• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Matrix Audio Element X & NAS

• Thread starter Deleted member 20875
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 20875

Does anyone have a walk-through on how to connect Element X to NAS (or any other in-house streaming services)? I am running MinimServer from Synology for other devices at home.

thanks

OP
D

Deleted member 20875

Strange, while I was searching for how to connect MinimServer running from Synology DS120j to Element X something connected itself. Suddenly I see titles in the list, and they play, but every album is completely out of order. It's like there is no metadata of any kind to it. Even in Synology file browser songs in the albums are in correct order but when streaming to Element X - how can that be, and can it be fixed?

Edit: Now all the titles are sorted properly (looks like it was just scanning), but I still do not know what it is streaming from. Not from Media Server, not from MinimServer, not from Music Server (those are all pre-installed apps on Synology), not from NFS of any kind as it is turned off, but then from what?

And again, after 12 hours not everything is synced. Is there any way of knowing what it does (sync) - log, configuration, trace?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
D

Deleted member 20875

So it is SMB (sif) that Element X is accessing NAS through. Turned off SMB service and no music. And as with the USB hard-drive that I wrote earlier about there appears to be unannounced limitation on how many titles can be scanned and made visible/accessible in a single mount. On this thread,
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-x-does-not-read-the-entire-hard-drive.16716/

Now I will try to split the NAS directories into separate mounts, if it even makes any sense at all, but what other options are there!?

There appears to be no available option to simply read in contents from the music servers like MinimServer, Media Server, Emby Server, or whatever else could one run from NAS. Volumio Primo sees them all, Matrix does not.

Anyone has does it differently?

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
i have successfully connected both element units and use jriver to access/play my 12Tb nas (synology).
It couldnt be easier for me as both elements show up in jriver as players. Just need to select what to play on which device.

OP
D

Deleted member 20875

i have successfully connected both element units and use jriver to access/play my 12Tb nas (synology).
It couldnt be easier for me as both elements show up in jriver as players. Just need to select what to play on which device.

You installed Jriver on Synology? And you control the playback from the NAS of from the steamer? I would be interested to know how you did this, is there possibility you could share?

Archsam

I access my NAS via the MA remote app to my Element X. The NAS is found under 'Files' and once the database is scanned all my music are there in their proper order. Only slight issues are with album cover art - sometimes they don't load up properly when playing a file, but the music playback is generally smooth

OP
D

Deleted member 20875

I access my NAS via the MA remote app to my Element X. The NAS is found under 'Files' and once the database is scanned all my music are there in their proper order. Only slight issues are with album cover art - sometimes they don't load up properly when playing a file, but the music playback is generally smooth

You access it as SMB mount? Because I think this is the only way to see it, or are there any other hidden alternatives?

Archsam

You access it as SMB mount? Because I think this is the only way to see it, or are there any other hidden alternatives?

Yep via SMB mount

Archsam

And there is no limit in how many titles the streamer can read in? I wonder why mine stops in the middle.

A trick I found is during scanning I have to make sure my phone does not go to sleep - I basically swipe my phone's screen every 5 seconds during the scan to keep the phone awake.

I have a big music collection - over 900Gb including a lot of DSF files. When I rescan I never have problems with missing files / folders as long as I keep the phone awake.

OP
D

Deleted member 20875

A trick I found is during scanning I have to make sure my phone does not go to sleep - I basically swipe my phone's screen every 5 seconds during the scan to keep the phone awake.

I have a big music collection - over 900Gb including a lot of DSF files. When I rescan I never have problems with missing files / folders as long as I keep the phone awake.
Interesting, I will try this. I thank you.

Edit; Set the screen never to time out, always on. Cleaned the SMB cache, ran the scan and it stopped at the same place. Well more or less. So there is some sort of a limit on the number of items that can be read in.

Last edited by a moderator:

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You installed Jriver on Synology? And you control the playback from the NAS of from the steamer? I would be interested to know how you did this, is there possibility you could share?
sorry for the lack of clarity. I have jriver installed on computers and tablets throughout the house and can access all my music files from any location and play across any system (I have 3).

OP
D

Deleted member 20875

sorry for the lack of clarity. I have jriver installed on computers and tablets throughout the house and can access all my music files from any location and play across any system (I have 3).

Ah, so you stream from JRiver, It reads from NAS and streams to Matrix. Got it.

JRiver on tablets, Androids?

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ah, so you stream from JRiver, It reads from NAS and streams to Matrix. Got it.

JRiver on tablets, Androids?
yes, windows, ios (i think but dont know for sure since i dont have one) & android

MatrixAudio

Audio Company
Hi aigo
Didn't you use the MA app and add the music folder from Synology to the MA app?
If the folder sharing protocol is SMB v1 or v2, you can add the folder to MA app in Library-Files-Add SMB sharing folders, only folder path, username and password needed.

OP
D

Deleted member 20875

Hi aigo
Didn't you use the MA app and add the music folder from Synology to the MA app?
If the folder sharing protocol is SMB v1 or v2, you can add the folder to MA app in Library-Files-Add SMB sharing folders, only folder path, username and password needed.

Thank you for stopping by,
I did manage to add NAS to MA app, but it does not scan the entire content in one go. Same as with the external hard-drive, although I no longer use it; it scans about a fraction of the total content, then I need to rescan to add more, then rescan again to add more, and so on. It appears each time it starts from the beginning and if I add new titles to the NAS I will wait forever for those to be added. So I simply do not use it. I stream through HiFi Cast, and that appears to work fine, more or less Ok. MA app is very slow, especially the latest version, it can not be used as is.

Top Bottom