• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How Much Music Do You Have?

Wombat

Master Contributor
CDs 35 ft., 600?

LPs 9 ft., 600?

Music DVDs 1o ft, 200?

I haven't repeat purchased so I guess it is safe to buy more but rationally, at my age, I should be listening more to what I already have.

Which ones do I listen to? Depends on mood but I bet a normal-distribution-curve is involved.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Iv only got about 600-800 cd’s (never counted) though really music is unlimited these days and ownership totally unnecessary.
Another question, how many (much) do you actually listen to? I tend to gravitate to the same 50 or so albums .

I've got around 800 CD rips and 400 LP rips on the computer but the growth has started to stall out since the advent of streaming. I can listen to anything I could ever want to listen to on Spotify, now only rarely buying that which I want to own in CD or HiRez downloads for the quality. There really isn't much of anything in new music I find myself interested in but that's fine, there's like 70+ years of recordings of music that I love available , more than a lifetimes worth to for me. I also find myself falling back to regularly visiting only a small percentage of that number.
OTOH, I have about 22Tb of lossless files (FLAC/DSD/DXD) now and loading more.
I get that the multi channel, etc stuff can eat a lot of data, but how many actual albums to you estimate that is? I can't image ever having enough time to listen to some of these huge collections I hear of.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I've got around 800 CD rips and 400 LP rips on the computer but the growth has started to stall out since the advent of streaming. I can listen to anything I could ever want to listen to on Spotify, now only rarely buying that which I want to own in CD or HiRez downloads for the quality. There really isn't much of anything in new music I find myself interested in but that's fine, there's like 70+ years of recordings of music that I love available , more than a lifetimes worth to for me. I also find myself falling back to regularly visiting only a small percentage of that number.

I get that the multi channel, etc stuff can eat a lot of data, but how many actual albums to you estimate that is? I can't image ever having enough time to listen to some of these huge collections I hear of.
Must be the manual worker in both of us :D

I listen to a random selection of tracks on my earbuds at work ( got about 3000 tracks on my amazon account) if I streamed at home I’d imagine my consumption dynamic would change but I want to listen to what I fancy and that tends to be one of fifty or so recordings in the main.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Roon With Tidal therefore relatively unlimited I suppose, but this is whats on the NAS, about 1 Tb. I have bought very little since getting Roon+ Tidal.

I discover and listen to much more new music these days due to Tidal. Roon Radio feature which goes on to play stuff from your library is great, rediscovering things I haven't listened to for a long time, or indeed just "collected" and never listened to!

upload_2017-11-12_17-19-11.png

Last edited:

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
Btres uyo ng
I am down to about 100 LPs having sold all the rest.
OTOH, I have about 22Tb of lossless files (FLAC/DSD/DXD) now and loading more.
I only stream for research to guide my purchases.

How much music is 22 Terabytes?

Wombat

Master Contributor
There is a difference between listening and just having it playing. Both are valid pastimes.

Last edited:
OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
My NAS folder has other bits in it so I asked Windows to tally it up and it is still counting. Will report on that when it is finished. For now, this is what Roon says I have in my library:

View attachment 9530

The year added means when I handed the library to Roon, not when I purchased the music of course (which for CDs, dates back to 1983 or so). As you can see from "Years" graph, I stopped buying music over a year ago as I have just about everything I need on Tidal streaming service.

Oh, the scan just finished. Unless I have forgotten some library to include in the count, it says I have about 800 Gigabytes in my music folders.

So all in all, I am not a big collector.

P.S. We threw out our library of LPs back in 1980s. I have a couple now but that's it. I also have a few Reel to Reel tapes.

Is that view from within Roon? If so, where is it hidden....I've never seen it.

EDIT: NVM, found it.

Watchnerd: now you see how ill advised it was for you and I to post about our tiny libraries. :D

Roon says I have 3320 albums, plus 400 or so LPs, so, yeah.....<4,000 albums...

screen-capture.png

Last edited:

blackmetalboon

iTunes is telling me I have 1073 albums on my computer, probably still got another 200 CD’s still to rip.

Rodney Gold

Roon With Tidal therefore relatively unlimited I suppose, but this is whats on the NAS, about 1 Tb. I have bought very little since getting Roon+ Tidal.

I discover and listen to much more new music these days due to Tidal. Tidal Radio feature which goes on to play stuff from your library is great, rediscovering things I haven't listened to for a long time, or indeed just "collected" and never listened to!

