• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Say "Hello!" to boXem | audio Arthur series, Hypex and Purifi based power amplifiers

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
I am proud to finally announce Arthur, our line of power amplifiers.

All Arthur power amplifiers will share common aesthetics and functionalities like in example the auto on/off or the clipping indicator.

Another common point between all amplifiers of the Arthur line is their amplification technology. We have chosen self oscillating class D with post filter feedback technology, ensuring high power and low distortion on the entire audio bandwidth, a very low output impedance, all this independently from the speaker characteristics and with the renown efficiency from class D amplifiers.
Said in a simpler way, they will be based on Hypex and Purifi designs :).

The chassis was designed in house with the target to be modular and very compact. Entirely in aluminum, its dimensions of 224 x 80 x 318 mm ensure nice proportions (to our eyes at least) while the width allows two amplifiers to fit in a standard rack.
Case thermal design was validated with an Hypex NC1200 in a 2 Ω load, which is the worse case for these amplifiers.
Front plate has a choice of three colors (for the moment) while the top and sides cover is a single piece finished with a special paint, with a mate, suede-like texture that is very nice to look and feel. While it's not a case machined from a single block (not a fan of the concept of throwing away 90% of raw material), no screw is visible from front, top and sides.

The two first members of the line are Arthur 2408/N2 and Arthur 3409/N2. They are two channels power amplifiers that develop respectively up to 125 W and 250 W in 4 Ω and are based on Hypex nCore technology (NC122MP and NC252MP).

Did I write about the auto on/off? Not that much. It is basically sensing one of the two analog inputs, enables the amplifier when something resembling music happens, and set it back in standby after 10 minutes of silence.

Our products are designed and assembled at Schifflange, Luxembourg, at the heart of Europe. We try as much as we can to work with local businesses. Our circuit boards are also built in Luxembourg, our cases come from Metz, France, 60 km away from our facility. When local suppliers are not available, we pay a lot of attention to select European companies.

We will start shipping last week of October. Later this year a stereo amplifier based on Purifi Eigentakt technology will be added to the line. An integrated amplifier and a preamplifier will appear during 2021.

Last but not least, there is a 10% discount on 24 units for ASR members, just let me know via PM if you are interested.

Did I write about the auto on/off? I did. But it's so cool...

Some images, you can click on them to get them bigger.
front-grey-800x800.pngfront-black-800x800.pngdetail-orange-800x800.pngside-orange-800x800.pngtop-orange-800x800.pngback-800x800.png

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Can't help but compare this to Audiophonics's own NC252MP amp at 470€; not sure an auto standby, clipping LED and nice case are worth 330€ more. I guess the product value will suffer less with the pricier Purifi modules.
A longer warranty might fit the "luxury" category better, too.

ririt

Hi Boxem audio
I wish you the best as new player in the business of «luxury » hypex/purifi amps. I had a look on your web site, pretty nice! I will soon chase for a preamp which allow me to switch from an AVR to a RME adi-2 FS dac to power my March Audio Purifi stereo power amp. what would be the features of the one you have under development? Any chance to have a kind of HT bypass?

OP
boXem

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Can't help but compare this to Audiophonics's own NC252MP amp at 470€; not sure an auto standby, clipping LED and nice case are worth 330€ more. I guess the product value will suffer less with the pricier Purifi modules.
A longer warranty might fit the "luxury" category better, too.
I knew this would come, but that was quick! :D

330 € includes taxes, excluding them comes to 290 € which allows to compare apple to apple. I recon that doesn't change a lot.

Something I also personally consider as extremely valuable is the "local" part: PCBs come from EU, circuit board assembly is done 20 km away from our facilities, case 60 km away. When we purchase components, we help the local economy. This has a cost. When you go to the butcher or greengrocer, you don't expect to pay the same as in the supermarket, but you will have better quality products locally sourced. That's somehow the same here.

Audiophonics are not the only ones on the market. Appolon, March, Rouge, ... are also there. I invite you to have a look at their pricing, not forgetting to add the 12V trigger (which is far less convenient thatn the auto standby). You will see that we are not 'that' bad in terms of value :).

Hi Boxem audio
I wish you the best as new player in the business of «luxury » hypex/purifi amps. I had a look on your web site, pretty nice! I will soon chase for a preamp which allow me to switch from an AVR to a RME adi-2 FS dac to power my March Audio Purifi stereo power amp. what would be the features of the one you have under development? Any chance to have a kind of HT bypass?
Hi @ririt ! Thanks for the nice words. Rather than "luxury", I would prefer "West European" or "Premium" if you don't mind ;).
The preamp is in the definition phase, the only thing we are sure about is the relay based volume control. Will it include a DAC or a phono stage is not yet decided. Some kind of pass through would be an option, even if it somehow negates the argument of total transparency. It may take the form of a
"unity gain" switch.
These look great - always good to have an additional option for fully assembled Hypex and Purifi based amps.
Thanks!

Last edited:

StefaanE

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Vun engem Lëtzebuerger zum aneren - Vill Gléck mat Ärem Geschäft! HiFi made in Luxembourg, what a lovely idea. I should get a mask and pay you guys a visit.

