• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review: Apple vs Google USB-C Headphone Adapters

threni

Major Contributor
same experience with meizu pro dac, uapp has low volume and only 20 steps volume (and exponential so unusable)

Have you tried increasing the number of steps? settings/volume/volume steps. 20 is the default but it goes up to 250.

threni

Major Contributor
A little note for anyone with a EU Apple usb dongle: i just got one to play with on a Pi and whilst it was very quiet on my pixel 4a there's no problem using alsamixer on linux to increase the gain from whatever it was to 0. On my device (pi model 3 b) it was card two so I just got up a command prompt and did:

alsamixer -c 2

then cursor up to 0, then escape, and it saves it (surviving reboots).

Another way of doing this without the need for a UI (if you can call it that), is:

amixer -c 2 sset Headphone 120

Probably you can do the equivalent on rooted Android phones. I play music using VLC and it all sounds great to me (no pops or glitches so far). It's plenty loud enough for me with my 50 ohm (? think so) Sennheiser HD 595 and 150 ohm Sennheiser HD 660S headphones.

Last edited:

bobbooo

Major Contributor
A little note for anyone with a EU Apple usb dongle: i just got one to play with on a Pi and whilst it was very quiet on my pixel 4a there's no problem using alsamixer on linux to increase to gain from whatever it was to 0. On my device (pi model 3 b) it was card two so I just got up a command prompt and did:

alsamixer -c 2

then cursor up to 0, then escape, and it saves it (surviving reboots). Probably you can do the equivalent on rooted Android phones. I play music using VLC and it all sounds great to me (no pops or glitches so far). It's plenty loud enough for me with my 50 ohm (? think so) Sennheiser HD 595 and 150 ohm Sennheiser HD 660S headphones.

What's the max output voltage after increasing the gain in this way?

threni

Major Contributor
What's the max output voltage after increasing the gain in this way?

Sadly I'm a software guy so I have no way of doing this. I just found a voltmeter but I can't find one of the leads for it. Assuming I sort that, how would I perform the test? Do I need a .wav file of a specific waveform, and then play it back at 100% volume, and check the voltage at the headphone socket?

bobbooo

Major Contributor
Sadly I'm a software guy so I have no way of doing this. I just found a voltmeter but I can't find one of the leads for it. Assuming I sort that, how would I perform the test? Do I need a .wav file of a specific waveform, and then play it back at 100% volume, and check the voltage at the headphone socket?

Yes, you can generate and download the .wav file on this page. Choose these parameters: frequency 60Hz, level 0dBFS, duration 10s, sample rate 44.1kHz. Generate and download the file then play it at max volume in a bit-perfect player with all EQ and DSP off, and measure the output voltage with your multimeter set to AC voltage - you can plug a (not too long) 3.5mm male to male cable into the dongle to make this easier (its minimal resistance shouldn't significantly affect the reading).

Lucco

Could anyone tell me if the "USB-C to 3.5 mm Headphone Jack Adapter" currently sold by apple, works well on a Samsung Galaxy S20?

It will be used as follows: S20> Spotify> Dongle> KZ KZX

If it is necessary to adapt or download an additional app or software, I will buy another dongle.

Veri

Master Contributor
It will be used as follows: S20> Spotify> Dongle> KZ KZX
If it is necessary to adapt or download an additional app or software, I will buy another dongle.
The apple dongle has lower volume without using special audio apps, on most android headphones. Better to go for a meizu/sonata HD/E1DA 9038d/...

Lucco

The apple dongle has lower volume without using special audio apps, on most android headphones. Better to go for a meizu/sonata HD/E1DA 9038d/...
Thanks for the answer.

This dongle I intend to buy is for my girlfriend who doesn't care about HiFI systems (hahaha). I need something really small and cheap, so I ruled out the Tempotec Sonata HD solution.

I read the review on the Meizu HiFi and the Meizu HiFi Pro and, obviously, I liked the PRO version better, but since it is a gift for someone who doesn't know much about SQ, I wouldn't want to spend so much money on the PRO version.

