• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Matrix Audio Element X DAC/Streamer/Amp

raykkho

Forum Donor
Try uninstalling and reinstalling the app. That worked for me.

Thanks, did that but the same.

I did try the app on iPhone it detected FW update needs but promptly disconnected itself. The connection to Android app was solid but no updates. I guess I might have to try the USB route.

Incidentally the FW seems to address functionality changes only, am I correct?

F1308

Major Contributor
Wow, no internet connection. I have 9000 albums stored locally (NAS), but continue to find new music suggested by Roon from both Tidal and Qobuz. I can not imagine a world without internet connection to my music system :)

Edit:
In my opinion the best way to use the Element X is via Roon.

Glad you are happy with your settings.
So I am with mine.
I get into the web when I feel like that, no need to be online permanently to dimm the bulbs or open the fridge...

About my JPG/PNG dilema, any help...? Thanks.

F1308

Major Contributor
Hi, PNG works as well .
Thank you very much...
Christmas is around the corner....
And many congratulations indeed for such a great product line.

1 TB micro SD cards [storing around 2750 CDs to FLAC, if full] are already being sold. The limitation to 128 GB [350 CDs] reflected in the operating manual is something I don't quite understand. ...?

Last edited:

somy

Thank you very much...
Christmas is around the corner....
And many congratulations indeed for such a great product line.

1 TB micro SD cards [storing around 2750 CDs to FLAC, if full] are already being sold. The limitation to 128 GB [350 CDs] reflected in the operating manual is something I don't quite understand. ...?
Does png work for you? Jpg doesn’t work as I reported earlier on. I have element m though.

F1308

Major Contributor
Does png work for you? Jpg doesn’t work as I reported earlier on. I have element m though.
I was asking before buying...Sorry not being able to help you.

But bearing in mind all pictures you take with your camera are in jpg...

Don't understand so many requirements...acces to all your files !!!
You are playing music...ask for access to wav, FLAC...and the likes.
Looking for art...? Request access to PNG,TIF, TIFF...
Location to access a private local network...?

7000 mllion people knowing I am listening Blowing in the wind once more !!! Or is it The Times They Are A-Changin' ?

Another 3000$ into my socks...

Last edited:

neukrisz

Audio Company
Wireless N 2x2 (up to 300Mbps) vs. AC 2x2 (up to 867Mbps)

I purchased the MA Element X partly because it's supports the 2x2 AC WiFi radio for the smoothest usage where the Ethernet isn't available.
After few days I've tried the WiFi mode and I realized that the connection is 300Mbps between my router and the Element X. After I contacted the Matrix support, they said that the AC mode and the 867Mbps bandwidth should be available because the Element X has a discrete Intel 7260 NGFF card inside.
As I remember from the past I had a very similar problem with one of my ThinkPad laptop which had the same type of the Intel 7260 card without real AC speed connection. After some investigation I found that there're two different sub-type of Intel 7260:
a: Model: 7260NGW (Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260)
b: Model: 7260NGW BN (Dual Band Wireless-N 7260)

Unfortunately despite the first/original specifications of the Element X which declared the AC speed - the supply chain of the Matrix Audio purchased and equipped BN version cards into the Element X. :(

Of course I know well that the 300Mbps should be enough for playback of all audio files, but I think in case of premium WiFi network (like mine) the real 867Mbps (faster response time and buffering) can effect positively for the quality of the playback.

I purchased an AC version of Intel generic (non Lenovo/HP OEM) WiFi card and already replaced in my unit. (note: don't buy lenovo/HP card because they are modified firmware and won't work in generic applications!)
Now it's working with 867Mbps connection like a charm! ;)

The manufacturer has been revised the specifications on the MA website to N from AC.

