• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DIY Audio: Counterfeit Parts

tr1ple6

An interesting project to help fight against counterfeit goods

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Looks like that is a common cheat. Check the choke in this power supply:
They just looped the wire in and out of the thing!
And empty inside like the other one:
Amazing that everything else is there but the copper winding wire.
That's incredible, I would have never guessed such a thing existed.
I guess Hi End audio isn't the only electronics industry full of charlatans. :eek:

c1ferrari

Forum Donor
Terrible...safety concerns -- Danger Will Robinson, Danger! :eek:

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
Amir, which brand computer was it the one with that strange transformer?
Is this common practice, normal, regular operation?

Is there any reason to be concerned @ all, can we launch a lawsuit, do you know a good attorney, is he fair about his wages and cut, can we win, do we have a solid case, is there a positive for the population, should we call consumer protection association, are we certain that something is amiss, it looks like it, ...

What brand was this computer? @ least if we don't recourse to action of the laws we can stay away from that brand and tell all their owners what they bought. It looks like an older PC model, which year, and make?

And why didn't you mention it? It's important to know, very.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It is a from a chinese website that only looked at the power supplies, not computer that they went into. Here it is: http://www.pcpop.com/doc/0/294/294565_all.shtml

And the original one is from this thread: http://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/dishonest-chinese-power-supply-'engineering'/?topicseen

The lesson here is to buy from reputable companies (dell, HP, Apple, Microsoft, etc.). Once you go shopping for parts on ebay and such, all bets are off and there are far, far more offenses than these chokes being empty (that just causes the output to be more noisy).

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Last edited:

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
OK, then we just don't buy products made in China.
We stick with USA, Canada, UK, Japan, Germany, Italy, France, and other trustable countries where they treat their workers fairly and humanly.

Simple, and we become happier.

We invest @ home, we invest in ourselves, we treat each other well, with respect, with fair salaries for both men and women, we create our own products in a cleaner climate with human dignity. That's the recice for a healthier people living in a happier big family.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
China-made is OK if it is under the supervision of western and major Asian companies. By themselves they can still be good but you better know what you are buying.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
$199.95 in 1955 → $1,826.30 in 2017

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
$199.95 in 1955 → $1,826.30 in 2017
That's for a 26" screen, considered a monster at the time, the largest then available.
Balance that against today's 75 and up LCD's and it's about right.
Besides the fact that modern video offerings have to be considered a major bargain in light of what your dollar buys today.

Wombat

Master Contributor
4440-NXvpJs8DzNMQ.jpg

Voltage and capacity both underrated. I wonder if the Rubycon is a fake?

CuteStudio

Crumbs.
Recycled parts pulled out by poor indians who sit the PCBs on fires I think.

There's some corruption of course in China but some is induced due to lack of understanding: A common western way to drive prices down is to get a prototype made and them bargain hard for a better price from your supplier. It's just the macho way to do business.

In the west this is met by a grudging acceptance that they are being taken and they deliver the goods.
In China that's fine, you'll get what you pay for so they just substitute everything for cheaper parts - like recycled and fake bits.

Catches lots of savvy westerners by surprise but for the Chinese it's just them giving you what you paid for...

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I could post pics of fake semis, fake caps etc for days. There's plenty of internal pics posted of Chinese HiFi gear where the fakes are so obvious, its ridiculous.

Fake metal film 1% resistors are in practically everything made in China. Basically, any obsolete but expensive semis are being faked or anything used in quantity, regardless of how inexpensive it is, they are being faked too.

I source from Mouser or direct from my suppliers in Japan for hard to get semis.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I could post pics of fake semis, fake caps etc for days. There's plenty of internal pics posted of Chinese HiFi gear where the fakes are so obvious, its ridiculous.
As stated before, I never would have imagined such things were going on. o_O Guess it just goes to show how corrupt the entire state controlled business models are. China is cheating/screwing the world in every way they possibly can get away with. Don't want to go all political but how bad does a country have to be attacking the world around them with a non-military assault before the UN or someone takes action? Sad.

Reactions: trl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Top Bottom