Exactly mirrors my experience .. roon and tidal is amazing .. got about 5000 cd rips and have the physical media stored..
Tidal full monty is $10 a month over here in south africa .. im a roonlifer...a paltry sum for what it offers.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

I have about 3000 CDs ... About 3000 LPs and ...
I discovered streaming .. using now , Tidal and Spotify. I used to buy at least 10~15 CD a month ... perhaps bought 10 CD all of this year.
Roon + Tidal are god send to the Music Lovers

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Hi

I have about 3000 CDs ... About 3000 LPs and ...
I discovered streaming .. using now , Tidal and Spotify. I used to buy at least 10~15 CD a month ... perhaps bought 10 CD all of this year.
Roon + Tidal are god send to the Music Lovers

Dang, that's like >$100k in physical media investment...

NorthSky

Major Contributor
That's a valid aspect; we might have 5,000 CDs and 7,000 LPs or we might have 3,000 cassette tapes and 9,000 music albums (hi res audio files) and one might have spent $200,000 and someone else $20,000

It's all very relative what we have, what we listen to, the quantity, the quality, the quantitative singularity in proportion to music.

It's fun nonetheless. ...Between physical and computer content.
Today we can have it all but it just don't matter much because what we don't have and what counts is that we don't have much time.

It's not what we have and how much, it's who we are and the time it takes.

I have the radio, few thousands LPs, few thousands more CDs, and other physical music mediums on tapes, SACDs, DVDs, Blu-rays.

Right now I'm listening to classical music, orchestral. Guess the source, the number of speakers playing, and my state of euphoria in the now?
See, it's all very relative; we are only as much deeply transported as we are inside each one of us, emotionally moved in space and in time. Nothing else matters, only the now with the music playing.

It's not what we have and how much, it's who we listen to and how penetrable.

Bonus, for fun only:

Extra, music storage:

Last edited:

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
My only relevant libraries in actual use are those on my NAS. These include hirez SACD rips, BD-A and BD-V, and a few ultra hirez dsd256 or DXD Mch files.

The SACD rips are > 3,300 albums, many of those multidisc sets, operas, etc. Of these > 1,900 are classical Mch, >270 stereo classical and >1,100 non-classical (mainly stereo rock, jazz, movie music, etc.). I believe the actual disc count is well over > 4,000.

There are > 500 BD-A and -V, mainly operas, classical concerts and ballets. Many are on external drives (about 10TBs worth) and not yet on the NAS.

My 52TB, 13-drive NAS is filled to about 40TB. I need to add another 5 drive expansion unit.

Meanwhile, there are about 2,000 CDs and about the same number of LPs on shelves around the room. But, I never play them and I have no plans to rip them. Well over a decade of dust gathers as they are in limbo.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
How much music is 22 Terabytes?
Short answer: Almost all of it.
Long answer: I don't know. There are 62,663 files. How many albums is hard to estimate Each album has a small JPG for cover art and many have a small PDF for album brochure. Roon says 4626 but that is unreliable.

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My only relevant libraries in actual use are those on my NAS. These include hirez SACD rips, BD-A and BD-V, and a few ultra hirez dsd256 or DXD Mch files.

The SACD rips are > 3,300 albums, many of those multidisc sets, operas, etc. Of these > 1,900 are classical Mch, >270 stereo classical and >1,100 non-classical (mainly stereo rock, jazz, movie music, etc.). I believe the actual disc count is well over > 4,000.

That's a lot of SACD rips. I've ripped between 500 and 1,000 SACDs via PS3 to my HDD, which also has several thousand CD rips and perhaps a few hundred high-res PCM downloads. I still find buying the plastics discs to be the most convenient way to get music, despite the pain of ripping.

And, yes, I do have Tidal and am paying for memberships for several relatives. But its catalog is insufficient, particularly for my taste in classical music.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
If we listen to say 10 hours of music everyday, in one year that would be 3,650 hours. One hour say is one album. And assuming we do that for the remaining of what's left of our life on earth, say for the average people here @ ASR, another 30 years non-stop, starting today now...that would be 109,500 music albums...audio files, all that jazz.

Now, let's round this to say 100,000 and never listening to the same music album, audio file twice. And, for simplicity sake let's say 10 tunes per album, some have only two long tunes, others have two dozens. That's 1 million tunes.

Now, some people spend more time than this in music listening, others much less, some are serious, others are background music listeners, some listen to the same album twice, or even thrice (I listened to Wish you were Here seventeen times).

From this average scientific data, reslistically speaking, life expectancy on a high positive note full of hope and best wishes, how much music do you need till expiring date?

Last edited:
Top Bottom