• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Deepfake Music

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Ugh... just when you think contemporary music couldn't get any worse or more contrived.

Robin L

Master Contributor
What makes it horrible is the sonic degradation. Eventually we'll hear "Sinatra" wreck "Baby Got Back", but for the moment, we're safe.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
What makes it horrible is the sonic degradation. Eventually we'll hear "Sinatra" wreck "Baby Got Back", but for the moment, we're safe.
Scoo-be-doo!
The Rat Pack could really swing with Baby Got Back.

1605060998135.png

OP
Wes

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
you KNOW those guys would get into it if they were here today.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
It's sonic diarrhea. Like gastro, you just want it flushed out of your system and into the sewer where it belongs.

digicidal

Major Contributor
It's sonic diarrhea. Like gastro, you just want it flushed out of your system and into the sewer where it belongs.

And thankfully for all of us... the same technology can be used to produce visual diarrhea as well (although I find it a bit more oddly appealing than the aural version).
tumblr_nqxmavoek01tsb2meo1_1280.jpg

No less disturbing however.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I honestly find it less objectionable than auto-tune, maybe because it's not quite got good enough yet to get into the uncanny valley, and it's not everywhere, but I really hate auto-tune, I'd much rather listen to someone who cannot sing, and I've got the records to prove it.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Mr. Cheese is way ahead of you:

I knew I remember it from somewhere.
In a similar mode [but actually "real", whatever that's supposed to mean these days]:

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The fake is nothing new. In the early '60s a NY based outfit, Pickwick Records, was famous for this sort of phony baloney. The Beatles were becoming popular, and not wanting to let an opportunity pass, the company hired some studio musicians to record a few Beatle-esque tunes, put some kids on the cover mimicking them, and sold them in the bargain bins.

beats.jpg

Robin L

Master Contributor

Sir Sanders Zingmore

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The scary thing is that not long from now these “deep fake” compositions will actually be indistinguishable from the real thing.

It’s already possible with photos of people. Try to pick the real people on this website:
http://thispersondoesnotexist.com/

(Hint: they are all fake)
We should all be very worried. The wider implications are enormous

Robin L

Master Contributor
... or -- perhaps (?!???) -- Pat Boone's album In a Metal Mood?

81QrWpJe8xL._SL1200_.jpg
Yeah, I remember when I worked at Borders and attempted to return the damned thing.

Top Bottom