• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New JBL 4349 Speakers

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Some frequency response and harmonic distortion measurements:

1604570990665.png

1604571003464.png

Source: https://www.hifitest.de/test/lautsprecher_stereo/jbl-4349_20054

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

GimeDsp

Tough crowd. LOL
HAHAHA. LOOK good to me.
Being in pro audio field for a long time I have heard a LOT of horn speakers. JBL does wave guides really well in the consumer/studio field, not so much IMO for their large line arrays, Meyer has them beat for that IMO.
That being said JBL does waveguides the best IMO.

Last edited:

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Tough crowd. LOL

Compared to most, I'll admit that they're good. But for JBL, I'm not impressed.

These are considerably more expensive than the HDIs, and the HDI measurements look better(to my eye). They're also less attractive than the HDIs, so I would expect more performance to compensate for that. I guess these probably have better dynamics, which is important.

okok

as good as 4367? cos 4367 also only two-way and I talked to Greg he said 4367 was his done deal before retiring

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

fredoamigo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
as good as 4367? cos 4367 also only two-way and I talked to Greg he said 4367 was his done deal before retiring

Greg said that too ;)

Greg Timbers:

"The design goal of the 4367 was to equal or surpass the performance of the 4365 in a smaller enclosure and for 1/3 less money! Done and Done. The system will thrive on LF EQ. There is plenty of headroom in the woofer so 4 - 6 dB of boost around 32 Hz will really spice up the mix.

The 4367 is a good system for those who like the large Monitor format. It measures well, sounds detailed and musical but is lean in the bottom octave as are all of the post 1985 or so "Japan" product. The speed and excess excursion capacity of these systems makes them good candidates for EQ, or for the proper use of a subwoofer, say below 40 Hz. They do have a "live music" sound that is most difficult to achieve purely with direct radiators. If you are looking for an Audiophile loudspeaker with 3-dimensional imaging, a warm mellow midrange and no dynamics at all, look elsewhere. Without using the words Distilled Water you might look at another Harman brand if you are seeking elegant, luscious elevator music."
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/315625-wave-biradial-horn-13.html

GimeDsp

:) They did arrive....
That is a big woofer for a 2 way. It will be interesting to see how the woofer beaming, X-over, and waveguide have all been integrated.

Listed X-over is
"Crossover Frequency 1.5 kHz"

BTW some of my least favorite sounding HiFi speakers have the best looking vertical and horizontal directivity while my fav speakers may have some "issues".

Last edited:

Valentin R

Greg said that too ;)

Greg Timbers:

"The design goal of the 4367 was to equal or surpass the performance of the 4365 in a smaller enclosure and for 1/3 less money! Done and Done. The system will thrive on LF EQ. There is plenty of headroom in the woofer so 4 - 6 dB of boost around 32 Hz will really spice up the mix.

The 4367 is a good system for those who like the large Monitor format. It measures well, sounds detailed and musical but is lean in the bottom octave as are all of the post 1985 or so "Japan" product. The speed and excess excursion capacity of these systems makes them good candidates for EQ, or for the proper use of a subwoofer, say below 40 Hz. They do have a "live music" sound that is most difficult to achieve purely with direct radiators. If you are looking for an Audiophile loudspeaker with 3-dimensional imaging, a warm mellow midrange and no dynamics at all, look elsewhere. Without using the words Distilled Water you might look at another Harman brand if you are seeking elegant, luscious elevator music."
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/315625-wave-biradial-horn-13.html

Greg was out of HARMAN before finishing the 4367
The final process was in hands of Chris Hagen

Valentin R

I have not taken them out of the box but they sure feel chunky and heavy.
Can’t wait to read your report
I really like the simplicity of concept for a 2 way full range
But technicality it’s not that simple and yes that 1.5k xo point is of interest
It seems high but I am sure it was done for a good reason sound wise. Chris Hagen is a great engineer
And from the fotos of xo I can deduct that at least 5 revision where made.
Hope too receive our pair this year

Duke

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
that 1.5k xo point is of interest

My guess is that good off-axis response is a priority of the design, which implies pattern-matching in the crossover region. So my guess is that 1.5 kHz is where the woofer's pattern has narrowed to match that of the horn.

Now the horn's pattern is probably somewhat asymmetrical, wider in the horizontal plane than in the vertical plane, so the designer must choose whether to pattern-match in the horizontal plane, or to pattern-match based on an average (or a weighted average) of the horizontal and vertical patterns.

And eyeballing that JBL horn, my guess is that the pattern along the diagonals will be different from the pattern in the horizontal and vertical planes.

Anyway JBL has a bunch of really smart guys who know how to juggle tradeoffs that I don't even know exist, and who also know how to make a 12" woofer that performs well as high up as needed.

Top Bottom