• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What is causing a "pop" through my speakers?

Sparky

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi all.

I have a question I'm hoping can be answered that is causing me some frustration.

Every single time I change source on my Anthem STR preamp, just before audio is about to be played, I get a very loud "pop" through both my speakers.

So, say I'm watching TV then decide to listen to a bit of music, I'll use my harmony remote to change source to my ROON core (Innuos Zen Mini mk3).

I select a track to play and, just before the music plays, the "pop" will then occur. It happens every time.
Happens before the start of a film too sometimes.

Any ideas guys?

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Only happens once each time you switch source and only after switching source, or both after source change and after going from one recording to another with the same input selection?

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
It only ever seems to happen the one time after switching sources. It's a really loud pop through the speakers. I'm just worried about damaging the drivers that's all...

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
Doesn't happen until you hit play either. Like there's a couple of second delay, a big pop, then audio will play.

Zek

Major Contributor
It seems that preamp has some DC offset on the output, which shouldn't be there.

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
Hmmm. I'll have to look into that then as I'm not familiar with DC offset?
It happens when I pause live TV (using the analogue input from the Oppo 203) too, just after I've paused it, it'll give a little pop but nothing like the pop I get from the USB input for music. That one is always a big one....

I've tried using the internal settings of ROON to delay the audio signal but it doesn't seem to have any effect.

Bob-23

When switching-on an audio chain you should always switch-on 'first things first': first the preamp, then the amp; when switching-off: the other way 'round.

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
When switching-on an audio chain you should always switch-on 'first things first': first the preamp, then the amp; when switching-off: the other way 'round.

I've literally just read that on an audio website....

I get that but I'm talking about just simply changing inputs. Surely I shouldn't have to switch my amps off then on again to defeat the excess DC current?

Haflermichi

You should not have to do a full power down/up the entire system simply to change sources. Something is wrong.
This is just speculation but if you can find a schematic see if there are signal sensing relays in the path.
Try having your second source already playing then switch to that input. Does the pop occur the instant you switch?
Is this a new problem?
Does the pop come out of both speakers?
Could be a combination of DC offset and a sticky relay...

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
You should not have to do a full power down/up the entire system simply to change sources. Something is wrong.
This is just speculation but if you can find a schematic see if there are signal sensing relays in the path.
Try having your second source already playing then switch to that input. Does the pop occur the instant you switch?
Is this a new problem?
Does the pop come out of both speakers?
Could be a combination of DC offset and a sticky relay...

Hi.

It's an Anthem STR preamp with an Innuos zen mini mk3 as a source and ROON core.
Just tried having the source already playing and it doesn't do it.
I tried switching the Innuos off then on again, cleared the song queue and started a new song, it then does it.

It must be the Innuos. I'm using a linear PSU for it which you can buy separately. I wonder if that is causing the issue as its a toroidal transformer.
Lots of stored energy.

Haflermichi

But you said it also happens before the start of a movie yes?
I'm assuming your "TV" sound is a physically separate input to the preamp?

You need to determine if it's a source or the preamp causing the pop.
It's very unlikely that multiple sources could cause this.

If the exact same pop is occurring with the TV and the Innuos on different inputs to the preamp my bet is it's the preamp.
The type of power supplies should not matter.

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
But you said it also happens before the start of a movie yes?
I'm assuming your "TV" sound is a physically separate input to the preamp?

You need to determine if it's a source or the preamp causing the pop.
It's very unlikely that multiple sources could cause this.

If the exact same pop is occurring with the TV and the Innuos on different inputs to the preamp my bet is it's the preamp.
The type of power supplies should not matter.

Yeah, it does happen on occasion. Not all the time though. Its a strange one eh..... I'll make notes of when it happens so I can try to nail the problem specifically.

Ultimately, my main concern is speaker damage. Can this damage my speakers at all?? :(

Haflermichi

If you can swap in a different preamplifier and switch between your various sources you would have your answer.
Speaker damage is more likely from an amplifier generating a large DC offset component.
Depending on low loud this "pop" is is subjective. If it's painfully loud then yes.
If it's low and a mere annoyance then well...you takes your chances.

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
If you can swap in a different preamplifier and switch between your various sources you would have your answer.
Speaker damage is more likely from an amplifier generating a large DC offset component.
Depending on low loud this "pop" is is subjective. If it's painfully loud then yes.
If it's low and a mere annoyance then well...you takes your chances.

My friend has loaned my RME ADI2 DAC but as soon as I get it back, I'll place it into the system to see if the "pop" still exists.... I kinda hope it does as I don't want to have to consider sending my STR off for repair... :(

london_r

Would be interested in whether you reached an answer to this. I also have an Innuos Zen Mini Mk III + LPSU and was experiencing a similar issue/symptoms (in my case have a Chord Qutest in between the Zen Mini and a Trigon Exxceed).

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
Would be interested in whether you reached an answer to this. I also have an Innuos Zen Mini Mk III + LPSU and was experiencing a similar issue/symptoms (in my case have a Chord Qutest in between the Zen Mini and a Trigon Exxceed).

Hi. I never did get to the bottom of it no.

I think it is something to do with the settings on each device which cause some sort of audio issue.
The Innuos, Anthem STR and ROON all have their own settings for audio playback and I think one or more of the devices is set to the incorrect audio output setting which, in turn, is causing the pop noise.
I've been too busy with work to look into to it though I'm afraid.

london_r

Hi. I never did get to the bottom of it no.

I think it is something to do with the settings on each device which cause some sort of audio issue.
The Innuos, Anthem STR and ROON all have their own settings for audio playback and I think one or more of the devices is set to the incorrect audio output setting which, in turn, is causing the pop noise.
I've been too busy with work to look into to it though I'm afraid.

Sorry to hear you had no luck with this either.

What I do know is that I have switched out the Trigon Exxceed for both a Primare i22 and an i35 and have never had the issue reoccur. With this in mind, I put it down to the Trigon Exxceed having an issue. What prompted my question was the coincidence that we both had the same symptoms and the same source.

If you do happen to ever figure it out, would be great if you can post - I will do likewise if I get to the bottom of it too.

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
Sorry to hear you had no luck with this either.

What I do know is that I have switched out the Trigon Exxceed for both a Primare i22 and an i35 and have never had the issue reoccur. With this in mind, I put it down to the Trigon Exxceed having an issue. What prompted my question was the coincidence that we both had the same symptoms and the same source.

If you do happen to ever figure it out, would be great if you can post - I will do likewise if I get to the bottom of it too.

I certainly will my friend. Thanks for taking the time to post! :)

Top Bottom