• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How Much Music Do You Have?

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
a few ultra hirez dsd256 or DXD Mch files.

Except for a few recordings I have that only exist in high rez, I pretty much stopped collecting high def audio once I realized I can't reliably pass an ABX test between RBCD lossless and high resolution.

Switching to RBCD losless probably cut my data consumption 8x.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
Kal, "almost all of it" sounds quite impressive.
How many years do you have left, and after you're gone where does the music go? Plus all the ones you didn't have the time and chance to listen to.
___

If we use some music as our reference to assess and compare, what we have listened to so far; is it fair to say that it is a very limited restriction in comparison to what's coming up and in eclipsing some older music recordings? Or is it unfair?

Dad used to say; "The best is yet to come." ...Recently we just received a new shot in the arm...MQA. This to go along with new music, and old one too for a new resurrection. Good for the cash flow.

I cannot escape the thought of comparisons between LP and CD and SACD (DSD), 2K and 4K, 2D and 3D, DVD and Blu-ray, LED and Plasma and OLED and QLED TVs, ICE cars and EV cars, credit cards and Bitcoins, analog and digital, mono and stereo and multichannel, ...all that it was before and all that it will be after.

Just some quick flashes like that crossing the sky above the walls.

Last edited:
OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
If we listen to say 10 hours of music everyday, in one year that would be 3,650 hours. One hour say is one album. And assuming we do that for the remaining of what's left of our life on earth, say for the average people here @ ASR, another 30 years non-stop, starting today now...that would be 109,500 music albums...audio files, all that jazz.

Now, let's round this to say 100,000 and never listening to the same music album, audio file twice. And, for simplicity sake let's say 10 tunes per album, some have only two long tunes, others have two dozens. That's 1 million tunes.

Now, some people spend more time than this in music listening, others much less, some are serious, others are background music listeners, some listen to the same album twice, or even thrice (I listened to Wish you were Here seventeen times).

From this average scientific data, reslistically speaking, life expectancy on a high positive note full of hope and best wishes, how much music do you need till expiring date?

Okay, you just convinced me to start deleting stuff...

Wombat

Master Contributor
Digital downloading and streaming is great. The price of used CDs has plummeted and after a short period after release so do most new ones as a result of its success.

I like perusing the CD spines, as I do with LPs, to choose one. Storage space is an issue but I prefer hard-copy to digital storage.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The price of used CDs has plummeted and after a short period after release so do most new ones as a result of its success.
Used CDs is a great source of music. I switched to it on Amazon and all but a couple of were excellent. Of course I would only buy the "Near New" or whatever that status is. $4.99 including shipping.

I bought lower grade ones a few times when that was all that was available and let's say I needed to wear latex gloves to touch the jewel case on some of them. :)

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I'm not sure I could even play a CD these days even if I wanted to.

I'm not sure where my USB CD ROM drive is and I don't own any optical disk players of any kind any more...

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
From this average scientific data, reslistically speaking, life expectancy on a high positive note full of hope and best wishes, how much music do you need till expiring date?
Obviously, much less than I already have but the issue is that I cannot predict which of the many files I will want to hear in advance.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Kal, "almost all of it" sounds quite impressive.
How many years do you have left, and after you're gone where does the music go? Plus all the ones you didn't have the time and chance to listen to.
I do not know how many years I have left but, even at 76 and in excellent health, I cannot listen to everything I have and yet I keep adding to the collection. What drives me is that, in addition to enjoying my favorites, I discover new thrills in my own collection on a regular basis. My collection will go to my son-in-law with whom I share many interests (aside from my daughter and grandchildren).

Wombat

Master Contributor
Used CDs is a great source of music. I switched to it on Amazon and all but a couple of were excellent. Of course I would only buy the "Near New" or whatever that status is. $4.99 including shipping.

I bought lower grade ones a few times when that was all that was available and let's say I needed to wear latex gloves to touch the jewel case on some of them. :)

My experience with Ebay has been most satisfactory with sellers generally being conservative with condition description. I have never had to claim a refund.

Amazon's postal rates to Australia are too high. I recently ordered 2 new copies of the Eva Cassidy Nightbird album(2CDs+DVD) from a UK Ebay store for $AU7 ea. plus combined postage($AU7) to Australia. This album sells here f0r around $38 RRP and $29 at some bigger stores - for one copy.

Multiply $AU by 0.77 to convert to $US.

Last edited:

Wombat

Master Contributor
It has been some time since I purchased from Amazon. I remember getting some CDs and DVDs but they were from Amazon sellers who may not have worried about shipping policy. I can say there were times when manufacturer restrictions re global territories prevented me from purchasing items. There were work-arounds but manufacturers warranties were not valid and were replaced with questionable back-to-source ones.
Since then there has been Amazon International and very recently, Amazon Australia. I can't comment on them.

One thing I did find is that Fuji cameras are covered by international warranty. They don't broadcast this so as to favour sales outlets in individual markets. This works well for professional photographers who travel overseas. It is good for me as it means I can purchase Fuji stuff from the big on-line Hong Kong dealers.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
I do not know how many years I have left but, even at 76 and in excellent health, I cannot listen to everything I have and yet I keep adding to the collection. What drives me is that, in addition to enjoying my favorites, I discover new thrills in my own collection on a regular basis. My collection will go to my son-in-law with whom I share many interests (aside from my daughter and grandchildren).

Very good, all the way.

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
Except for a few recordings I have that only exist in high rez, I pretty much stopped collecting high def audio once I realized I can't reliably pass an ABX test between RBCD lossless and high resolution.

Switching to RBCD losless probably cut my data consumption 8x.
I would not swear that there is a verifiable audible advantage to hirez over RBCD on material sourced from analog or RBCD native recordings. But, like Kal, I am smitten by Mch recordings. And, those are all released in hirez. Hence, his and my own explosion of disc storage space requirements. No big deal, though. Hard drive storage is cheap and getting cheaper.

Top Bottom