denon's built in amp
( Buy a second small Class D amp for rears if I go with the Anthem AV 60)
4. Continue to use blue sound for Music with the new Purity amplifier (Dont know how, but want to)

Based on your experiences would like to know, do & donts...

Cheers

circumstances

Maybe hold off on the Denon until they resolve the HDMI 2.1 bug.

I personally bought the x3700h and I am using it as a preamp with an Anthem 5 channel amp (MCA 50).

I don't know what the 6700 offers in preamp-only mode that you would need over the 3700, you might be able to save some money.

(I paid under $1,000 usd).

OP
Vivek

Vivek

Forum Donor
Thanks C.

X3700H could be an option as well.
My reasoning behind the 6700 was that it would allow me to keep run a 5.1 adequately on its own. I could simply pre out the front left and right channels and make them run via an amp for Stereo music but I can see the advantages of your setup.
Any specific reason you went with X3700H and not Anthem AV60?

Thank you for the Hdmi 2.1 tip.

Webninja

Forum Donor
I believe only the Denon 8500x will let you turn off the amps for the front three (LCR). The 8500x will let you turn off any channels amp. The other models only offer Left and Right, but not Center.

OP
Vivek

Vivek

Forum Donor
Wow. Thx did not know that. I

circumstances

Thanks C.

X3700H could be an option as well.
My reasoning behind the 6700 was that it would allow me to keep run a 5.1 adequately on its own. I could simply pre out the front left and right channels and make them run via an amp for Stereo music but I can see the advantages of your setup.
Any specific reason you went with X3700H and not Anthem AV60?

Thank you for the Hdmi 2.1 tip.

I keep stuff forever, so I wanted to future proof (as much as possible).

When I was looking to buy, the AVM 60 was over four years old, and the successor unit (AVM 70) was nowhere in sight.

I was also wondering what the AVM 70 MSRP might be, given the price of the AVM 60.

It came down to not wanting to wait any longer, being able to utilize my MCA 50, and the price difference between the 3700 and the AVM 70 (which came in priced very reasonably, but still over 3 1/2 times what I paid for the 3700).

Webninja

Forum Donor
OP
Vivek

Vivek

Forum Donor
Thanks C and WN.

Given that I watch movies only on streaming services from my tv which connects to my bluesound powernode via ARC. My TV does not support eARC ( what a bummer bought it in January 2020)

I am beginning to wonder the need for a ac receiver at all. My tv will never pass high quality audio (DTS) over arc. Hence what’s the use of a decoder when the input signal is not as intended by the movie maker.

Will it not be better to buy. Let’s say a lovely ARC And chromecast enabled integrated stereo amp like lyngdroff 1120 and be happy with good 2.1 sound with a subwoofer?

Urgo

Forum Donor
Also with the Denon Anniversary A110, you could individually disconnect the channels as it handles heavyweight pricing like the AV60.
It would be more up to date and with higher build quality and insulation than the 8500. The current problem is the faulty hdmi 2.1 in the 2020 models.

But I don't quite understand your claims. If it's a 5.2 setup with an external amp for the front and center, and you can buy another amp for the rear, with any Denon or Marantz from this year you will be able to disconnect all channels.
With a more modest avr with external amplification for its 5 channels, the Denon 3700-4700 for example, you can save a good money, and you will surely not have audible differences with what you have exposed. It is an opinion.

On the other hand, if you do not have Arc, for 5.1 channels you can have good sound by connecting the television to the avr by optical cable.
It's clear that you won't be able to enjoy Arc's latest surround formats and comfort, but without height speakers you won't miss out on much. Another thing is that you want to use them in the future.

Edit I just read that it does have Arc, it won't need another connection

Last edited:

Urgo

Forum Donor
In any case, I would wait for the hdmi 2.1 problem to be solved, and if I am in a hurry I would buy an even cheaper older model.

Anyway, there are currently no 8k or 4k 100hz players, except for the next video game consoles, and I don't think your television is compatible either.

OP
Vivek

Vivek

Forum Donor
I actually do not need video processing from my ab receiver as I will connect my tv to av reciever via the ARC. Have a samsung Qe75q70r that can play 4K @ 120hz.

what I need is good quality sound for 2.1 or 2.2 music and 5.2 movies.

