• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Coffee - do you and how do you consume it?

spacevector

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
For the past year or so, I have been using the below combo:

- Aeropress Coffee Maker: https://aeropress.com/product/aeropress-coffee-maker/
- Costco's Kirkland brand Colombian Supremo whole bean: https://www.amazon.com/Kirkland-Signature-Colombian-Supremo-Coffee/dp/B0036FKPVA
- Mr Coffee grinder
- Black and Decker kettle

I drink it black myself and make a cup with a splash of milk and sugar for the missus.

I used a French press for years prior and still use it if making many cups for a crowd but generally prefer the smoothness (no grit) of the aeropress.

Curious to see what other members use so I can try to switch it up.

1605152109980.png

1605152146602.png

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks - gonna order one to test. Looks similar to a mud coffee preparation without the mud of course.
I thought it appeared kinda flimsy and delicate in pictures and then when I opened the package I was pleasantly surprised that it is built from good materials. I've made hundreds of cups with it and it shows no signs of wear.

OP
S

spacevector

Forum Donor
I thought it appeared kinda flimsy and delicate in pictures and then when I opened the package I was pleasantly surprised that it is built from good materials. I've made hundreds of cups with it and it shows no signs of wear.
What coffee you use usually?

StevenEleven

Forum Donor
Great thread.

I am what you would call an avid consumer of coffee. :cool:

I use a cheap generic Krupps coffee maker and fresh-ground beans of various types and brands. They don’t seem to make the exact model of coffee maker I use anymore but it’s the same design as the current Krupps coffee makers, just as stripped down in terms of features as you could possibly imagine. So I think it cost $25 or $30.

I drink 6 to 12 cups of fresh brewed coffee a day, black. I would be interested to know if anyone else drinks that much. :D

I used to pop into coffee shops for a kicker but coronavirus changed all that. :oops:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I drink 6 to 12 cups of fresh brewed coffee a day, black. I would be interested to know if anyone else drinks that much. :D
I drank a lot of coffee some years ago. Like 24-30 cups(8 oz) a day. Very fine ground dark coffee and one day we where making espresso and coffee at work and competing who could drink the most. We started about 7:30 in the morning with bitters in the morning and by about 3pm I was OD'ing on caffeine. I really don't recommend that...lol.. It feels really gross, the mind is racing thoughts and one becomes very squirmy. :D

gvl

Major Contributor
Lavazza whole beans, Rancilio Rocky grinder, then through an aging Breville espresso maker/single wall filter that failed me multiple times but I kept it going for last 10 years. Next failure will likely be the last one, it's time to upgrade.

Reactions: JRS

GD Fan

Forum Donor
Great thread.

I am what you would call an avid consumer of coffee. :cool:

I use a cheap generic Krupps coffee maker and fresh-ground beans of various types and brands. They don’t seem to make the exact model of coffee maker I use anymore but it’s the same design as the current Krupps coffee makers, just as stripped down in terms of features as you could possibly imagine. So I think it cost $25 or $30.

I used to pop into coffee shops for a kicker but coronavirus changed all that. :oops:
Damn, that's some serious coffee intake. I'd love to have that much. But it would probably cut in to my wine or beer time. Or worse, prolong it!

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't drink it enough to make my own, there's a few cafes and local roasters I like. Generally I get a cold brew, flat white or pourover if I'm feeling especially fancy. Tried that nitrogenated stuff once as well. Not bad.

OP
S

spacevector

Forum Donor
I drink 6 to 12 cups of fresh brewed coffee a day, black. I would be interested to know if anyone else drinks that much.
When I was going to the office, I was averaging 8 cups a day, 6oz each. These days at home all the time, just the 8oz in the AM. The Keurig at work was so convenient and consistent and wasteful and free.

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I switched over to hot cocoa for most of my hot beverage consumption. Easy to make, consistent results and better for you. Less jitters and sleep better too. :D

gvl

Major Contributor
I drank a lot of coffee some years ago. Like 24-30 cups(8 oz) a day. Very fine ground dark coffee and one day we where making espresso and coffee at work and competing who could drink the most. We started about 7:30 in the morning with bitters in the morning and by about 3pm I was OD'ing on caffeine. I really don't recommend that...lol.. It feels really gross, the mind is racing thoughts and one becomes very squirmy. :D

You also get multiple opportunities to chat with your coworkers when visiting the John.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You also get multiple opportunities to chat with your coworkers when visiting the John.
The workplace where we where competing to see who could drink the most coffee was a very sociable workplace. We would smoke ciggies(years when I smoked) and weed and socialize all day long as we worked at our stations. It was very casual. :D We where successful at what we did and we didn't have to answer to the usual terms of employment. The boss bought lunch often, paid for all the coffee and was usually the instigator for rolling up a spliff.

Webninja

Forum Donor
Coffee is a treat for me, but it’s a bit too much caffeine at once, so I only do about 1-2 cups per week. My significant other drinks a more normal 1-2 cups per day. We like whole bean Groundwork coffee is a great balance of quality to price. They are local (Los Angles), but they also sell at Whole Foods.

I use the Bialetti stove top espresso maker, simple and easy to use/clean.

Top Bottom