Do you think that the Meizu HiFi (standard) would give me a reasonable result on this case (S20> Spotify> Dongle> KZ KZX) ?

Sinquito

Thanks for the answer.

This dongle I intend to buy is for my girlfriend who doesn't care about HiFI systems (hahaha). I need something really small and cheap, so I ruled out the Tempotec Sonata HD solution.

I read the review on the Meizu HiFi and the Meizu HiFi Pro and, obviously, I liked the PRO version better, but since it is a gift for someone who doesn't know much about SQ, I wouldn't want to spend so much money on the PRO version.

Do you think that the Meizu HiFi (standard) would give me a reasonable result on this case (S20> Spotify> Dongle> KZ KZX) ?
I have a S20+, the apple dongle is really good. Without USBAPP is on the low side of volume, but I don't think the KZ iems are that demanding, specially if your girlfriend is a quiet listener. For 9 bucks you can't go wrong. Don't get the Samsung one, is horrible based on my personal experience both on the phone and pc.

Lucco

I have a S20+, the apple dongle is really good. Without USBAPP is on the low side of volume, but I don't think the KZ iems are that demanding, specially if your girlfriend is a quiet listener. For 9 bucks you can't go wrong. Don't get the Samsung one, is horrible based on my personal experience both on the phone and pc.
Thank you my friend.

I will try to go to an Iplace to do a "real test" =]

The USBAPP you mentioned, is the USB Audio Player PRO, right?

Last edited:

bobbooo

Major Contributor
Thank you my friend.

You can also use Neutron Player to get the max volume from the Apple dongle, which comes with a built-in, high-quality parametric equalizer among a plethora of other features.

Last edited:

Sinquito

Thank you my friend.

Yes that's correct, I think it's 7 bucks, tbe beauty of that app is that the volume trick works on other apps if you exit USBAPP.

salih

im finding in my country this version MU7E2ZM/A writing on google finds uk version so gessing its 0.5vrms,will it be enought for coolermaster mh751(a takstar pro 82 rebrand) with sensitivity 97dB and 26oms impediance,will be using on windows 10 also will buu adapter to connect to pc?
Hi, I know this was over a year ago but I have this exact combo and my google search led me here. I've just tested the 0.5vrms output adapter (MU7E2ZM/A) and it just barely drives the MH751 at an acceptable level. I have everything cranked to 100 and have no issues. I'm no audiophile though, and only bought this because of the EMI noise in in microphone when plugged into my motherboard. Hope this helps.

Metalear

I apologize if this is a dumb question, but would one of these work through a USB->USB-C adapter on a Windows PC? Or does it require plugging in directly to a USB-C port on the motherboard?

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
It should work ok with an adapter on Win10. But I have never been able to get it working on Win7.

Metalear

It should work ok with an adapter on Win10. But I have never been able to get it working on Win7.
Thanks, I actually have a USB-C port on my PC, but I'm already using it. The only other option would be a USB-C hub, but I think there's much more risk of additional interference that way.

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
Thanks, I actually have a USB-C port on my PC, but I'm already using it. The only other option would be a USB-C hub, but I think there's much more risk of additional interference that way.
If you have USB-A ports, you can use a USB-C female to USB-A male adapter. This is what @Cahudson42 was talking about.

81iL6YG4ikL._AC_SY355_.jpg

samwell7

I registered to say thanks for this forum and this thread, I sold (nearly) all my headphones including my o2 and ODAC years ago when I moved and no longer had time to use them because of work.

I'm currently listening to my Sony MDR-7520s with the A2049 Apple USB C to 3.5mm (bought in Officeworks in Australia sometime in 2019) from my Pixel 4 and just really enjoying going through my old headphone test tracks.

I've purchased a USB A to C adaptor so I can use this is a DAC in my working from home setup.

Thanks again!

Top Bottom