• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Happiness is ...

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Having combined three households, I can feel pretty confident that simply having more stuff (in general) doesn't make me any happier.

Getting ready to go into severe throw-away mode around here to see what that does to me.

---
I am not a Buddhist because the paranormal, ritual and ceremony stuff is not for me

How about Zen?

---

Nice quote there:

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's mind there are few."- Shunryu Sukuzi

OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
cropped-head1.jpg
... live in the now and do no harm.

Becoming a free human being in a 7.5 billion people's world living among us.
Every day people born, people die.

I'm listening to a music album right now (on compact digital disc from a box-set):

chopin-the-complete-piano-music-magaloff-philips-13cds-ape.jpg

...All day, I got the time.

Here's a small extract:

Wombat

Master Contributor
Having combined three households, I can feel pretty confident that simply having more stuff (in general) doesn't make me any happier.

Getting ready to go into severe throw-away mode around here to see what that does to me.

---

How about Zen?

---

Nice quote there:

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's mind there are few."- Shunryu Sukuzi

I think Zen is the closest to the simplicity of the Buddha's teachings. I am influenced by it.

"You know your a professional when you don't like doing it any more"-Unknown musician.

tomelex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

---

How about Zen?

---

Nice quote there:

About a week after your stuff is gone you will need one of those things, be happy!

tomelex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
About a week after your stuff is gone you will need one of those things, be happy!

No kidding this must be some kind of karmic law. I have had things 10, 15 or even 20 years thinking they'll be needed and hard to find one day. Finally ditch them or sell them. Within 3 weeks I need exactly that thing. Not want it. Not could use it. NEED it. Has happened dozens of times.

Nevertheless, I think you are better off not keeping stuff and suffering thru the need or being forced to find alternatives.

OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
To me, in my life's philosophy, happiness is . . . seeing people smiling.
Knowing that others are fairly treated and respected as human beings living on our beautiful blue planet. Equality and fraternity.

Happiness is not smiling @ the expense of other's suffering.

I know, it's hard to be truly happy when knowing the immense suffering that others on our planet are experiencing and living. How can one truly be happy with a human sensitivity and normal sensibility. Just look @ the California fires and @ the people who lost their homes.

That's all I wanted to say because that is very important to not remain neutral to the world's injustices and abuses and natural disasters. Happiness is take a side and speak up, in helping others in need.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3911993/...s-fed-to-dogs-women-forced-to-have-abortions/

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/north-korean-defector-tells-un-she-ate-rats-to-survive-nfjjk7wbz

"The defector recited a poem called 'Is anyone there?' from a collection of poems she wrote.

'I am scared, is anyone there? I'm here in hell, is anyone there? I scream and yell but no one opens the door. Is anyone there? Please listen to our moans and listen to our pain. Is anyone there? People are dying, my friend is dying.

'I call out again and again but why don't you answer. Is anyone there?

She gave her harrowing testimony at a United Nations event entitled 'The Terrifying experience of forcibly Repatriated North Korean women,' and was sponsored by the Britain U.S. France, Japan, South Korea and Canada.

Britain's ambassador to the United Nations, Matthew Rycroft, praised Ji-Hyeon-A and said the crimes discussed 'amount to crimes against humanity'.

Last edited:
OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor

Wombat

Master Contributor
For many, happiness is a state of mind that shuts out the suffering of others.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Wow.

Ever Ready Personal Flotation Devices.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I didn't watch.

Just from the "book cover" I don't think anything there will be applicable to my humble life.

Top Bottom