• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Matrix Audio Element X DAC/Streamer/Amp

chi2

Forum Donor
I did the firmware upgrade on the element x only to see that using the iOS app continuous playback in Tidal, that is automatic title switching, still isn't supported. Either you have to play full albums from the start or, when entering with a specific title, you have to manually jump to the next one each and every time as playback just stops at the end of any directly selected title. I don't know of any other streaming application that doesn't allow continuous playback. For a product that is advertised as a high quality streaming solution I find this to be very disappointing.

TGB

How's the iOS MA Remote App on the X? I am having issues with it lately with my M. I have updated both my OS to iOS 14, updated the App and firmware, same thing, can't detect the network(wifi or LAN). Seems isolated to iOS since I got 6 devices that I tried, only Android and Roon works fine.
iOS MA Remote App is working very well with the Element X. Not found any issues.

somy

I also experienced several small issues with the new app. There is a new version from yesterday which fixed an issue for me.

sonusfaberx

iOS MA Remote App is working very well with the Element X. Not found any issues.

Thanks, I was able to figure out the iOS App issue by uninstalling and reinstalling the MA App and going through the new device setup process via Wifi.

I still get that lag on Tidal though, and Matrix Audio told me they are still working on optimizing it.

TGB

Thanks, I was able to figure out the iOS App issue by uninstalling and reinstalling the MA App and going through the new device setup process via Wifi.

I still get that lag on Tidal though, and Matrix Audio told me they are still working on optimizing it.
I only use Roon :)

But I have of course tested the rest of the functionality in the Element X.

Last edited:

raykkho

Forum Donor
For some reasons I'm still not getting notifications from the app or the unit itself to get the FW updates, anyone has any advice? Perhaps this is regional? I'm not too worry about this since my X is truly solid right now. Thanks.

somy

For some reasons I'm still not getting notifications from the app or the unit itself to get the FW updates, anyone has any advice? Perhaps this is regional? I'm not too worry about this since my X is truly solid right now. Thanks.
Have you updated the app?

neukrisz

Audio Company
To Matrix Guys:
Is it possible to show the artist/track information on the OLED display of the Element X during the playback? (...and the progress bar of the playing track)
For me this is a useful feature when I'm using my Lumin streamer and this is missing for me from this unit...

Thanks in advance!

ps: Why I cannot jump to time position of the playing track with the MA Remote app?
This is also strange after the usage of Lumin...

Last edited:

MatrixAudio

Audio Company
To Matrix Guys:
Is it possible to show the artist/track information on the OLED display of the Element X during the playback? (...and the progress bar of the playing track)
For me this is a useful feature when I'm using my Lumin streamer and this is missing for me from this unit...

Thanks in advance!

ps: Why I cannot jump to time position of the playing track with the MA Remote app?
This is also strange after the usage of Lumin...
The OLED display of element X is a grayscale display, and the resolution is not high enough.
If we put too much contents on it, the display effect will not make you satisfied.

For the issue you mentioned, can you specify?

neukrisz

Audio Company
The OLED display of element X is a grayscale display, and the resolution is not high enough.
If we put too much contents on it, the display effect will not make you satisfied.

As I see the resolution of the display isn't higher than than the Lumin's. I guess you can create an additional "page" for the display mode to show the track information only - without any existing infos. Maybe the quick access button which can be programmed now can set to this...

The issue what I tried to explain is when the playback is going and I'd like to jump the current track another time position isn't possible. I have to listen the whole track and I can't jump in the middle for example.
Is it clearer now?

somy

Hi, thanks for the new version. It brings improvements
1) DSD with multiple artists is imported correctly
2) Tidal playback is more responsive

It now also displays more album covers when I select "Get album cover image" option. However I still miss cover art for roughly 20% of albums. In the release note it mentions the support for local cover art, how can I enable local cover art?
Thank you!

sonusfaberx

Try uninstalling and reinstalling the app. That worked for me.

MatrixAudio

Audio Company
Hi, thanks for the new version. It brings improvements
1) DSD with multiple artists is imported correctly
2) Tidal playback is more responsive

It now also displays more album covers when I select "Get album cover image" option. However I still miss cover art for roughly 20% of albums. In the release note it mentions the support for local cover art, how can I enable local cover art?
Thank you!
With the latest firmware and app, the app displays local cover arts by default, if you enable the option "Get album cover image", it means that you allow the app to get album arts from internet.

somy

With the latest firmware and app, the app displays local cover arts by default, if you enable the option "Get album cover image", it means that you allow the app to get album arts from internet.
Hmm, it doesn’t seem to work for me. what local image does it need? I have cover art embedded as well as folder.jpg in the album folder.

MatrixAudio

Audio Company
Hmm, it doesn’t seem to work for me. what local image does it need? I have cover art embedded as well as folder.jpg in the album folder.
How did you think it not work?
The working logistic is: The app reads all the .jpg files from the album folder as album images first, if there's no album art pics, then it access 3rd party album art sources.
Did you checked the 20% albums which have no album cover images, if there're .jpg pictures in the folder?

somy

The working logistic is: The app reads all the .jpg files from the album folder as album images first, if there's no album art pics, then it access 3rd party album art sources.
Did you checked the 20% albums which have no album cover images, if there're .jpg pictures in the folder?
Hi, yes I have folder.jpg in all folders.
Edit: I have tried to delete/re-add the smb share without luck.

Last edited:

F1308

Major Contributor

All my albums have art files in PNG format.
Will they work, please ? Or is jpg needed ?
I am in a local network, don't want any internet connection be active to my music system.
Thank you.

TGB

Wow, no internet connection. I have 9000 albums stored locally (NAS), but continue to find new music suggested by Roon from both Tidal and Qobuz. I can not imagine a world without internet connection to my music system :)

Edit:
In my opinion the best way to use the Element X is via Roon.

Top Bottom