• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SONCOZ SGD1 Audio DAC Review

Zeeb

If the Soncoz needs to be set at 100% volume to be audible, then it does not have a digital pre-amp functionality!

On another setup, I have a d90 connected directly to active speakers, the d90 volume is used to control volume.

A dac should only be set to 100% if there is a dedicated pre-amp next in the chain

I'm confused too. Can you change the input sensitivity on your actives or DAC output voltage or something?

I'm considering getting the SGD1 to connect (XLR) to my Genelec 8030s which have no volume control. Can anyone answer - wouldn't the SGD1 at full volume be sufficient for me and most active speakers without a separate preamp?

hyperknot

SGD1 outputs full 4V on XLR and 2V on RCA with low impedance. It should drive all active speakers and power amps perfectly without preamp, (and this is how I'm using it as well).

Aldoszx

Topping have that functionality but it's not ideal. For example if You were using usb before unit went to standby it will only wake up when usb signal will be sent again. @hyperknot gave good advice if you don't mind led lights
Are you sure about that?
I have E30 and i think is woken up by first input detected, even if it was used to USB before standby.

Aldoszx

At least Topping D50S works that way.
Hm, I am gonna try to my D50s. I would like to be like that. Is a feature for me :)

Last edited:

JamesYeomans

Forum Donor
At least Topping D50S works that way.
That’s exactly how my two D50s work. They only autowake if the last used input receives a signal

Zeeb

SGD1 outputs full 4V on XLR and 2V on RCA with low impedance. It should drive all active speakers and power amps perfectly without preamp, (and this is how I'm using it as well).

Great, thanks, I think I will get this DAC. (I didn't realise the post I replied to was so old and I hope that member solved their problem.)

Zeeb

I ordered the SGD1 and am excited to try it. It's my first DAC. I currently have new Genelec 8030s connected straight to my PC (analogue line-out) and they sound great except for the slightly annoying ground loop noise.

I decided on the SGD1 based on the partial lifetime warranty (see the soncozaudio.com warranty page) and these reviews of the LA-QXD1 and SGD1:

(hard to hear the first one - open transcript)

I decided to take the plunge with the more expensive SGD1 because of Soncoz's engagement on this forum and their warranty. Plus I wanted a remote control.

Last edited:

Zeeb

What is the current situation with bluetooth - can it be turned off? I don't think I'll be using it and in principle I'd like to be able to turn it off for wear-and-tear/heat reasons. Not a big deal to me though.

EMMA

What is the current situation with bluetooth - can it be turned off? I don't think I'll be using it and in principle I'd like to be able to turn it off for wear-and-tear/heat reasons. Not a big deal to me though.
When you switch the SGD1 input mode to another one, the music playing from Bluetooth will stop.
Only adjust back to Bluetooth input mode, the music will continue to play.
By the way, the bluetooth can’t be turned off.

Zeeb

...the bluetooth can’t be turned off.

I can see why that might be convenient for some, but I'd like to add a request to Soncoz to consider in a future firmware an option to somehow disable bluetooth completely.

Anyway, only a minor issue to me and I'm excited to try this flagship DAC.

Morla

Forum Donor
I would also like to be able to choose if wireless lan auto update is attempted or not.

loprent1

Do people feel that the updates and feedback Soncoz listens to on this forum is helping make the product better over time relative to SMSL and the SU-9?

Edit: Has anyone heard about how long/if the Apple remote will be supported? That would be epic!

Last edited:

0xgrm

Hello all,

I have a Soncoz LA-QXD1 (already posted in its topic) and have channels reversed when playing DSD. Do any of you have this problem on the SGD1?

dreadknot

Forum Donor
now that ive seen this Soncoz SGD1 im torn i was going to get the massdrop grace balanced dac for 160$ to go with my MAGNIUS BALANCED HEADPHONE AMP AND PREAMP an monoprice m570 but now after seeing all this shoild i splurg for this to truly complement my MAGNIUS

Veri

Master Contributor
shoild i splurg for this to truly complement my MAGNIUS
Honestly, the modius is a great match for magnius, aesthetically and it's a fine DAC especially with Schiit's USB interface which seems to work very well.

Zeeb

I got my SGD1 yesterday and I am very happy with it so far.

My ground loop noise is gone. I like the remote control - the vol buttons are in a comfortable position.

I like how the driver doesn't disable the Windows volume control, so I can use my keyboard volume remotely when not listening to music (I set Windows volume to 100 for attentive music listening). I read that MOTU audio interface drivers disable Win volume.

The unit's main rotary volume control having a bit of wiggle/play doesn't really bother me and I will usually be using the remote control anyway.

I also like the input source volume level memory. I will only let other people use Win volume - not the DAC volume - so they don't accidentally turn up the volume louder than the max I use on the DAC.

I haven't tried any hi-res/high quality audio yet so I can't comment on that.

I was able to check for firmware updates (it was already up to date) with the app+wifi router method (I changed my router wifi to 2.4GHz only) - but I couldn't get the hotspot method to work... maybe I have to somehow set my phone to 2.4GHz only as well, but I haven't looked into that.

Sophia Ann

Audio Company
I got my SGD1 yesterday and I am very happy with it so far.

My ground loop noise is gone. I like the remote control - the vol buttons are in a comfortable position.

I like how the driver doesn't disable the Windows volume control, so I can use my keyboard volume remotely when not listening to music (I set Windows volume to 100 for attentive music listening). I read that MOTU audio interface drivers disable Win volume.

The unit's main rotary volume control having a bit of wiggle/play doesn't really bother me and I will usually be using the remote control anyway.

I also like the input source volume level memory. I will only let other people use Win volume - not the DAC volume - so they don't accidentally turn up the volume louder than the max I use on the DAC.

I haven't tried any hi-res/high quality audio yet so I can't comment on that.

I was able to check for firmware updates (it was already up to date) with the app+wifi router method (I changed my router wifi to 2.4GHz only) - but I couldn't get the hotspot method to work... maybe I have to somehow set my phone to 2.4GHz only as well, but I haven't looked into that.
It's so lucky for SONCOZ SGD1 to meet with the customers like you, LOL... Thanks

wopr

Hello all,

Thank you for this great thread.
It convinced me to buy an SGD1. Which I received a few days ago.

I use it between a RaspberryPi 4 and my old hi-fi amplifier.
The RPi outputs the audio via USB (with Volumio) so I use the USB input of the SGD1.
It works perfectly.

However I wonder if using the AES input would be even better?
For this, it is possible to add a HAT card with a XLR connector on the RasberryPi, to provide this AES output.
Would this bring a gain in quality compared to USB?

Thanks for your good advice :)

HionHiFi

I'm confused too. Can you change the input sensitivity on your actives or DAC output voltage or something?

I'm considering getting the SGD1 to connect (XLR) to my Genelec 8030s which have no volume control. Can anyone answer - wouldn't the SGD1 at full volume be sufficient for me and most active speakers without a separate preamp?
I’m driving my SGD1 with a pair of KRK VXT6 Powered Studio Monitors via XLR and it works perfectly. The Monitors have a master volume control but I leave it at the default setting.

Top Bottom