• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

World's Cheapest DAC Review

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Dacs and septic tanks makes one think of Schiit. Anyway, I am pooped, so I will sign out.
... and hope that your reply doesn't get flushed.

;)

(I... I couldn't help myself! The Devil made me do it! )

o_O:p:D:facepalm: - How much? $1,899?? "The Stellar DAC is the perfect foundation for those unwilling to compromise sound quality. Rich. Lush. Powerful. A music lover’s answer to spiraling cost-no-object equipment with major sacrifice."

Remind me again -- which bit is the lush bit? :cool:

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
This guy uses PCM1802 which is not as good, but it was used in the first E-MU 0404 PCI back in the mid-2000s. PCM1804 was reserved for their best devices
at the time like 1820M and 1616M.
Oops. Yeah, DR = 105 dB(A), passband ripple +/- 0.05 dB and stopband attenuation >65 dB sounds a bit more like it for a cheap little ADC.
Yes, the AK5394A basically was the #1 ADC chip for over a decade, and for good reason. I don't think that the whole package has really been bettered to this day if you want something for straightforward 24/96 or 24/192 recording. While AK557x get better dynamic range when combining multiple channels, you want to be running those at 384 kHz and do high-quality downsampling afterwards, which may be a bit of a hassle.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Nobody is possibly making any money selling these for a couple of dollars, not unless they got hold of them for essentially free.
Which I suspect they may have. Company makes these, company goes bust, a warehouse full of the things is auctioned off locally - it's all happened before. Plus shipping out of China is basically free for the seller.

Francis Vaughan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Which I suspect they may have. Company makes these, company goes bust, a warehouse full of the things is auctioned off locally - it's all happened before. Plus shipping out of China is basically free for the seller.
Yeah. The point @restorer-john was making is that these have been for sale for a very long time. So much so that it must have been a big warehouse full. I guess production runs of say 10,000 are not unusual so maybe there really was this sort of quantity.
I do find it curious that we have a local retailer still selling them at a relatively high price. Maybe they bought a pile of them years ago at full wholesale price and want their money back.

Last edited:
Reactions: wje

mmicko

Do you know some better DAC with optical (toslink) input and price max. approx. 30USD ?
I'm looking for something to be able connect my Samsung TV with external active spekers ...

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
Do you know some better DAC with optical (toslink) input and price max. approx. 30USD ?
I'm looking for something to be able connect my Samsung TV with external active spekers ...
Using ASR's search feature, it doesn't look like anything with Toslink under $30 has been tested here yet. The first recommendation with Toslink is the Topping E30 for $130.

I'd probably give the Fiio D3 ($23) a look if you need to stick to that price range.

mmicko

Using ASR's search feature, it doesn't look like anything with Toslink under $30 has been tested here yet. The first recommendation with Toslink is the Topping E30 for $130.

I'd probably give the Fiio D3 ($23) a look if you need to stick to that price range.

Thanks for good tip - this Fiio looks good and is available also in my country!
The cheapest tested DAC with toslink input is perhaps Toppind D10 but it´s still approx. 100USD...

Herbert

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If possible, I would like to see a multitone test on this "Cheapest Dac", just for fun.
I played some overtone singing performed by a choir on it and the DAC heavily distorted,
though the signal was about -6db from full scale. The distortion was repeatable and
always on certain notes. Never had this with any other DAC. Music source was this,
but of course I tested the DAC with the original CD:

In the video. the passage where the DAC clipped was around 1:53

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The distortion was repeatable and
always on certain notes.
If you go above the 0.8 volt level, it will distort heavily as i noted in the review. It clips badly.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Oh, a septic aside, if I may...

I clean the gunk filter on our septic tank out annually (per the recommendation/admonition of the folks who pump it :) ) and have it pumped every other year. Their counsel to me was "We can do it, but it costs you 75 bucks". :cool: So, I give 'em credit for the honesty. At any rate, I usually wait 'til fall for any (routine) septic related maintenance. This year, my wife asked me to show her how to do it. I wonder if she's like, taken out a life insurance policy on me lately or something... but, at any rate ;) show her I did.

It's not exactly fun, but it was a beautiful, cool, sunny fall day -- so it could've been worse. Wasn't too smelly. And the filter was pretty gunked up, so it was a good thing to take off of the "to-do" list!

No pics, though.

I will share a photo of the view from our leach field, though (not taken today, but rather on an early summer day a couple of years back, on a "Chamber of Commerce" day, as they say in Vermont). It's important to have a view from one's leach field, of course. :cool:

DSC_5081 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

gfx_1

Got pictures of the inside:
cheap-dac-top.jpg

cheap-dac-underside.jpg

GUS293

This is a picture of the inside of the one that was sent to Amir for testing. Note that it is different from the one shown above.
IMG_1457.jpg

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Mine is like gfx_1's, except that it has TG-285C silk-screened on the board instead of DTOA, and the large Cirrus-Logic chip has had its legend wiped so can't identify it. The silk-screened legend on the underside is also different, although the components look identical.

I wonder how many versions there are of this board?

Anyway, now that I've blocked the DC offset, mine works very well.

S.

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
I use one of these exact DACs to feed my VU Meters from the Coax output of the D10.

Personally I think it sounds fine for that use :p
That's a cool idea. What's your setup -- do you have a recommendation for RCA VU meters?

Top Bottom