• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audeze LCD-X Over Ear Open Back Headphone Review

bobbooo

Major Contributor
Matches Crinacle’s measurements well:
View attachment 88105

He also has measurements with “worn pads” and the bass is even worse.

And to plead again, once you get settled in with headphone measuring, can you do a measurement average (slight physical adjustments) that also includes glasses?

If they are done I would suggest displaying with-glasses measurements separately instead of averaging with the without-glasses measurements, then each user demographic can look at the response they're likely to hear. But yes, averaged measurements with positional variation are needed really. Oratory does this average over 6-10 positions for every headphone (as well as multiple headphone units of a model if he has access to them). Not sure what Crinacle's methodology is.

goldark

Forum Donor
Very interesting review. Any chance we can start calculating Harman preference ratings for headphones too? (I know Oratory1990 calculates them for his measurements)

xarkkon

yikes, after so many glowing reviews online (both youtubers and forumers on stuff like head-fi) I've always been tempted with trying these out. turns out so many of those reviews are just turds.

any reviewers that came out to you as being particularly honest with their stuff? which ones identified the mid range issues? curious to know who are the ones who actually know their stuff.

CJ Miller

Forum Donor
So this is no surprise given how mixed the subjective views are on basically all audeze products. Frankly when it comes to headphones I've just leaned towards harman products because at the least I know the measurements won't be bad. Rtings has basically confirmed this.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I used to own an Audeze LCD-2 and was not impressed with the character of the sound nor the fit of the headphone. I currently own an Audeze Sine DX and find the sound quality much, much more enjoyable.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So this is no surprise given how mixed the subjective views are on basically all audeze products. Frankly when it comes to headphones I've just leaned towards harman products because at the least I know the measurements won't be bad. Rtings has basically confirmed this.
I listened to a closed back of their’s at an audio show, wouldn’t ever considering buying them.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I used to own an Audeze LCD-2 and was not impressed with the character of the sound nor the fit of the headphone. I currently own an Audeze Sine DX and find the sound quality much, much more enjoyable.
LCD2 is one of the best in Audeze line up in frequency response standpoint. The original LCD1(old one not the new one) is diffuse field tuned, virtually no one has heard it.

Degru

"As for speed, it seems people confuse lack of bass with speed. Yes, if you take away the bass notes, the sound is flatter and seems to linger less. But that is just a frequency response error, not any kind of speed thing. "- amirm

Amen, this.
Quite disagree. HD600 bass rolls off significantly but still sounds slow as hell next to a good estat, even if both are EQ'd to the same FR.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Why is there such an incongruence in the measurements post 9K on Amir's measurements vs crinacle and oratory? Also I 100% agree with MZKM on measurements with glasses. That would be awesome.
Actually. I hate to say it. It's the HI-RES coupler that's doing it. It's the exact issue of the heated Z1R discrepancy amongst inner fidelity, speakerphone and Jude's GRAS hires head.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Very interesting review. Any chance we can start calculating Harman preference ratings for headphones too? (I know Oratory1990 calculates them for his measurements)
I recommend not. Learn to read the graph yourself with actual experience with a few headphones measured here then get comfortable with the characteristics.

spacevector

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Man, this headphone was producing exemplary bass performance and good tonality. I am talking about my usual ear lobes resonating. I then looked at the volume control and there was more room to go so I went for it! For just 1 second that I could tolerate it, it felt like I had a subwoofer in my head!!! :D If our hearing did not get damaged doing this, I would listen to these headphones this way all day long. :)
Hahaha you such a slut for the bass amir, love it.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I'll thank Oratory1990 for providing us a controlled variable. All three of Amir, Crinacle, Oratory have same pinna. But Oratory has old RA0045 coupler (which I prefer actually). Also comparing to 4128c the differences starting to emerge.
The new pinna is responsible for 5-6khz gain(or 2-7khz gain) And that's the original reason I found Oratory's measurements being weird. The new hires coupler is responsible for the severe roll off.
Sony, what have you done?

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
While I applaud Amir considering adopting a headphone measurement rig to round out what ASR is capable of, given the number of other headphone measurement sources available (mentioned in the thread) I would prefer products measured where others are lacking. ie Speakers and amplifiers. I would prefer to somehow see a consistent DSP/room correction assessment method deployed, if practicable.

Tks

Major Contributor
Pretty much my conclusions when I had them. With oratory's EQ, literally a whole new headphone. Only problem. Awful design. Too too heavy and because of such, doesn't let you move you head tilt much. Also a headband that begins to dig into your skull once the leather strap gives in.

Also for something this big, I expected more room in the ear cups.

milezone

Forum Donor
A trash product. The amount of hype these have received offends me.

Last edited:

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
LCD2 is one of the best in Audeze line up in frequency response standpoint. The original LCD1(old one not the new one) is diffuse field tuned, virtually no one has heard it.
I used to be a beta tester for Oppo and used the LCD-2 as a benchmark for comparison with at least three different iterations a piece of the Oppo PM-1 and PM-3. I also used an AKG 701 (from one of the last Austrian production runs). I preferred both of the Oppo’s and the AKG to the LCD-2. I like the Audeze Sine DX as much as the PM-3 although I prefer the PM-1 a smidge better. Also beta tested the HA-1 and HA-2, a pair of Sonica speakers, and a Sonica DAC, all in three to four different iterations.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
And to plead again, once you get settled in with headphone measuring, can you do a measurement average (slight physical adjustments) that also includes glasses?
As you see in the picture of the 45CA fixture above, this is not a human head so you can't put glasses on it. Even if it were, we need to figure out what would constitute glasses. Maybe I can make some fixture that represents glasses.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As you see in the picture of the 45CA fixture above, this is not a human head so you can't put glasses on it. Even if it were, we need to figure out what would constitute glasses. Maybe I can make some fixture that represents glasses.
So you mean no nose bridge to position them on?
Thick rim glasses should be worse case in terms of getting a good seal.

My usual issue with wearing glasses and headphones though is that my temple tips protrude past my ears enough that they push against many ear cups and is difficult to get a comfortable positioning.

Top Bottom