• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What budget speakers you like to see reviewed?

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Their limitations as full range drivers are pretty obvious from the Soundandvision measurements. Things get dicey above around 5 kHz, and this is readily audible. But between 500 Hz and 4.5 kHz, they're pretty much unmatched. For me as a speaker designer, the main issue is purely marketing. How do I convince people that a driver this inexpensive deserves to be part of a top-of-the-line monitor?
Yeah, going off of only drivers measured by HiFiCompass, I was just imagining what awesome 3-way one could create, and the BMR was pretty much the only contender for the midrange; the only really other one, that could play lower (~300Hz crossover), was the SB ceramic SB12CACS25-4, main downside is 2kHz is pretty much the highest you can cross, not a problem if using the expensive 34mm BlieSMa tweeters that can go down to ~1500Hz, but not a good choice if pairing with a ribbon/AMT. And the woofer I saw that would pair nicely with that combo would be the SB SB23NRXS45-8 which can handle being crossed at ~300Hz (maybe even go dual force-cancelling side wall placement for extra sensitivity and max SPL).
Just some food for thought if Salk ever needs a new tower model ;)

Last edited:

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is measuring as I type this....

Based on the previous gen 308p measurements that @MZKM posted, as well as my own measurements of the current gen, I'm expecting controversy, but we shall see. When I purchased the 308p mkII, I also had the opportunity to purchase the previous gen model for slightly less. I went with the newer model based on the trust I have in JBL to improve their speakers over time. Really interested to see if that trust is warranted.

Putter

Forum Donor
Their limitations as full range drivers are pretty obvious from the Soundandvision measurements. Things get dicey above around 5 kHz, and this is readily audible. But between 500 Hz and 4.5 kHz, they're pretty much unmatched. For me as a speaker designer, the main issue is purely marketing. How do I convince people that a driver this inexpensive deserves to be part of a top-of-the-line monitor?

While I certainly understood it had frequency response errors, my point was because BMR drivers have great dispersion they should be amenable to Eq. My point was are there other issues such as excessive distortion or ringing that would prevent it from having an almost amplifier like flat response with good to excellent dispersion with electronic assistance?

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
I really want to see Amir review the Kohler (x Harman) Moxie speaker:
I'm sure it's a terrible speaker, but that's not the point. I just want to see pictures of Amir trying to set it up on his Klippel test rig ... :D

moxie_showerhead_speaker.png

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Xyrium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Agreed. I just wish they put an 8 incher in there...

Hifisound

relmu

I would love to read a review of a KRK rp5 or rp6, g2 or g3. Thank you

Weeb Labs

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I would love to see the Kanto TUKs reviewed. For such a well regarded speaker, there is a disappointing lack of available measurements.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just messaged Amir and am sending a YU and YU4 for review. Should see the reviews for it early in the new year.
I own the YU5, and while I assume the measurements won’t be perfect (expecting a midrange boost), I must say that for the price I got them at, I am very satisfied with the performance, and it gets louder than what I expected.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I figured my $400/pair of Audioengine A5's would be ideal for the this but when you said under $200/pair you weren't kidding when you said "budget" but I think Audioengine makes a couple of smaller speakers that are $200/pair. As well, Edifier, Dayton Audio, Monoprice and Swan/HIVI make a lot of low priced speakers
+1 for Audioengine and Kanto

Top Bottom