• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Okto dac8 stereo DAC Review

Oklei

Forum Donor
Same II mark next to USB2 source on Okto.
When trying an external RPi/MoOde I get this MPD alsa fail message.

Have you tried to 'load defaults' in the okto's system submenu and select coax1 and connect your CD transport to coax1?

If this does not work you could ssh into the RPi and execute "lsusb" while the RPi is connected to the Okto via USB and the okto is on and usb source is selected. The okto should appear in the list of connected USB devices.

Qwin

Thanks Oklei, Pavel reckons it may be a Known issue and recommends I load the new firmware, available in a few days.

rob58

hi Qwin, when did you order your okto dac? can you tell me your order number? so I can tell when I get mine.
thank you.

Qwin

hi Qwin, when did you order your okto dac? can you tell me your order number? so I can tell when I get mine.
thank you.

#152 ordered 25th June, so just over 15 weeks to delivery on 9th Oct.
I went for a tailored voltage output, which may have held mine up, as I think Pavel builds units in batches, which would make sense.
Note, order #153 (standard voltage) was delivered to a member of this parish on 10th September, if that helps.

rob58

Thanks for the reply! then I hope to receive by the end of the month.

howard416

Man, why did they include an S/P-DIF input on this one but not the dac8 Pro?

Vasr

Major Contributor
Man, why did they include an S/P-DIF input on this one but not the dac8 Pro?
Dac 8 Pro is meant for 8 channel use, not just stereo. So they would need to provide 4 S/P-DIF inputs but those would need to be instead of the AES inputs. But there are more pro-audio applications for the latter than a consumer or pro-audio chain with 4x2 S/P-DIF outs (unless you get into miniDSP-like dongle nonsense). The only application where a single port S/P-DIF would be useful is as a stereo source into a multi-way speaker configuration but without crossover capability within the unit as of now, its use will be limited.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

rob58

hi has everyone, anyone can tell me if the orders 154 155 156 have been delivered? mine is number 157 ordered June 26 and I have not received the shipping notice. order 153 was delivered on september 10th (i read in this forum) 7 days ago okto replied to me saying it delivered for shipping and within 2 days i would receive the track number. none of this. yesterday i sent a new email to find out what happened, no reply.
do I need to worry? I already am! I am waiting a few more days then I send my lawyer to act.

StefaanE

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I am waiting a few more days then I send my lawyer to act.
Has your credit card been debited? If not, I respectfully suggest that sending in the lawyers is rather premature.

rob58

sent me an email on July 1st to confirm receipt of payment. cashed immediately.

StefaanE

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
sent me an email on July 1st to confirm receipt of payment. cashed immediately.
Not very nice. I hope it’s just too much work. Being essentially a one-guy-outfit doesn’t make things easier (I was for nigh-on 20 years, and got some experience in that department).

InFeRNuS

Still waiting for order #154 here.
Ordered on June 25th. With streaming option, no custom output voltage.

rob58

I hope too! unfortunately I believe it less and less! he replies after a week to the emails I have sent and when he does the replies I read
they make me think that I have fallen into a deception.

Oklei

Forum Donor
I'm #206 so I guess 2020 is not going to happen :oops:

kopczas

So I guess there won`t be any good time to order this dac soon.

Top Bottom