OP
boXem

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Nice amps. Will you show us some pictures from the inside?
Thanks! I will take pictures during the next build.
Vun engem Lëtzebuerger zum aneren - Vill Gléck mat Ärem Geschäft! HiFi made in Luxembourg, what a lovely idea. I should get a mask and pay you guys a visit.
Villmools merci! It would be a pleasure to meet you 'live', please let me know via PM how we could arrange this.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I knew this would come, but that was quick! :D

330 € includes taxes, excluding them comes to 290 € which allows to compare apple to apple. I recon that doesn't change a lot.

Something I also personally consider as extremely valuable is the "local" part: PCBs come from EU, circuit board assembly is done 20 km away from our facilities, case 60 km away. When we purchase components, we help the local economy. This has a cost. When you go to the butcher or greengrocer, you don't expect to pay the same as in the supermarket, but you will have better quality products locally sourced. That's somehow the same here.

Audiophonics are not the only ones on the market. Appolon, March, Rouge, ... are also there. I invite you to have a look at their pricing, not forgetting to add the 12V trigger (which is far less convenient thatn the auto standby). You will see that we are not 'that' bad in terms of value :).

Thanks!

Thanks for your explanation. I don't think there's anything wrong with building the amps the way you want to and making your case for the value proposition of your approach. Best of luck!

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Great! Good luck! Hope you add multichannel amplifiers as well.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
These look great - always good to have an additional option for fully assembled Hypex and Purifi based amps.

I agree.

But I also agree with the post on price. Maybe call it the "King Arthur"?

And what region en France? I need to know what food & wine to have when listening...

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If I understand it correctly, only the face plate has color options, and the body is always silver, right?

StefaanE

Forum Donor
And what region en France? I need to know what food & wine to have when listening...
Actually, it’s the Grand-Duchy of Luxembourg, so it’ll have to be Judd mat Gaardebounen and a bottle of Simon Pils.;) We do wine too, so a glass of Rivaner would be an alternative.

OP
boXem

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
I agree.

But I also agree with the post on price. Maybe call it the "King Arthur"?
I agree that we don't have the cheapest offering on the market. But as already written, just have a look at our competition, you will see that we are not the most expensive either.
And yes, there is a reference to King Arthur, but not the one you believe.

OP
boXem

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
If I understand it correctly, only the face plate has color options, and the body is always silver, right?
Face plate has color options, right. Thinking about adding white btw. Body has always the same color, a matte grey looking more like concrete than silver.

StefaanE

Forum Donor

Archsam

Good to see another option for a quality power amp from a European company.

I do agreed though it is getting difficult for any of the class D Hypex / Purifi mono / stereo amp manufacturers to stand out among other competitors. I for one was tempted to try my hands on a Hypex nCore NC252MP based amp, but other than the Audiophonics model which is significantly cheaper than everyone else, there is not much between all the other options besides deciding which case I like best. Only reason I haven't bought the Audiophonics is because they don't come in silver.

I had a look at assembling my own amps and Hypex amp modules are surprisingly difficult to find, other than perhaps the NC400. And once you factor in the power supply and the case + hardware (e.g. Ghentaudio) the total for a pair of NC400 monoblocks is already around £1000. The Hypex NC400 kit is in fact more expensive than that - €699 each from Soundinports.

So can anyone tell me if these DIY kits are cheaper to put together in America? I certainly don't see a lot of options here in the UK.

OP
boXem

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Good to see another option for a quality power amp from a European company.

I do agreed though it is getting difficult for any of the class D Hypex / Purifi mono / stereo amp manufacturers to stand out among other competitors. I for one was tempted to try my hands on a Hypex nCore NC252MP based amp, but other than the Audiophonics model which is significantly cheaper than everyone else, there is not much between all the other options besides deciding which case I like best. Only reason I haven't bought the Audiophonics is because they don't come in silver.

I had a look at assembling my own amps and Hypex amp modules are surprisingly difficult to find, other than perhaps the NC400. And once you factor in the power supply and the case + hardware (e.g. Ghentaudio) the total for a pair of NC400 monoblocks is already around £1000. The Hypex NC400 kit is in fact more expensive than that - €699 each from Soundinports.

So can anyone tell me if these DIY kits are cheaper to put together in America? I certainly don't see a lot of options here in the UK.
Since the thread is on our products, I can do the salesman :)

I agree that besides Audiophonics, all offerings are pretty close, which is the reason why we paid some effort differentiating ourselves.
- the case (available in silver btw ;)) is a matter of taste, so I wont discuss it, even if its objectively beautiful.
- clipping indicator, only another offering has it, and it's more expensive than ours.
- auto on-off, nobody else has it (besides NAD, for much more expensive products). It looks like a minor feature but I think it's life changing. For you, it'as an added comfort, but in case you share your place with other people (kids, partner, friends...) it's a game changer. "Normal" people don't like these procedures with many buttons just to listen some music. This makes the hobby intimidating, and keep them away. In my eyes, being able to share a passion is something quite rewarding.

DIYing an NC400 is not cheap, official pricing is available at diyclassd.com (Hypex DIY site). Wont be cheaper in the US.

Top Bottom