• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kii THREE

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Well that is not what the chap from Tymphany told me, Genelec don't like to advertise the fact for obvious reasons, Tymphany also I believe make the drivers for the new Beolab 50's.
Keith

Mivera

Major Contributor
I think it depends on the model. Obviously they don't use PHL for the lower end stuff. The KII3 uses Seas mid and tweeter, with Chinese woofers. The Scan-Speak Illuminators the Beolab 90's use are too expensive for a $20000 speaker sold through dealers. This is why they use the Tymphany's in the 50's.

firedog

Made some tests with my turntable and some files in Tidal (Not with the Kii, waiting for the stands). Listened to some music, always in the digital version and the analog one in about 80db. To my ears, most of the musics sound pretty much the same.. There were some musics that the digital version sounded better to my ears, but in a few times not, specially the "The Police Synchonicity" record, that sounded pretty bad in the digital version. Maybe something related with the mastering? My old Dac? Or I am just plain crazy? Weird, isn't?
Find the old SACD/DSD versions of the Police albums - they sound fantastic and have no added volume compression - unlike modern remasters. The MFSL of synchronicity is also very good.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Kii Audio won the most innovative product award at this year’s RMAF!
Keith

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
I guess dark monitors are for people who want a blacker sound stage?

What you see is what you get.

c1ferrari

Forum Donor
Were Kii being supported by Grace Design...did you sense any excitement at AES relative to these monitors?

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I got a new chance to audition the Threes today. This time it was at a very good room. Last time it was at a cramped and small living room with horrendous acoustics. But fundamentally, my experience was similar to last time. There's no doubt that these are excellent speakers. They are very precise, imaging is great, and the bass output is extremely impressive given the size. Still, subjectively and to my ears, they don't seem like the final word in sound reproduction. My reservations:

- there is something in the treble which I find ever so slightly artificial. I have difficulty pinpointing it exactly, but my experience was similar this time to last time. I should mention that I have no problem hearing up to 20 khz. I don't know if it's the drivers or the amplification or something else, or if my own subjectivity plays a trick on me. But I'm not 100% convinced by the uppermost registers.

- even in a good room like this with symmetrical placement and seating, they felt like "small speakers" (which they are, of course). What I mean by this is that the acoustical source feels small. This is also something I have some trouble describing in a good way, but I often have the experience that bigger drivers or well-eq'ed horns - EDIT: and large electrostats - couple the soundwaves to the air in a more natural manner (so that the kick drum doesn't have to crawl its way out of the speaker, but that it's just there in front of you). The Kiis feel much bigger than other small speakers, but still can't be compared to big horns or speakers with large and effortless drivers.

- I think - but I'm not sure - that I perceived some compression or distortion in the bass. This is the point where I'm least sure about my own subjective evaluation. Bass is extremely room dependent, and it might very well have been resonances in the room.

These are my reservations. On the plus side, it is obviously a very good speaker. First and foremost it seems like an excellent musical allrounder, which does most things very well, and doesn't have any glaring shortcomings. Precise, authoritative, correct, and engaging. And compact of course. Not the final word in audio, IMO, but still a good offering.

Last edited:

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
May I ask how old are you?
Keith

Sure. 36. I took a hearing test a year ago. Might have deteriorated a bit since then of course. I need to turn the volume up to hear things at 20 khz (loudness contour etc), but I have no problem discerning it.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Really 20KHz at 36, I think you might be a tad optimistic!
Keith

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sure, who knows...:) The test might not have been perfect. Anyway, my point was merely that I do hear fairly high notes, which means that I'm sensitive to what goes on up there.

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And, forgot to mention: I recently also re-auditioned the Grimm LS1. Narrow sweet spot, but in that sweet spot they are probably the best speakers I know. I don't agree that they and the Kiis "sound alike", as I've heard some say.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I think - but I'm not sure - that I perceived some compression or distortion in the bass.

This measurement supports that possibility.

upload_2017-10-27_12-5-20.png

Loud and Low they have appreciable levels of harmonics, I suppose.

Top Bottom