• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is Canare L-4E5C cable good for custom headphone cables?

MadMan

Pretty simple per title. This cable is marketed as microphone cable, do its properties make it good for custom headphone cables too?

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's pretty good. I used a 1/8" extension cable made with L-4E5C for several years. Just measured the signal to ground capacitance on it and it was half that of stock HD650 cable.

It could be more supple, but there are stock cables which are worse.

OP
M

MadMan

I see. Does anyone have recommendations for DIY headphone cables? I don't mind fancy or exotic stuff, weirdly with signal cables I have had some rather non-objective experiences.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I see. Does anyone have recommendations for DIY headphone cables? I don't mind fancy or exotic stuff, weirdly with signal cables I have had some rather non-objective experiences.

What are you looking for in a cable? Better aesthetics? Better ergonomics? Or something else?

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
I've used Canare L-2B2AT for small cables. 3.2mm diameter. You could probably use some cable braid to give it a funky appearance to your liking.

braid.jpg

Top Bottom