• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ANIME.. Anyone?

Timbo2

I think funimation does a pretty good job personally. I cant stand it when there is one voice that is so grating that it ruins the entire show. Clickenbeard who does kid gohan in kai and luffy's voice........I'd rather listen to the hottest treble headphone than that.

Anime certainly lends itself better to dubbing than live action, but I'm firmly in the sub camp. My issues is usually the dub is even more localized than the subs and even further away from the original work. Also the number of voice actors in Japan is vast compared to the number of voice actors that actively dub here in the US so you get far more variety of voices.

That said many Japanese female VA's are outrageously high pitched.

That said my voice pitches higher in Japanese than it does in English. And my native Japanese friends note they feel they pitch higher in Japanese than they do speaking English as well.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
So how about ANIME.. anyone?

Akira
Ghost in The Shell
Ninja Scroll
Dead Leaves
Tekkonkinkreet
Metropolis
Cowboy Bebop (The Movie.. Haven't seen the series)
The Sky Crawlers
Memories (Love the Stink Bomb segment!)
Blood, The Last Vampire
Steamboy (Please don't judge me :oops:)
AD Police Files 1-3
+ most of the Hayao Miyazaki classics

That's my modest collection.

Also loved The Seven Deadly Sins on Netflix, and One-Punch Man is one of the funniest things I've ever seen :D

Tachyon88

@Timbo2 I dont prefer higher pitched voices, but there is something about those particular voices on those characters at certain times that just drive me insane. I could never acclimate to it. Hence my hyperbolic statement.

Sandbo

Some of my highly recommended ones:
  • Haibane Renmei (lesser known gems)
  • Serial Experiment Lain (a weird one but nice to see)
  • Made in Abyss (imho, best in this decade, not for weak souls)
  • Deca-dance (rare good original, from the last season Summer 2020)
  • Gurren Lagann
  • Land of the Lustrous (mainly for its implementation)
  • Hunter x Hunter (2011) (guess I don't have to speak for this)
There are many more, but I can only recall this much for now LOL

bt3

Akira
Ghost in The Shell
Ninja Scroll
Dead Leaves
Tekkonkinkreet
Metropolis
Cowboy Bebop (The Movie.. Haven't seen the series)
The Sky Crawlers
Memories (Love the Stink Bomb segment!)
Blood, The Last Vampire
Steamboy (Please don't judge me :oops:)
AD Police Files 1-3
+ most of the Hayao Miyazaki classics

That's my modest collection.

Also loved The Seven Deadly Sins on Netflix, and One-Punch Man is one of the funniest things I've ever seen :D
You have listed a bunch of my favorites. Think Gibson's book Neuromancer would make for an interesting anime.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
And for those of you who can't decide if you want English or the original voices - why not both?

One of my favourite clips!

Timbo2

• Gurren Lagann

I think made in Abyss works better as an anime than manga. The manga needs to end before it wrecks the series.

Deca-dance surprised me in a good way.

I've tried twice to get through Gurren Lagann and failed both times.

Land of the Lustrous is so-so for me, but the strength of the voice actress who portrayed Phosphophyllite and the growth she gave the character barely nudges it into the thumbs up category for me.

OP
F

fairx

• Gurren Lagann
from your list, hats off to haibane renmei. I'm at loss for words after watching the 4? 5? 6? ep? Can't remember it's been long ago (fansubs age) but one of those revelation episodes really blew me off. Nowadays any anime that supposed mimic the idea need to raise the bar IMO (angel beats *cough..*).

Sandbo

from your list, hats off to haibane renmei. I'm at loss for words after watching the 4? 5? 6? ep? Can't remember it's been long ago (fansubs age) but one of those revelation episodes really blew me off. Nowadays any anime that supposed mimic the idea need to raise the bar IMO (angel beats *cough..*).
Wow, do you know how hard for me to find someone feeling exactly the same LOL
And yes, Angel Beats, the author claimed he was referencing to Haibane renmei and had me hyped......can't be more disappointed.

Haibane Renmei is one of the first anime I got really attached, where I started going after the songs, following other work of the same producer/directors.

I was thrilled when Despera was announced, and then so sad it was put on hold indefinitely due to the death of the director.

Last edited:

Timbo2

OK for you Haibane Renmei fans - I couldn't get through Serial Experiments Lain and found Angel Beats uninspiring. On that basis I'm going to assume that Haibane Renmei isn't for me. Does that seem correct?

Sandbo

OK for you Haibane Renmei fans - I couldn't get through Serial Experiments Lain and found Angel Beats uninspiring. On that basis I'm going to assume that Haibane Renmei isn't for me. Does that seem correct?
I would say Lain is pretty different comparing to Haibane Renmei, I tend to believe the correlation isn't there.
For Angel Beats, I don't want to trigger those who likes it, but the atmosphere simply didn't build up for me and I was remotely attached to any characters, the show felt dragged-on. Imho, Haibane Renmei was faster-paced and the music/sceneries combined to give me a strong impression about "the kind of world" the story was set in, in that sense it gave me a similar thrill as Made in Abyss.

Sorry I never wrote anime review so it might not be really helpful, but in short, even if you do not like Lain/Angel Beats, it is not connecting to not liking Haibane Renmei, I guess. MyAnimeList has some great reviews on the above, you may want to see how people like/dislike it. Problem is they often include the stories as they talk about the anime......lol

Timbo2

Thanks @Sandbo .

For those who like dystopian worlds I can also recommend Ergo Proxy. Funny enough, I'm more of a "slice of life" guy. To much bleakness in the real world for me to want large doses of it in my entertainment.

Sandbo

Thanks @Sandbo .

For those who like dystopian worlds I can also recommend Ergo Proxy. Funny enough, I'm more of a "slice of life" guy. To much bleakness in the real world for me to want large doses of it in my entertainment.
Thanks for the suggestion, heard about this one but haven't watched it yet, will give it a shot.
Right, as I grow older (now 30) I do start to find myself avoiding heavier topics in animes, but once in a while I wouldn't mind seeing one - if I could get emotionally attached to the characters and the world, kind of why I really liked Made in Abyss.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To much bleakness in the real world for me to want large doses of it in my entertainment.

I usually prefer the bleakness for that. It make RL seem so much better. Been going though history podcasts and audiobooks lately for the same reason.

OP
F

fairx

it's different. I didn't enjoy Lain either. Angel beats and Haibane might share some fundamentals but Haibane is more mature and thread the idea better.

Might be a little too late to say this but try to get into Haibane with less expectations. the less the better

I like my anime lighter so I'd pick Niea Under 7 rather than Lain or Texhnolyze, but that didn't stop me from enjoying Haibane,

zenki

Anime is kinda ded or dying unfortunately.
The oldies OSTs though is a different story.

D

Deleted member 17820

I have watched much but can't remember them all.
AngelBeats was pretyy good.

Silver1omo

In no particular order:
FLCL
Fullmetal alchemist (watched both)
Cowboy bebop (Love the OST)
Hellsing
Rurouni Kenshin (later gets annoying)
Shaman King
Soul Eater

I remember waking up extra early on weekends to watch Saint Seiya and Queen Millennia.

Top Bottom