I have the speakers (read above) now my dilemma is how to procure AV processor/receiver and/or Stereo integrated amp or Power Amp ensure high quality sound for both Stereo and 5.1 :)

@Vivek
Just confirmed that the 8500 can pre-amp out any of the channels individually, while the lower model Denons can only do left and Right OR all channels pre.

ASR Review:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/denon-avr-x8500h-avr-review.15266/

The 8500 is the only AVR in my list, as I would like to do a three channel purifi or hypex for LCR, just as you have outlined.
WN: I have experience with hypex via bluesound powernode. They are good with monitors and smaller speakers but kinda flatline with floorstanders. Or maybe the hypex implementation was not good enough. Anyways that’s my 2 cents. Also there may be a reason that NAD is adopting purify for its Masters series.

Last edited:

Certainkindoffool

Forum Donor
For less than the price difference between the x3700h and x8500, I was able to purchase 2x nc400 and 1x nc252mp for the rear and surround channels.

Edit: I will likely purchase another nc400 channel within this threshold as well. Added to the existing nc400 monoblocks I already had, this would leave me with 5 x nc400, 2xnc250, and a denon x3700h for a total cost of around $4500US(inc. Taxes). Overkill, but I like to pick up deals when they are available, and I am happy with the investment.

Last edited:

Urgo

Forum Donor
I don't know if I have explained myself well, I use the Google translator.
If you already have a Hypex Purifi amplifier for 3 channels, and you have planned to install another one for the 2 rear channels, for a 5.1 or 5.2 system like yours with self-powered sw, with any Denon model of this year you can disconnect ALL your amplification channels, and get clean, quality sound, as ASR has already proven for both Denon and Purifi.
Using external amplification for the 5.2 channels you would have practically no audible differences between the Denon 2020 avr models and the Denon x8500h.
In your case, if you can disconnect all channels, you should not base your purchase on the individual disconnect capability of the x8500h, you do not need this feature, unless you want to use more channels. You'll get the same result with any other more affordable Denon model this year.
The 8500 is undoubtedly more attractive, and it is clearly your money.

OP
Vivek

Vivek

Forum Donor
Thx.
I think I got got your points ;
just buy the Cheapest denon with required features and amplify with purify: cost Around 3000 USD

The question then is, will this sound as good as an anthem Av70 and purify amplification. Cost around 7000 USD.

will buy and run for 10 years and hence need to buy something I will be super happy with for a long time.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The difference between avrs/processors for audio differences will largely lie with its room eq/dsp. IMO Anthem is simply too expensive for what it is,

Urgo

Forum Donor
Thx.
just buy the Cheapest denon with required features and amplify with purify: cost Around 3000 USD

The question then is, will this sound as good as an anthem Av70 and purify amplification. Cost around 7000 USD.

will buy and run for 10 years and hence need to buy something I will be super happy with for a long time.

My previous avr was a Denon for 15 years with no problem. But I'm not so sure of its current reliability given the latest issues.

Regarding Anthem I have no experience, but I am not carried away by subjective opinions, the ones tested here do not come out well, and less in relation to their price, especially if we compare them with others.

OP
Vivek

Vivek

Forum Donor
Guys, I am now getting a used M17 and M27 pair for USD 5750. Seems to be a good Sweetspot between Denon and 3 channel Appolon and AV70 and 3+2 channel Appolon?

The M17 has the Bluesound and VM300 4K module installed. The M27 has great reviews here. M17 not so great.

Would really appreciate some advice as I may have to pull the trigger this week .-)

lovemusic

Thx.

Vivek, I went with AV70 and separate amplifier. This is an upgrade from my old Denon AVR. Reason I went with the AV70+AMP are:

1. Better streaming choices: Built in chromecast, spotify connect and roon (soon)
2. Better DAC
3. Much Better room correction
4. XLR outs - not a fan of RCA

Like you I plan on using it for next decade plus. Hence I was prepared to spend the additional amount for a better system.

OP
Vivek

Vivek

Forum Donor
Thx. Out of curiosity,What was the amplifier choice that you made

lovemusic

I went with a used ATI signature series amp. I was tempted by class D (Hypex/Purifi) but the higher SINAD seemed more apt for my use (music listening) as opposed to movies.

On a different note, I looked into NAD as well. Great price on the combo btw. I was thrown off by the NAD M17V2 review my Amir.

Top Bottom