• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommendation for Headphone AMP with most power and lowest distortion at near or max volume?

I've been looking at reviews and the Topping L30 seems to be a good fit. Does anyone know if any other amp has higher rated power and lower distortion?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
It would also be very wise to consider the actual maximum power flea-weight headphone voice coils can tolerate. It is generally only a fraction of a watt (100-250mW) before the former becomes so hot it melts the adhesive, becomes malformed, softens/melts and deforms the driver surface itself.

@AudioQuestShill you do understand that nearly all the "power" you apply to a headphone goes up in heat don't you? Consider a 5W wirewound resistor. Run it to 5 watts and watch it char a circuit board, melt the solder and burn your fingers. You will not find a typical audiophile dynamic driver headphone that will absorb even half that on a continuous basis.

This quest for power in HPAs is foolish, dangerous, and an expensive lesson in fried headphones.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I've been looking at reviews and the Topping L30 seems to be a good fit. Does anyone know if any other amp has higher rated power and lower distortion?

What do you want to drive ?
What impedances and efficiencies of headphones (the range do you have) ?
what DAC/source are you planning to use ?
Do you intend to use digital EQ ?

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
/s is sarcastic i believe. I laughed anyway

Top Bottom