• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Massdrop THX AAA 789 Amp

jahudi

Hi folks, sorry if this is a stupid question or if this is not the right topic (in which case I'd be happy to be redirected).

I own a THX 789 which is connected to my turntable via RCA (and to my DAC via XLR). Now, for serious listening I use my Aeon Flow Open headphones. But from time to time I would also like to listen to my vinyl records without headphones. I own a Libratone Zipp speaker which has a 3.5mm audio jack. Unfortunately I could not find any specs of this interface and also the Libratone support could not give me any information.

The Zipp has an internal amplifier and my guess is that depending on whether it is active or bypassed when connecting it via the 3.5mm jack it is supposed to be connected to a LINE level output (SE PASS in case of the THX) or could be connected directly to the (amplified) SE headphone output, right? Could it harm my THX or the Zipp if I just tried one or the other? Somewhere I read that in case the impedance of a connected device is too low it could basically hot-wire the SE output, is that right?

ZeDestructor

Hi folks, sorry if this is a stupid question or if this is not the right topic (in which case I'd be happy to be redirected).

I own a THX 789 which is connected to my turntable via RCA (and to my DAC via XLR). Now, for serious listening I use my Aeon Flow Open headphones. But from time to time I would also like to listen to my vinyl records without headphones. I own a Libratone Zipp speaker which has a 3.5mm audio jack. Unfortunately I could not find any specs of this interface and also the Libratone support could not give me any information.

The Zipp has an internal amplifier and my guess is that depending on whether it is active or bypassed when connecting it via the 3.5mm jack it is supposed to be connected to a LINE level output (SE PASS in case of the THX) or could be connected directly to the (amplified) SE headphone output, right? Could it harm my THX or the Zipp if I just tried one or the other? Somewhere I read that in case the impedance of a connected device is too low it could basically hot-wire the SE output, is that right?

Amplifiers generally have quite high input impedances (typically in the 10k-100k ohm range), so you should have no issue regardless of which output you use

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Not sure why you wouldnt just use the pass thru loop at the back? Why bother trying the headphone out? You're not wanting to listen to the DAC feed on the Zipp?

odyo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
@50 ohm SE: 1W, BAL: 3.5W i guess these are high gain numbers. How is low and mid gain ? Also where can i find information about power output and loudness relationship. THX 789 have -10/0/+10 db gains. What would happen if it had less power but same gain settings ?

ZeDestructor

Not sure why you wouldnt just use the pass thru loop at the back? Why bother trying the headphone out? You're not wanting to listen to the DAC feed on the Zipp?

Maybe they want volume control on it that it might not have? That's the obvious one to me.

jahudi

FYI: Both options work. Interestingly the speaker buffers about one second of audio data before playing it. This is noticeable when connecting it to the headphone out and using the amp volume control (it takes about a second to reflect the change). One other positive surprise is that it automatically streams the audio to all other Zipp speakers that are in a wireless group. So everything is as I wished :) Thanks

dleute

Given that the dac tool seems to be down, is there any other amp with more power and better ratings than this one anywhere near this price?

This looks like it can drive anything from low ohm headphones to high ohm, whatever. (My dx3 pro is already proving under powered, and I need to fix that)

gvl

Major Contributor
Topping A90, but watch out input impedance pairing.

Dana reed

Given that the dac tool seems to be down, is there any other amp with more power and better ratings than this one anywhere near this price?

This looks like it can drive anything from low ohm headphones to high ohm, whatever. (My dx3 pro is already proving under powered, and I need to fix that)
If you’re mainly talking balanced, the magnius is $100 cheaper and still puts out 5W into 32 Ohm.

Dana reed

Not balanced currently. Might be nice to have the option though.
If you’re not balanced, then you can save a bunch of money and get an atom or a heresy, and have more power than most headphones need

dleute

If you’re not balanced, then you can save a bunch of money and get an atom or a heresy, and have more power than most headphones need

Going to go look at the pages for them. I am a big fan of buying once. dx3 pro was supposed to be that once, but it's looking like I may need something bigger. Some planars I am looking at supposedly work on the dx3 pro but really shine with more power.

Pillars

I'd still stick to the 789, used it can be had pretty decently priced. If you want shoot me a PM I've got a great condition one and an SU-8 I could part with.

dleute

I'd still stick to the 789, used it can be had pretty decently priced. If you want shoot me a PM I've got a great condition one and an SU-8 I could part with.
Thanks. I am purchasing new due to return policies.

I just realized the dx3 pro I have is 10 ohm output resistance. Not the measured 1 ohm from v1. So it is going back since I primarily drive low ohm headphones so far.

I actually might keep it as the DAC. Depending on what replaces it for amp.

Svperstar

SMSL SP200 is also THX and only measures slightly worse then the 789 and I believe it has slightly more power; its also cheaper.

Subjective reviews say the 789 "sounds better" then the SP200. I can't verify that either way.

dleute

SMSL SP200 is also THX and only measures slightly worse then the 789 and I believe it has slightly more power; its also cheaper.

Subjective reviews say the 789 "sounds better" then the SP200. I can't verify that either way.

Yep. The price difference isn't enough to matter to me (at least not at amazon prices currently). But, if all I am going to end up doing in a month is buying an a90 because headphone y needs it, I'd rather just do that now. Even if it means keeping the dx3 pro as dac.

Just trying to make sure there are no headphones that the 789 can't drive well on my radar.

dreadknot

Forum Donor

id go with the schiit magnius

id its great near same power at each ohm plus some more ohm options

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...he-schiit-magnius-sub-500-balanced-amp.15778/

Top Bottom