• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Headphone measurements

somy

Hi,
Is there any other website other than rtings with good and objective measure of headphone?
I found some data here but not sure if it can be trusted:
https://crinacle.com/rankings/headphones/
For example HD800S does seem to me low in the rank. Thank you!

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi,
Is there any other website other than rtings with good and objective measure of headphone?
I found some data here but not sure if it can be trusted:
https://crinacle.com/rankings/headphones/
For example HD800S does seem to me low in the rank. Thank you!

@crinacle measures headphones. He also reviews. I might be wrong but reading the rankings I think that is based on his subjective opinions from listening. Not from measuring and analysing. Maybe he can correct me if I am wrong. Whether he takes measurements into account in his ranking or ranks before measuring , I do not know.

Also, he gives the HD800S an "A"- I am not sure how you think that ranks "lowly"? Its the 3rd highest grade awarded in the list

OP
S

somy

@crinacle measures headphones. He also reviews. I might be wrong but reading the rankings I think that is based on his subjective opinions from listening. Not from measuring and analysing. Maybe he can correct me if I am wrong. Whether he takes measurements into account in his ranking or ranks before measuring , I do not know.

Also, he gives the HD800S an "A"- I am not sure how you think that ranks "lowly"? Its the 3rd highest grade awarded in the list
Hi, when I click on the headphone it shows a RF curve, I assume it is measured result?
Anyways, rtings rates HD800S higher than Hifiman Ananda, and in his list Ananda is higher.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi, when I click on the headphone it shows a RF curve, I assume it is measured result?
Anyways, rtings rates HD800S higher than Hifiman Ananda, and in his list Ananda is higher.

No, I think thats a link to his measurements if he has done them. Note he hasnt linked the HE560- but ranked.

And when you say HD800S is rated higher than Ananda? Where ? By whom? On what basis ? I think you may be overthinking what I believe is a subjective list.

OP
S

somy

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Subjective scores vs subjective scores

Rtings has no subjective scores and states the ratings are 100% objective, listening tests are not included.
They make different scores for different use cases with different weightings for each use case.

I don't rate anything. Its totally nonsensical. As if one headphone could ever be 'the best'.
I can only post if I like it and state why I think so.

Have been contemplating using the Golden Ears 'sliders' which I found more helpful than any review but are subjective probably 1 reviewer ?
Alas this measurement site too is no longer and all info is removed.

Found the LCD-X page in the wayback machine

Last edited:

crinacle

Reviewer

Yes, the ranking lists are based on subjective impressions. It's basically my personal opinion on what headphones are good and bad according to my experience so I don't claim any sort of perfect objectivity. For those who don't care, there's the measurements database.

Rtings "rates" according to how close a headphone's FR hits their proprietary target curve a la "Harman Preference Scores". Good if you like their target, pretty useless if you don't.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, the ranking lists are based on subjective impressions. It's basically my personal opinion on what headphones are good and bad according to my experience so I don't claim any sort of perfect objectivity. For those who don't care, there's the measurements database.

Rtings "rates" according to how close a headphone's FR hits their proprietary target curve a la "Harman Preference Scores". Good if you like their target, pretty useless if you don't.

@somy OK, so I was wrong about RTings- objective with the caveats @crinacle and @solderdude have stated. But then you have Crinacle's subjective ranking and Rtings objectve so still not comparable. I stand by using reviews, ratings and maeasurements as a guide for shortlisting/ auditioning and ears and wallet as the deciders.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Crinacle's description of headphones and earphones in the ranking at least make sense. Rtings' often contradict to what I actually hear. When I use Crinacle's ranking list, I firstly look for Harman neutral or DF neutral. Then look at price etc. I rarely use it because basically you don't use it often. But the ranking list and description make sense.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Diyaudioheaven is also great. On that site, you get much more information than any others. You do get the whole picture. Although sometimes subjective opinion can lead to a slight altered impression.

If the headphones are reviewed by Oluv's gadget, you gotta watch his video. You basically totally totally get how the headphones sound. The videos just translate so well.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I also like EAR-FI on NAVER. 0db used to be great but the measurements went shit after switching to hires head. seeko doesn't update anymore. Speakerphone rarely updates. There was a time all these sites all updating and it was really a great time. After Tyll left everything feels weird.

Objectivist01

Subjective scores vs subjective scores . Take them all with a pinch of salt. A good argument for selecting a shortlist for listening based on reviews, rankings and measurements if you can find them, but let your ears and wallet be the ultimate judge if possible.
Does audeze lcd x count here? Objectively its flawed than 200 $ headphones and it costs hell alot. What is the deciding factor if its not wallet friendly and objectively bad? I guess trust blindly the ears ? Or trust subjective review? If ears is the judge, then why do we need to look into measurements?

I guess The common language is, well, measurable

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Does audeze lcd x count here? Objectively its flawed than 200 $ headphones and it costs hell alot. What is the deciding factor if its not wallet friendly and objectively bad? I guess trust blindly the ears ? Or trust subjective review? If ears is the judge, then why do we need to look into measurements?

Because each one of them have different preference. And these preference can be both real and bias. Also listening is a learning experience or training experience. If you just want to listen for fun without going into it too deep then sure. But if you are investing a lot of money into it and trying to "upgrade" every now and then, then it's important to learn to like something that measures good. It will shorten the path of finding the truth and reduce dicking around.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Because each one of them have different preference. And these preference can be both real and bias. Also listening is a learning experience or training experience. If you just want to listen for fun without going into it too deep then sure. But if you are investing a lot of money into it and trying to "upgrade" every now and then, then it's important to learn to like something that measures good. It will shorten the path of finding the truth and reduce dicking around.

That borders on qualifying as an ASR manifesto.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

If you don't like the look of measurements and can't afford it, you wouldn't audition it, would you? You really want to pick this tussle up again?

Did you even read what I said? Or do you just want to prove how clever you are saying the lcd x doesn't measure well and is overpriced and you wisely gave it a pass when you auditioned it? Also, and I will say again, after eq the lcd x can be a very good headphone OBJECTIVELY.

Top Bottom