• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SONCOZ SGD1 Audio DAC Review

loprent1

Tossing up between the SGD1 and the SU-9. Anyone have any advice on what I should decide and why?

Pro for SGD1
Build quality and looks are much nicer

Con for SGD1
Have these been sorted? 'design quirks in ESS DAC chip, we have rising intermodulation distortion in mid levels.'
Remote

hyperknot

I was thinking the same but went with SGD1. SGD1 supports 2 USB inputs, for me it was an important feature. Also why is remote a negative, they both have remotes.

Also no "Sound Color" menu, a big plus for me!

zzz2496

@Ben1987 what is the timeline for SGD2?

Ben1987

Audio Company
@Ben1987 Are there any news about amp in the same form factor ? I would like to have matching stack :)
They have the same appearance.

1603160159033.png

bigjacko

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Nice!! Do you have any idea about the performance and when will those come out?

zzz2496

It's in product planning .
What are the difference between SGD1 and SGD2? I mean feature wise.... I want to buy SGD1 but I need a display to see Source/Sample rate/Filter type/Volume level in dB at all time, thus I hesitated clicking buy on SGD1.

HoJ76

Have anyone tested this vs dx7pro and d90.
I'm thinking about the sound.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
According to Ben Youtube channel, prototype for speaker amp was ready few months ago.
Also Ben confimed this in comments section there.
I like it as it is, no housing, just components here and there, lovely :p

menhir

I am considering SGD1. Does it have any signal detection on optical toslink to wake up from stand by (or any kind of sleep) mode? I would like to keep the dac always on and when there is a source signal detected it would be ideal if it automatically wake up (with proper input selected). I need to take wife acceptance factor into consideration and she doesn't want to power on several devices to start music playing...

tom_tom

Topping have that functionality but it's not ideal. For example if You were using usb before unit went to standby it will only wake up when usb signal will be sent again. @hyperknot gave good advice if you don't mind led lights

menhir

I don't mind leaving it on all the time. I thought it will go to standby mode after some time without signal by itself. May be I just did not understand well or don't understand what standby mode is.

I want to use it with one signal source only (optical toslink from television) and leave it always on. I was afraid that after some time without signal (television will be switched off) it will go to some kind of stand by mode. And after that it will not wake up by itself but only if I select source on a remote control (or some other action).

Am I right (from what you guys wrote) that the above is some kind of misconception and I can use it as described without worries? Thanks.

hyperknot

I'm quite sure if you leave it on 24/7 it'll just play whatever you send to it on optical.

Top Bottom