• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

soncoz sgd1 troubleshooting

nicosalto

Hi,
i just received my new DAC today, the soncoz sgd1. Iam having some issues setting it up and maybe iam missing something obvious.
I installed the drivers from : http://www.soncoz.com/download.html#/ (on windows) i have the small soncoz icon in my windows tray.
i plugged it to my PC in usb, and plugged to my amp, but i cant get any output sound.
I tried to use VLC or Jriver, but not output still.
The DAC works when use it in bluetooth from my phone.
Any advice is welcomed.

Veri

Master Contributor
i plugged it to my PC in usb, and plugged to my amp, but i cant get any output sound.
What is your Windows sound output device? What does the soncoz tray say?

OP
N

nicosalto

On windows the output device is called SGD1.
And the soncoz have the usbB icon and the APOD filter ON.

Attachments

• IMG_20201027_201409.jpg
    IMG_20201027_201409.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 179
OP
N

nicosalto

I tried to install the driver on another laptop PC but i have the same issue.

EMMA

I tried both, it works with my phone via bluetooth.
But it doesn't work with my PC plugged in usb.
What a pity. :(Can the SGD1 be recognized when you clicked on the icon on the desktop after the successful installation of the driver? If it is convenient for you, please take photos and let us study what went wrong.

Veri

Master Contributor
I tried to install the driver on another laptop PC but i have the same issue.
Note that on a Windows, the device needs to be selected as the default, or it will use other sound output already present on your computer.
You definitely need to configure settings in Sound control panel if you have not.

OP
N

nicosalto

yes here are some screen shots.

I also tested a few things :
- tried another usb wire
- tried another pc laptop with windows
- tried on ubuntu
- tried with usbC input
- tried to re-install the drivers
- switch between all the audio output in windows and in Jriver
- tried to install the latest firmware with the wifi hotspot as described in the doc
- reset the box as described in the doc

I sent a few mail to the soncoz support, but they dont seem to answer emails. I am not so sure what to do at this point.
This unit is brand new i literally just received it.

Attachments

• Screenshot (28).png
    Screenshot (28).png
    38.9 KB · Views: 175
  • Screenshot (29).png
    Screenshot (29).png
    19.5 KB · Views: 181
  • Screenshot (30).png
    Screenshot (30).png
    12 KB · Views: 177
  • Screenshot (31).png
    Screenshot (31).png
    13.7 KB · Views: 163
  • Screenshot (32).png
    Screenshot (32).png
    22.3 KB · Views: 155

EMMA

- tried another usb wire
- tried on ubuntu
- tried with usbC input
- tried to install the latest firmware with the wifi hotspot as described in the doc

I sent a few mail to the soncoz support, but they dont seem to answer emails. I am not so sure what to do at this point.
Let us verify if it is a USB input problem, if there is any sound when you connect the RCA output of SGD1 to the earphone ?
0792a133bb44b2716074060dbd78d7b.jpg

Veri

Master Contributor

- tried another usb wire
- tried on ubuntu
- tried with usbC input

OK that looks like something is wrong on analog output :/

OP
N

nicosalto

Iam not really sure its an analog out issue. The Dac work in bluetooth with my phone and i just tried in optic input and it works as well (connected to my PC).
Its really the usbB and usbC that are failing on working for me.

EMMA

Iam not really sure its an analog out issue. The Dac work in bluetooth with my phone and i just tried in optic input and it works as well (connected to my PC).
Its really the usbB and usbC that are failing on working for me.
It seems to be a USB input problem, so please connect the RCA output with the earphone to confirm it.

OP
N

nicosalto

It seems to be a USB input problem, so please connect the RCA output with the earphone to confirm it.
I don't have the wire to connect the analog RCA output to a pair of headphones. I can go and buy it if needed, but now iam connected to my amp in RCA, what difference does it makes to test with headphones instead?

Pluto

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Suggest you take this one step at a time. First, uninstall the driver as its presence can cause deceptive results; it sort-of implies to the system that the device is present when this may not be true. BTW what version of Windows are you using?

What you are about to do will let you know if the DAC is being detected at all.

Leave the DAC powered but disconnect its USB link. Open device manager. Reconnect the USB link. The device manager screen will ‘flick’ as it redraws, if it detects a new device. Give it a few seconds then remove the link again; a few seconds then back again. Whenever a USB device is lost, or found, the display will flick. If you get no flicking then nothing is being detected; in this case, you need to narrow the issue down to the port, the cable or the DAC itself.

If you do see a flick, the next job is to see what is being detected. A DAC without a driver should be recognised as an audio device although possibly not by the name you might expect. “Unrecognised audio device” (or something similar) is a possibility! You may need to trawl through the device manager listings to find the DAC, but as long as you find something that is consistent with removing or replacing the link, you're getting there.

Try this and report back.

MichaelStipe

Maybe , it could be a simple volume setting issue ?
The SGD1 memorize a different volume level for each input you select ; if the setting volume of usb inputs is too low you could hear no sound.
From the picture in your post #3 it seems to me that the leds around the knob aren't full scale lit.
It could be the knob itself in the picture that hide the end of the scale , and surely you' ve already checked the volume level , anyway i leave this suggestion . .

Top Bottom