Attachments

• IMG_8290.jpg
    IMG_8290.jpg
    465.6 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:

chi2

Forum Donor
@neukrisz
Great find, thanks! While 300Mbps in theory should be enough, I suspect and actually hope that this is the cause behind the interruption issues when streaming MQA content from Tidal to the Element X. I've ordered a board and will report back if this solves the problem. Thanks again, Urs

raykkho

Forum Donor

I purchased the MA Element X partly because it's supports the 2x2 AC WiFi radio for the smoothest usage where the Ethernet isn't available.
After few days I've tried the WiFi mode and I realized that the connection is 300Mbps between my router and the Element X. After I contacted the Matrix support, they said that the AC mode and the 867Mbps bandwidth should be available because the Element X has a discrete Intel 7260 NGFF card inside.
As I remember from the past I had a very similar problem with one of my ThinkPad laptop which had the same type of the Intel 7260 card without real AC speed connection. After some investigation I found that there're two different sub-type of Intel 7260:

Unfortunately despite the first/original specifications of the Element X which declared the AC speed - the supply chain of the Matrix Audio purchased and equipped BN version cards into the Element X. :(

Of course I know well that the 300Mbps should be enough for playback of all audio files, but I think in case of premium WiFi network (like mine) the real 867Mbps (faster response time and buffering) can effect positively for the quality of the playback.

I purchased an AC version of Intel generic (non Lenovo/HP OEM) WiFi card and already replaced in my unit. (note: don't buy lenovo/HP card because they are modified firmware and won't work in generic applications!)

The manufacturer has been revised the specifications on the MA website to N from AC.

Wow, fantastic investigative work I must say, well done and thanks for sharing!

I suppose the replacement of the WiFi module is straight forward and no soldering is required? Can you share if there is any noticeable improvement such as may be data logon speed, stability? I am fortunate that my X is close to my router and have very good reception and response speed for virtually all the high-res material I can throw at it, but still curious about your upgrade. :)

Also would you mind sharing where you purchased your card from? I found a few listing here:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=7260ngw+intel&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

Last edited:

somy

guess you’ll lose warranty by opening yourself?

neukrisz

Audio Company
Also would you mind sharing where you purchased your card from? I found a few listing here:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=7260ngw+intel&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

I bought this from eBay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Dual...oth-BT4-0-NGFF-867Mbps-Wifi-Card/254390069646
No need to solder anything at all - you'll need just few type of screwdrivers only :)

guess you’ll lose warranty by opening yourself?

I just fixed a manufacturer's mistake. (at my cost!)
By the way I contacted with MA support and asked a permission before the procedure. So in my case I guess the warranty is still alive.

Last edited:

somy

I bought this from eBay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Dual...oth-BT4-0-NGFF-867Mbps-Wifi-Card/254390069646
No need to solder anything at all - you'll need just few type of screwdrivers only :)

I just fixed a manufacturer's mistake. (at my cost!)
By the way I contacted with MA support and asked a permission before the procedure. So in my case I guess the warranty is still alive.
hi, I think they have corrected the spec. Where can I find the old spec? Thanks
BTW WiFi matters as the ethernet is only 100Mbps lol

neukrisz

Audio Company
hi, I think they have corrected the spec. Where can I find the old spec? Thanks

Last time when I checked the manual has still contained the AC spec.
https://www.matrix-digi.com/pdf/element_X_Manual_EN.pdf
Page 19

There is one important thing what I still don't understand clearly that the main processor (SoC) of the Element X (NXP SoC) has 1Gbps Ethernet feature while the unit is supporting the 100Mbps LAN speed only...
Is it a hardware limitation around the SoC what external components were used by the MA or this can be 1Gbps by a firmware/software upgrade in the future??
This would be more than nice!

Attachments

• image_2020-10-17_103710.png
    image_2020-10-17_103710.png
    10.1 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:

neukrisz

Audio Company
Hi, thanks! I have Element M in the manual it also says AC but I got issues with WiFi so I’m now using ethernet but it would be ideal to use WiFi so I can move around. How to find out which network card I have without opening the device?

I'm pretty sure that you have 300Mbps card inside, but if your WiFi router is smart enough you can check the connection speed by yourself.
This is mine:

Attachments

• IMG_8301.jpg
    IMG_8301.jpg
    296.2 KB · Views: 108

somy

Hmm looks like you’re right. Can’t believe it’s true.
BTW can anybody confirm if you have the same problem with local album cover art?
Thanks

somy

Just did a test with my Element M on WiFi 5G and I can confirm it only support 802.11n with max speed 300Mbps. I’m not impressed!!!

Attachments

• 69949581-E5F4-4050-A27B-FE4CB90F870E.png
    69949581-E5F4-4050-A27B-FE4CB90F870E.png
    188.7 KB · Views: 94
Top Bottom